Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Dec 2000, 19:21 (Ref:55318)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Doesn't anyone think the new "class A" cars will be too slow , (280BHP ?)and not anywhere near as spectacular as the Super tourers. Also will they sound the same with that squeal as they come towards you with all those 4 cylinders working away?, just asking!

Perhaps taking the route of Germany and going for the DTM rules would have been the better option after all.
Old 31 Dec 2000, 19:34 (Ref:55319)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will you really actually notice is the cars are a few seconds slower per lap when you're actually at the track. I think not. Just look at the NSC this year, nobody could accuse that of being boring just because it's a bit slower.
Right now I'd say the 2001 season is looking like a good prospect. The biggest concern I think is going to be the quality of the support races. Nobody can have any doubts about the fantastic Clios, but what of the rest? We've got a series nobody seems to have heard of and then we've got Lotuses - promised a lot at the beginning of 2000, but in the end never delivered.
BTW, welcome along to Ten-tenths
Old 31 Dec 2000, 20:12 (Ref:55326)   #3
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard tyres sqealing on faster cars than ST's and for me it just adds to the spectacle. I have an idea that the four cylinder restriction has been dropped, although I guess that most teams will run a four.

As to whether we will really notice if they are slower? I would say that depends on the quality of the racing. If it is a procession then I expect we will, but if we get cars going into a corner 3 abreast, and the lead changing several times during a race, then I don't suppose we'll care
Old 31 Dec 2000, 20:24 (Ref:55329)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
why have the fiestas been moved?

I thought the fiestas were really good, they were the only reason i went to watch last year at all.
Old 31 Dec 2000, 20:34 (Ref:55331)   #5
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the highlight of 2000 had to be the Clios
What's that? Did somebody say that Mr Pearson isn't on the forums at the moment and we don't all have to keep claiming the Clios were the best
Personally I thought the Fiestas weren't as good this year as they've been in previous years.
Old 1 Jan 2001, 10:39 (Ref:55467)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Whilst big cars like the DTM or V8 Supercars would have been great as far as spectacle goes, they simply wouldn't have worked here. And, I don't know about you, but i'd really rather see a full grid of BTC Touring machinery, rather than 10 or 12 big V8s

NSC was superb in 2000 - and TOCA have taken that, tweaked things a little and presented it as BTCC - I can't see that it can fail
Old 1 Jan 2001, 17:10 (Ref:55520)   #7
Carrie
Veteran

Just out of interest, did you get to any Powertour rounds last season, Sodemo?
Old 1 Jan 2001, 17:45 (Ref:55526)   #8
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have to agree with Sodemo, only four cylinder engines will be dull...

The Five Cylinder Volvo-engine... The six Cylinder Ford-engine... Hard to forget... But who rememberd what the for ex 1996 Vauxhall sounded?
Old 1 Jan 2001, 18:28 (Ref:55533)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Well

Didn't mark blair run an ex-works 96' Vauxhall in 99'.

No i didn't get to any Powertour rounds in 99' or 2000 as i am at university, but the BTCC would always be my first choice anyway, as in 99' i went to nearly all the rounds,
apart from knockhill, and Croft as i live in Solihull (near Birmingham) it was a bit too far!
Old 1 Jan 2001, 18:34 (Ref:55535)   #10
Carrie
Veteran

I refused to let uni stop me getting to races
As for the Powertour question, I just wondered if you'd actually been trackside and seen the NSC. Having seen a heck of a lot of it in 2000, I'm convinced that the 2001 BTCC should be good.
Old 1 Jan 2001, 19:06 (Ref:55542)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I refused to let uni stop me getting to races
Explains a lot Carrie. If only you studied harder...

Sodemo, if you want to be a real ten-tenths racegoer you can forget any form of education. It also helps if you abandon any hopes of a real social life.
Old 1 Jan 2001, 19:23 (Ref:55546)   #12
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
Did somebody say that Mr Pearson isn't on the forums at the moment and we don't all have to keep claiming the Clios were the best
Right there - the man is in sunny warm Kenya - not that I am jealous of course as I freeze my little socks off and bale out the frozen bath yet again.....
Old 1 Jan 2001, 20:45 (Ref:55574)   #13
Carrie
Veteran

Do you know something, I really don't like the way 2001 is starting off, it seems to be developing into take the **** out of Carrie on these forums. Really Mr. Shoes, I expected better of you, that sort of comment is usually Craig's level Anyway, it was always my intention to stop studying once I'd got my Masters - it was only other people who wanted me to carry on further - maybe one day, but right now memories of doing my MA are still too fresh in my mind.

And no, I don't care that this post has sod all to do with touring cars
Old 5 Jan 2001, 19:13 (Ref:56316)   #14
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me it doesn't matter. I think the most important thing is the quality of the racings and cars. They won't be as load as sportscars. Mind you, we should some panoz engines into the cars. YESSSSSSSSSSS