Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1674253)   #1
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Alonso "create" Schumacher's penalty?

I have just seen a video of the incident for which Schumacher has been penalised, and I think Schumacher can be quite angry about it... On the last corner before the pit entry, Alonso is going very slowly with Kubica behind him following, then Schumacher passes them both at not a much higher speed on the outside and goes into the pitlane. When Schumacher is past, Alonso accelerates behind him.
It may sound like a conspiracy theory, but surely Renault have ways to know where all drivers stand on track, as well as knowing where the red flag situation is.

I think Alonso prepared a trap and Schumacher fell into it. Schumacher did wrong by passing, but I don't see it as very sporting!
Old 5 Aug 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1674256)   #2
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
You may be right, but if a newcomer like Kubica knew not to overtake, then so should MS.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1674259)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
could you post a link for that video please?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=36947

If you read the end of the interview.

Last edited by JeremySmith; 5 Aug 2006 at 17:51.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1674261)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... F1 is looking like a game of who are the smarter to fool the others...
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1674277)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw it on TV, sorry.

You can't penalise Alonso if he did deliberately slow down, neither you can know whether it was deliberate, but you can't help smelling something there and while Michael has shown sometimes to be a bit over the law, Fernando isn't an angel either...
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1674284)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I din't think of this, and is surprised at such suggestions.

Michael made an error in overtaking and was punished (rightly or wrongly). The red flag meant danger, no overtaking.

But if Alonso had slowed significantly down, with Kubica closely behind, Michael may have mis-interprete those as cars in trouble or something and proceed to overtake them in order to get back to the pits.

It is possible that it is gamesmanship, and if so Alonso's action ranks alongside Michael's Monaco attempt in terms of poor taste. Michael may not realise it and hence fall foul. But in anyway, it destroys Flavio and cynics suggestions that the stewards and FIA are pro-Ferrari in this WDC campaign.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1674285)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The two have bad blood between them since Monaco. I expect we'll see more and more of this low level, underhand stuff for a while yet....
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1674289)   #8
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
The two have bad blood between them since Monaco. I expect we'll see more and more of this low level, underhand stuff for a while yet....
Well at least until the end of the year when one of them retires.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1674292)   #9
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzFD_aEVeAY

In my opinion stupid Schumacher´s fault. Kubica could hold behind Alonso but Schumacher didn´t.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1674297)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Schumacher is angry if you can read the Italian report on Gazzetta.it. However, I have to say, it was smart of Alonso to do that!
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1674302)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Schumacher is angry if you can read the Italian report on Gazzetta.it. However, I have to say, it was smart of Alonso to do that!
And very poor sportsmanship..Never mind Alonso is in for an arse kicking in that race..
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1674303)   #12
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's such a thing as slowly returning to the pits...and then there's that.

Kubica could hold on behind, but Schumacher was hardly at racing pace though...I think that was a matter of tricking Schumacher into an obvious rule break to be honest.

Let the games begin.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1674304)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whatever we think, it is fascinating gamesmanship between the two!
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1674317)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suspect Alonso may be flattered that people think he successfully laid a trap for Schumacher.

All adds to the fun though!
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1674320)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe one of the many marshals here can correct me, but I thought a Red flag meant that all drivers had to slow down immediately, and make their way carefully back to the pitlane at a sedate pace...this would usually mean without overtaking.

From what I've seen and heard, Alonso and Kubica were doing this when Schumacher took it upon himself to pass them.

Penalty deserved.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1674321)   #16
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having seen the video, I'm kinda inclined to think that it perhaps wasn't the intention of Fernando to cause TGF to overtake under red flags (Kubica was holding station just fine), but perhaps just to **** him off a little by holding him up. All in all, TGF made a bit of a mistake, and doesn't like the taste of his own medicine.

Agreed knowlesy, it's fascinating to see this in the current absence of overtaking...let's hope tomorrow brings some proper on track action alongside the current on track handbags-at-twenty-paces behaviour
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1674324)   #17
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's about time we had a good and proper rivalry again. Things were getting a bit too polite in F1
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1674325)   #18
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really can't see where the argument is here. Having seen the video above it can only be the case that Schumacher is in fault and noone else.
As I see it Alonso and Kubica were returning to the puts slowly, as you are supposed to under Red flag conditions, and Schumacher simply overtook them, and made no effort to return behind them which is strictly agianst the rules, regardless of whether Alonso was playing games. The red flag is a safety concern and Schumacher seemed to completely ignore the situation and in my eyes acted dangerously. I think the penalty was not severe enough. Although I do realise the reason for the Red Flag, it could have been any number of reasons and Schumachers actions potentially put others, particularly marshalls on track, in danger and cannot be forgiven. He should have been put to the back of the grid.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1674332)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it was a joke Schumacher got a 2 second penalty for what was in reality a far lesser offence than Alonso's on Friday.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1674336)   #20
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't MS also pass DC under red-flag?

Like Spa 98, Schumacher is just peed off because he set himself up for a fall.

He has no one to blame but himself.

On the subject of Alonso, he may be a bit crafty, but he is yet to cross the line and become a fully fledged cheat.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1674337)   #21
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is it a lesser offense? Remember Alonso was given 2 one second penalties. One for brake testing Doornbos and one for overtaking under yellow flags.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1674341)   #22
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranald
How is it a lesser offense? Remember Alonso was given 2 one second penalties. One for brake testing Doornbos and one for overtaking under yellow flags.
After handing out a penalty to a Alonso for something we've seen many, many times before go un-punished, the FIA had no option but give MS a penalty for overtaking under red flags.

Had they not, it probably would've brought the sport into disrepute again.
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1674345)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weather Alonso meant it or not MS didnt have to fall for it. Alonso slowed down and Kubica managed to keep behind....why couldnt MS just do the same... I think it was very foolish for MS to get a penalty especially when it was only free practice and not even race conditions....

If Alonso did this delibrately or not...only Alonso will know...I certainly think he's capable of it....
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1674346)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

You'd be hard pressed to find someone not capable of it really!
Old 5 Aug 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1674356)   #25
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso was ****ing about - but Schumacher could've slowed, rather than going sailing past.