Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2144197)   #1
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport emotions

Ok here is a potentially interesting topic!

How many of you have ever shed a tear of joy when watching any form of motorsport?

If so, what occassion and why?
Old 4 Mar 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2144446)   #2
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit that at the first ever Rockingham 500 i was absolutely blown away by the champ cars on the ovals. De Ferran and Brack were battling throughout the last laps, and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I shed a little tear at the end of that race.

I was at Imola 1994, but i was only 8, so i was abit too young to realise the extent of everything going on that weekend. (obviously wouldn't have been tears of Joy, but you know what i mean)

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 5 Mar 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2144748)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The British GP last year was quite emotional for me because it was my first ever GP, having followed racing since I was eight. Good times indeed.

I was also pretty teary during the Colin McRae tribute at the Race of Champions.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2145620)   #4
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Imola for the 2004 Grand Prix. It was pretty emotional when Gerhard Berger ran those laps in Senna's old Lotus. Everyone in the stands just stood and applauded

http://olly83.deviantart.com/art/Ber...ibute-30257124

My first Le Mans in 2003 was also pretty special not least because the Bentley Boys won but also because I had wanted to go there for so long, and suddenly I was there at one of the most legendary locations in motorsport. I havent missed one since and don't intend on doing so!!
Old 6 Mar 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2145644)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
It was a 1990 BTCC race I think, when Nettan Lingren (not a Jonathon Palmer fan, but that's another story) won the 2 litre class. At the end of the race, everyone in the pitlane (other teams & marshals) spontaneously stopped what they were doing and applauded her as she drove down the pitlane.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2145768)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leaning over the fences at the Hunaudieres restaurant at Le Mans at my first 24 Hours in 1986. Watching Group C Jags, Porsches and Mazdas. A moment that will live with me for the rest of my days......
Old 6 Mar 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2145785)   #7
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lemans series silverstone 2005, was my first proper race meet, the first thing i saw when i got there was the lights of a pescarolo screaming out of club corner and the noise was astonishing, my ears were hurting just from the ambient noise of 45 LM cars.

then when i went closer one image was seared into my head, 2 porsche 911 GTS RSR's diving under the bridge going into bridge corner from a distance, now that was pretty incredible.

oh and seeing an audi R8 LMP going full chat in qualifying trim, bobing up and down at 170mph with sparks shooting out of the sides was pretty cool, as was the zytek.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2145839)   #8
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could shed many a tear for the way that most circuits have been totally emasculated in the name of safety in this Nanny State.

Anyone who can remember the entrance to Paddock at Brands in the eighties would surely shed some tears at not being able to view this wonderfull braking area head on due to the Pathetic Black Shuttering and double debris fence that so ruins a specatators experiance nowadays.
Don't get me wrong still love the place but I want to be able to show my younger friends what it used to be like.

There are many many more distressing instances all over Europe.

On a Joy note: A few:

Seeing Alan Mcnish back to winning ways after Donnington F3000 1990

My first sight of a V12 Ferrari in the flesh as a schoolboy Reutemann and Villeneuve under the bridge and into Clearways in 78

Many a sensational FF Festival now so sadly different.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2145983)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I can't say I've shed any in emotion about motorsport, but I almost shed some in frustration at Snetterton last year, when I spun on my own oil on the last lap when in the lead of the class after 40 mins gggggggggrrrr
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Mar 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2145993)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I nearly shed a tear of joy at Silverstone last year when Hamilton nicked the pole. A roar went up from the crowd, and there was a great feeling of togetherness. It's a moment I won't forget.

Other than that, summer days at Knickerbrook always make me a bit misty eyed, as they remind me of my childhood
Old 6 Mar 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2145995)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
I can't say I've shed any in emotion about motorsport, but I almost shed some in frustration at Snetterton last year, when I spun on my own oil on the last lap when in the lead of the class after 40 mins gggggggggrrrr
Plus it was televised!

I remember watching it whilst having my breakfast and thinking, "here, that's that bloke from Ten-Tenths!"
Old 7 Mar 2008, 00:04 (Ref:2146050)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Trust me to have the TV cam in the car, its always the kiss of death ! Right in front of John Turner (with camera in hand)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Mar 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2146318)   #13
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have had many emotions watching races and I tingle when I'm watching proper racing cars in the flesh. But the one time I was teary was when Alex Zanardi went back to Lausitz after his dreadful accident to run those final 13 laps with a mexican wave from the fans following him around. Magic.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2146430)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I've cried once or twice at Snetterton when I have lost an engine at the end of the back straight (several times )!
Old 8 Mar 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2146805)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Zanardi winning his first WTCC race was pretty amazing!

But cant say I get emotionally involved with racing really, coz most of the time you cant get near teh drivers or teasm to establish that kind of link
Old 8 Mar 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2146865)   #16
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Paddockman]Could shed many a tear for the way that most circuits have been totally emasculated in the name of safety in this Nanny State.

Anyone who can remember the entrance to Paddock at Brands in the eighties would surely shed some tears at not being able to view this wonderfull braking area head on due to the Pathetic Black Shuttering and double debris fence that so ruins a specatators experiance nowadays.
Don't get me wrong still love the place but I want to be able to show my younger friends what it used to be like.

Couldn't agree with you more. I used to love the old Silverstone circuit (both club and GP) but haven't been there since the early 90's because of the way it has been ruined.

If you want to show your mates what it used to be like then try the 750MC meeting at Lydden later in the year. One of the highlights of the year for me.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 00:37 (Ref:2147898)   #17
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get a pretty good feeling whenever i arrive for FIA GT or LMS, and my first sight of Eau Rouge, peering through a fence at 5am, having been on the road for a long time, was breathtaking.

And when I heard Steve Hislop had died, and the same with Colin (even more so when i heard about his kid as well), i very nearly cried.

Won't match the moment when i stood in the millenium stadium and shed a tear for land of my fathers. everytime its as good, even if i don't know the words (i'm mostly english, but the welsh quarter of me made me fall for welsh rugby a few years ago. a good choice, it seems now!).