Old 8 Oct 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1731943)   #1
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enzo Ferrari

What are yours thoughts on him.

I've been reading a book about drivers, team managers etc from 1950-2002 and Ferrari is intersting in that while he seems in love with his cars he was very uncompromising.

I like him but what about you?
Old 8 Oct 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1732039)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Never met him personally, but from what I have read he had the racing in his blood. He was italian. Couldn't be a bad chap.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1732070)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there's a lot about the man we don't know and maybe never will, i agree that the man was completely uncomprimising but isn't that a common feature with those that reach the top?

The thing i found suprising was the level of commitment he demanded from his drivers but on the one opportunity he had to drive an F1 car he froze up and didn't race again, if he couldn't do it how could he demand it from his drivers.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1732174)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre

The thing i found suprising was the level of commitment he demanded from his drivers but on the one opportunity he had to drive an F1 car he froze up and didn't race again, if he couldn't do it how could he demand it from his drivers.
Maybe because that was what he was paying them to do
Old 8 Oct 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1732187)   #5
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
if he couldn't do it how could he demand it from his drivers.
A lot of very successful soccer coaches never got beyond 3 class playing themselves. Would you barr them from coaching the national team because of that, even though they are making winning teams out of them?

To be a winning racing team manager, you don't have to be a perfect race car driver, "just" a perfect racing team manager.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1732191)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Err, Kempi. Haven't you heard of Ron Dennis' incredible driving career?

And Christian Horner kicked backside in F3000.

And who could forget Briatore's multiple titles?
Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1732215)   #7
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wanted to create an analogy, using someone directly out of F1 would have been too easy. Frank Williams would also be a good example.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1732244)   #8
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
And who could forget Briatore's multiple titles?
Whats the ridiculous number of good looking women he's managed to go out with got to do with this?
Old 8 Oct 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1732266)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... we lost the subject somewhere...
Old 8 Oct 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1732289)   #10
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think 10/10s has gone somewhere veeeery strange...

Someone mentions good looking women, and Bononicomplaints????????????
Old 8 Oct 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1732318)   #11
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought this was motorsport history, myself.
So, like just about every other person dedicataed to achieving a goal, the guy was a prick when you were on the wrong side. The question is: Is that a positive or negative attribute?
Old 9 Oct 2006, 00:07 (Ref:1732349)   #12
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre
I think there's a lot about the man we don't know and maybe never will, i agree that the man was completely uncomprimising but isn't that a common feature with those that reach the top?

Enzo Ferrari had a successful, if not spectacular, racing career when he was young, driving a variety of Italian cars. He founded the Scuderia Ferrari when he was in his 30s, and by the time the first Formula One race was run in 1951 he was in his 50s.

As a Ferrari historian for more some 30 years, I don't believe I've ever heard the story you mention.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 02:37 (Ref:1732405)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse
I think 10/10s has gone somewhere veeeery strange...

Someone mentions good looking women, and Bononicomplaints????????????

I'm getting old don't you think ?
Old 9 Oct 2006, 06:32 (Ref:1732516)   #14
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzaz
Enzo Ferrari had a successful, if not spectacular, racing career when he was young, driving a variety of Italian cars. He founded the Scuderia Ferrari when he was in his 30s, and by the time the first Formula One race was run in 1951 he was in his 50s.

As a Ferrari historian for more some 30 years, I don't believe I've ever heard the story you mention.

I was about to chime in with something similar. I believe Il Commendatore had a number of successes driving for Alfa Romeo in the 20's. I don't remember reading about him freezing up when offered the chance to drive an F1 car.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1732791)   #15
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You haven't heard that story? i'm supprised, when i get back home i'll have a look to see where i read it, im sure its in my libary somewhere.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1732794)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I was looking for it, but I couldn't find anywhere. It would be interesting to read about it.