Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 1 Nov 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1449532)   #26
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think they want to limit their target audience.I understand none of the terestial channels were interested.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1449546)   #27
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo
yes you pay u get!

but its stupid for the organisers who want to promote and create new fans limiting their target audiance...

i wouldnt spend 30-40 per month to see a couple of races...thats how much sky packages are these days right? with sky sp1,2,3
Yeah but I dont pay £30-£40 just to watch 1 series, theres also BSB and sometimes the IRL, as well as the football of course and the live International cricket.

As for Sky getting the package because nobody else is interested that IMO is ludicrous. Sky provide the very best in whatever they cover, ITV already has live F1 and it covers GP2 and WRC anyway as well as some live BTCC so why would they need more? Channel 4 and Channel 5 never show much live motorsport anyway so its not suprising they didnt bid for the series. As for the BBC, remember the mess they made of the BTCC and BSB?

Sky are IMO simply better than most terrestial tv channels, and they give live qualifying something which the BBC woudnt do, IMO.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1449579)   #28
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Could they invent something, like yo pay online by credit card to watch races. In Malta there is no live coverage of the races and I cannot follow through A1gp website. If there is an on line reasonable payment to see F1, I would defenitely pay to follow.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1449603)   #29
go-jordan
Rookie

Ireland
Contaé na Mí, Ireland
go-jordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its all well and good if your british and have sky coverage but in ireland we are stuck with sky coverage and all we ever hear about is team gb and robbie kerr. When did you see an irish representative in the studio. And although we have john watson commentating he sees himself as british so hes not included.

Not only that but irish viewers have to pay more for sky than the british have to. I cant understand why rte, tv3 or tg4 cannot hav e the rights them being irish channels and all and not british sky broadcasting.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1449613)   #30
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The commentary of Edwards and Watson is not British - it is the world feed.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1449669)   #31
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-jordan
Its all well and good if your british and have sky coverage but in ireland we are stuck with sky coverage and all we ever hear about is team gb and robbie kerr. When did you see an irish representative in the studio. And although we have john watson commentating he sees himself as british so hes not included.

Not only that but irish viewers have to pay more for sky than the british have to. I cant understand why rte, tv3 or tg4 cannot hav e the rights them being irish channels and all and not british sky broadcasting.
I actually thought Sky was giving Ireland rathe a lot of coverage, considering Ireland makes up such a small percentage of its audience.

As for paying more, that is dependent on the exchange rate. Sometimes you pay more, sometimes you pay less.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1450236)   #32
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I noticed for the Australian public that FOXTEL will be showing the Qual session on Sat afternoon around the 5pm mark and on race day it will start the telecast at 1pm till 5pm.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 7 Nov 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1454105)   #33
Sport Billy
Rookie

Sport Billy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think coverage is overall poor, honestly believe qualifying shocking,
The host nation should gain a touch more than anyone else.

Commentry is typically british. everyone else is great....
Old 7 Nov 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1454156)   #34
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the presentation of qualifying in particular has improved enormously. The on-screen graphics help so much now and are more or less there now. However, the direction of qualifying appears dire. Key laps are being missed all the time in favour of trying to show as many different teams as possible. If you ask me it's crying out for an interactive multi-screen service but I guess there's no money to be made in that.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1454183)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Billy

Commentry is typically british. everyone else is great....

The commentary is the world feed, it is not provided specifically for a British audience
Old 7 Nov 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1454670)   #36
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like the different views from the additional on board cameras the cars feature but the direction & number of cameras around the track could do with some improvement but it's still early days yet & I expect it will as the series matures.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1454760)   #37
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The qualifying format always leaves the way open to miss key laps, unfortunately - like they used to in F1, when they had qualifying. This is possibly the most exciting format, rewarding one-off fast laps, and consistency too. Because there is only a quarter of an hour in each session, for all cars to run, I don't think the TV folk could do a lot better, and I now feel that Sky's performance is really really good. I'm particularly glad John Watson and Ben Edwards now have accedss to the split times, etc, as they were originally in the dark as much as we viewers were. Great show, great coverage, hope they stay with the championship for the long haul.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1456472)   #38
xelallah
Rookie

