Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 24 Feb 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3209877)   #226
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
I wonder if the use (over use?) of concrete barriers has anything to do with the fact that they were part of the assets taken over by AV8s when Hamilton folded.
As I understand it, AV8s put in a "financial contribution" to Pukekohe in the ATEED (Auckland Council) deal and no doubt part of that "financial contribution" was the value of the Hamilton Street Race concrete barriers. The result has been that a purpose built circuit (Pukekohe) has been at least partially turned into a quasi street circuit primarily because AV8s had the concrete barriers and needed to have them used as part of their "contribution" to the Pukekohe upgrade package.

i just hope they cun out before they see the need to line the Esses with them to stop the apex being cut
Old 25 Feb 2013, 00:16 (Ref:3210230)   #227
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The placement certainly is interesting isn't it.... I would have thought the first area in need of a barrier re-contour was the inside of the track, where Jones, Anderson et al have gone square into the barrier that separates pitlane...

Can't help but think if we're going to see more cars coming back onto the track with the way the barriers are now....

I'm also starting to think of the countless numbers of cars I've seen go wide at the top, use the grass and safely rejoin..... now there's a wall there.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3210424)   #228
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
It is surprising, no doubt about it. The use of the concrete walling makes sense in many ways but right on the track edge is a strange one. On street circuits it's the norm due mainly to lack of room for runoff, alignments - stuff like that. On a permanent track it's weird.

Being the type of blocks they are they can of course move under impact, or even crack / break which has happened before - might mean repair delays. I think someone suggested earlier that this setup is for the V8s and that the blocks can be removed for other forms of racing if needed - that might provide a good solution for wider use. Only question in my mind if it's done that way is where the concrete wall down the straight to turn 1 joins the existing wall at the "mountain" and how that'll all work.

Track's certainly getting a substantial makeover isn't it?
Old 25 Feb 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3210667)   #229
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highlands are doing something similar through their forest part I think..
Old 25 Feb 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3210723)   #230
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
The placement certainly is interesting isn't it.... I would have thought the first area in need of a barrier re-contour was the inside of the track, where Jones, Anderson et al have gone square into the barrier that separates pitlane...

Can't help but think if we're going to see more cars coming back onto the track with the way the barriers are now....

I'm also starting to think of the countless numbers of cars I've seen go wide at the top, use the grass and safely rejoin..... now there's a wall there.
I agree Chappelli, seems they are solving problems that haven't happened often and not solving the major issues that have happened many times.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 11:23 (Ref:3211106)   #231
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
Highlands are doing something similar through their forest part I think..
That would make sense - some of those trees are awefully close to the track.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3214004)   #232
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those on Facebook, here's a current set of pics on the most recent updates. Control tower looking swanky. Good little round-up.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4334513&type=1
Old 4 Mar 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3214016)   #233
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looking pretty good, although it doesn't look like they're replacing the worn out old bleachers on Ford Mountain...
Old 4 Mar 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3214280)   #234
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its funny as i have been to Hamilton quite a few times over the last few weeks. Normally at this time of year the street circuit is underway and its all very exciting in the Tron.

Now all you see is truck after truck with barriers, over-passes, cage structures etc heading north to their new home.

Are those pit facilities actually going to be garages (like at HD) or just pit bays?

And yeah, have to agree the control tower does look nice
Old 5 Mar 2013, 10:10 (Ref:3214453)   #235
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Are those pit facilities actually going to be garages (like at HD) or just pit bays?
From what I understand, there will be marquees underneath for the pits and more marquees on top for the hospitality - pretty much the same as before. So, not real garages like Manfeild or Hampton Downs or Taupo or....

Q: With all of the area behind the pits now levelled off to allow transporters or containers to line up behind each pit, where are they going to put the stairs to get onto the upper level?
Old 11 Mar 2013, 23:22 (Ref:3217264)   #236
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Guys,

Just looking at getting our tickets for the V8SC event. Does anyone know what sort of viewing access around the track we will have with general admission tickets, or are we best to get grandstand tickets. All the grandstand seats are fully reserved, so once you choose your grandstand and pay for the ticket, that's where you're going to be for the event. I guess you can still wander around the same as a GA ticket though? Any recommendations are welcome, thanks, Sam.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 00:00 (Ref:3217276)   #237
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's with building a massively tall timing building? Loks like it'll block the view to the back straight...... and I can't see any reason why you need to have it that tall?
Old 12 Mar 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3217284)   #238
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe they need a set amount of space and option up was more favorable than option out
Old 12 Mar 2013, 00:51 (Ref:3217293)   #239
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A video has popped-up of the rFactor mod of the new Pukekohe circuit. Quite interesting. I'm not convinced either way yet on whether it'll be a decent passing opportunity or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgAO6j1Hamg
Old 12 Mar 2013, 01:07 (Ref:3217296)   #240
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
What's with building a massively tall timing building? Loks like it'll block the view to the back straight...... and I can't see any reason why you need to have it that tall?
At a guess, this is to replace the existing race control which is currently up in the stands, as the race controller is far better off having a direct view of the whole track rather than relying on other means of communication, which as we all know, can be suspect.
Communicating directly with race control is very difficult when it is so remote.

Until there is a race control building at HD, we have the problem of not only crossing the track, but also gaining access to the apartment where race control is sited! A commentator inside the track at the moment cannot see any more than the average spectator either.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3217311)   #241
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
A video has popped-up of the rFactor mod of the new Pukekohe circuit. Quite interesting. I'm not convinced either way yet on whether it'll be a decent passing opportunity or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgAO6j1Hamg
Well that is interesting, and the youtube blurb suggest a lap of just over the 1 minute mark.

I know its just a simulation but the exit out of that corner doesn't look right, but the resultant entry into the hairpin looks good. I think that chicane could have been designed slightly better IMHO, but i am not Mark Skaife!!
Old 12 Mar 2013, 04:44 (Ref:3217332)   #242
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Video of Greg Murphy's view of all the track changes at Pukekohe: http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-Greg-Mu...2/Default.aspx
Old 12 Mar 2013, 05:32 (Ref:3217340)   #243
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Here's a release with Murph's views:

http://v8supercars.com.au/news/murph...kekohe-circuit
Old 12 Mar 2013, 05:41 (Ref:3217342)   #244
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is something on TV1 in a couple of minutes.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3217626)   #245
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Murphs happy.......then were all happy.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 00:57 (Ref:3225343)   #246
Martin Collins
Rookie

New Zealand
Hampton Downs
Martin Collins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whincup has just been doing some media rides around Pukekohe in a Red Bull race car. Sounded great to have them back on Puke and the new track flows real nice. Its gunna be good!
Old 27 Mar 2013, 03:02 (Ref:3225359)   #247
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good feed back Martin and glad they sound good. Its what the neighbours say is where the issue is.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 04:38 (Ref:3225381)   #248
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8SC have traditionally been quiet

I would be more concerned with some of the GT1 Sports Saloons
Old 27 Mar 2013, 07:03 (Ref:3225398)   #249
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
love this track, cant wait
Old 28 Mar 2013, 04:24 (Ref:3225857)   #250
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
4 x Sprint races....should be interesting.