Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Nov 2001, 07:40 (Ref:179249)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What do you reckon

I was thinking the other day, would the Super Productions rules in any of their forms, work in Australia. The series is very good for Manufacterers and also Privateers, seeing that it doesn't cost as much as Super Touring. What do you guys think?
Old 27 Nov 2001, 13:00 (Ref:179343)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It depends on a few things.

- If they had a lot of people willing to deal out a lot of money in an unproven project.
- It would have to be promoted well.
- It would have to have name drivers.
- It would have to have decent TV ($$$)

What are the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats presented by the opposition?

Could they beat Procar?? They seem to be rolling along at a million miles an hour- you'd have to be doing pretty well to stick one over them atm...
Old 27 Nov 2001, 23:16 (Ref:179571)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
What are the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats presented by the opposition?
Crash, you sound like one of my marketing lecturers.
Old 28 Nov 2001, 00:14 (Ref:179580)   #4
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm...In tin tops we have V8 Supercars, 4-5 Procar Categories (covering everything from Ferraris to Suzuki Swifts), NASCARS, Truck Racing, Super Tourers, Sports Sedans, Future Tourers, Daewoos, Mirages, Commodore Cup, Porsche Cup, Historic Tourers, Saloon Cars, HQs, all the state level stuff and yet D.R.T you can still not find anything you like ?

Are you sure motorsport is for you ?
Old 28 Nov 2001, 01:26 (Ref:179597)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
we really dont need another racing series in Oz.

there is plenty and the resources are being stretched as it is..its shame because this seems like a reasonable class and has potential ..just not here
Old 28 Nov 2001, 05:11 (Ref:179637)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good one Mac

Amazing that one stuck in my head, knowing the amount of times I turned up to any lectures....

Maybe if the ETCC rules were in place before Super Touring ever happened, they would still be huge today. Then again, Touring Cars weren't million dollar pieces of gadgetry in the early 1990's when ST came into existance- ditto for V8s...
Old 28 Nov 2001, 06:12 (Ref:179650)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think D.R.T means something to replace Super Touring/Future Touring, which i agree. Future Touring is a poor copy of V8 Supercars and AUSCAR put together, and the ST cars are starting to show their age. I like the SP rules, but i feel they are a bit tame, not a premier Touring Car classIf the SP plus rules for the ETCC next year were used, it could pick up interest, but the ETCC are only using these rules for one year prior to running Super 2000 regs in 2003.

Whoever is organising the series should be making plans for these cars. They can be built from a production base, and cost nowhere near as much as ST or V8Supercars, but as always happens, V8Supercars and ST started out the same way, look at 'em now, the costs are sky high.

Plus, with the FIA showing interest in Touring Cars now, the ETCC could start to bound together Touring Cars worldwide like with Group A in the mid 80s.

I reckon that's what they should do, i won't hold my breath though.
Old 28 Nov 2001, 08:27 (Ref:179667)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

To much racing is never enough. The wider the variety the more chance of getting more people involved with motorsport in Australia. Most of the categories that you guys have mentioned are great, I agree , especially the PROCAR events. However most of them aren't fully international categories which isn't great, i guess. Where as Super Production is run all over the world. Just like Group A in the late 80's, you could have aussie drivers going all over the world. Now do you see where I 'm coming from. I have no problem with whats available in Australian Motorsport, I really like it, and I'm very sure that motorsport is for me.
Old 28 Nov 2001, 11:18 (Ref:179709)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
There is the point of having an international class, but at any one point with an international category, you will only get a couple of Aussies going OS anyways. The amount of $$ in Australia really isn't that great, and the people who can afford to race overseas, are more likely to compete in Sports Cars.

Can you guys tell me where the Super Production rules have any great advantage over current GTP rules?
Old 28 Nov 2001, 13:49 (Ref:179764)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They don't really, only in that production based BMW's, Alfa's, Nissan's and so on can be competitive rather than Subaru's and Mitsubishi's. And at any rate, if you are going to run an E46 320i in Super Production, why not just spend a bit more and up it to E46 M3 specs and run it in Nations Cup.

I am a great advocate of international classes. People complain about not enough aussies overseas, these creates an avenue for them. These new FFord rules will kill off some drivers overseas hopes, but it's great to see F3 picking. As ST showed, there are people willing to pay the money to run them, it's just that the right things didn't fall into place at the right time.

It gives drivers an opportunity to go overseas. Would Grice have got the factory Nissan drive in the ETCC in 1988 if he hadn't raced in it in 1986, i don't think so. At the moment young drivers seem to think it's either F1 or stay in V8s. They should be informed of the chances in Sportscars and Tourers, and international categories are one way. I don't think that replacement ST rules should be put into competition with V8s like last time though, you'll get the same result more than likely.