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
xelallah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is a way of watching it if you are in the UK without sky.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1456480)   #39
Kicking-back
Veteran

Not legally
Old 9 Nov 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1456709)   #40
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my mates has deliberately not got pay TV so when there is sports only on Fox he has an excuse to go to the pub & watch it there away from the wife & kids
Old 9 Nov 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1456741)   #41
Kicking-back
Veteran

Why did he marry someone he wants to be away from?
Old 9 Nov 2005, 23:27 (Ref:1456802)   #42
bocster
Rookie

bocster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Could they invent something, like yo pay online by credit card to watch races. In Malta there is no live coverage of the races and I cannot follow through A1gp website. If there is an on line reasonable payment to see F1, I would defenitely pay to follow.
has anyone been using the online live feed facility. i think its only legaly avalible to people who havent got a tv station showing it to their own country. Id be interested to know how much it costs
Old 10 Nov 2005, 00:07 (Ref:1456818)   #43
hindy
Racer

hindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelallah
there is a way of watching it if you are in the UK without sky.

How? via the website?

JH
Old 10 Nov 2005, 01:40 (Ref:1456860)   #44
bocster
Rookie

bocster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my understanding is that the live feed from the website is only avaible to coutries that dont have a tv coverage at present. ofcourse , there is ways around everything.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 01:55 (Ref:1456869)   #45
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV coverage is A1's Achilles Heel. Great concept, seemingly good cars, good venues. Without TV market (especially in the US) it's doomed. Those of us on this list are best described as racing fanatics who'll usually go anywhere to see a race (I plan on being at Laguna...I'll bet parking won't be a problem...) To be successful ya'gotta engage the average guy,as MotoGP is doing in the States now. To have the races on some satellite Irish Klog Dancing network won't hack it: See 'Champ Car on Spike Network' if you need an analogy. If poker and bowling can be a successful TV programs, World Cup racing should be a sure bet.
Hey Sheik.....listen up !
Old 10 Nov 2005, 04:13 (Ref:1456916)   #46
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the concept proves popular, and crowds are being drawn to Brands and Eastern Creek in the numbers suggested, and the papers give it coverage, terrestrial TV will follow. In its first year, it would be unreasonable to expect it to have more coverage than it's got already, and certainly Sky TV in the UK are doing it justice. I know loads of people who haven't watched motor racing before, and comment just how exciting the show is on Sky.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 04:43 (Ref:1456928)   #47
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares about the US anyway?
Old 10 Nov 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1457054)   #48
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jinxx
If the concept proves popular, and crowds are being drawn to Brands and Eastern Creek in the numbers suggested, and the papers give it coverage, terrestrial TV will follow. In its first year, it would be unreasonable to expect it to have more coverage than it's got already, and certainly Sky TV in the UK are doing it justice. I know loads of people who haven't watched motor racing before, and comment just how exciting the show is on Sky.
The trouble is, I know loads of people who do regularly watch other forms of motorsport on TV, and a fair number who make motorsport for TV, and the overwhelming concensus is that Sky aren't just not on the ball, they're not even on the playing field.

And if I thought the live shows were bad, I was truly amazed by how poor their highlights show was.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1457193)   #49
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFreak
Without TV market (especially in the US) it's doomed.
The US is possibly the best country to watch A1GP as not only is there the TV field on Sentana Sports, but it can also be watched online at A1gp.com
Old 10 Nov 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1457316)   #50
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The US is possibly the best country to watch A1GP as not only is there the TV field on Sentana Sports, but it can also be watched online at A1gp.com

As I mentioned before, I am a motorsport fanatic, and most of my friends are as well. Our combined TV packages cover the waterfront as far as 2 and 4 wheel sports are concerned. Not one of them gets Sentana Sports; nor any of the local restaurants, sports bars, etc. This is why I made the sarcastic comment about the 'Irish Klog Dancing Network'. As far as web-casts are concerned; it's better than nothing - but not much. I wish it wern't so....