Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 23 Mar 2003, 19:25 (Ref:545575)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Paul Newman

Nominated for an Oscar, Mr. Newman has instead opted to be with his race team in Mexico.

When asked why he wasn't in Los Angeles, he smiled and said, "Because they're there, and I'm here!"

Here's a man with a passion for the game.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 21:25 (Ref:546842)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gotta love that guy! Big star, bigger racer.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 05:30 (Ref:547093)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found that interesting and later wondered during the Oscars presentation of all the past winners if he couldnt have made it back in time if he wanted.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 06:27 (Ref:547112)   #4
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Russfeld, I had the same thought. I know he has access to a business jet or more likely owns one. I'm sure he could have flown back in time. That leads me to believe that he just didn't want to go to Hollywood and prefered to stay in Mexico.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 11:38 (Ref:547330)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He obviously prefers the company of a post-race CART party, even when his team hasn't won, to mingling with soem of the vacuous Hollywood stars.

My favourite moment of the Oscars was documentary maker Michael Moore speaking out about the war, having been specifically asked not to mention it. No doubt this'll increase his reputation as someone who can't be shut up.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 13:05 (Ref:547433)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't anyone prefer to be at a car race than sitting around so you might win an award.

Having said that though he was probably banking on the Oscars being cancelled due to the war.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 15:54 (Ref:547623)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Wasnt he ultimately sitting around Monterrey hoping he might win?
Old 25 Mar 2003, 16:45 (Ref:547685)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, well, a bad day at the track is better than a good day at the Oscars, eh?

Although, didn't a study come out recently saying that Oscar winners live longer? Mind you, they didn't say whether getting a second one made you live even longer. So he's already got that covered...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Mar 2003, 17:50 (Ref:547727)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he has realised that what they do in Hollywood is pretend, and what they were doing in Mexico was real.

NOTE TO MARTIN SHEEN: YOU ARE NOT REALLY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. NOW SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 22:19 (Ref:548057)   #10
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HHmmmmmmmm :confused: let me think about that......

Fancy event with everyone in fancy dresses and fake chests or............

Fancy event with everyone in fancy cars and fake egos or..........

Fancy event with Real Racing and Real People????

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM which one should I go to?
Oscars, Gp or CART????

If I want to see tits I can always go to an IRL race

And you have to ask why PN was at Monterrey??
Old 26 Mar 2003, 00:06 (Ref:548180)   #11
Russfeld
Veteran

fake egos? wtf is your hangup with F1? CART right now isnt in a position to pull any rank over the FIA boys
Old 26 Mar 2003, 02:16 (Ref:548238)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely. Those overinflated egoes in Formula One are not fake. THEY ARE REAL.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 07:45 (Ref:548373)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good post, Crazystu.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 13:53 (Ref:548737)   #14
Prost!
Rookie

Prost! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
NOTE TO MARTIN SHEEN: YOU ARE NOT REALLY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. NOW SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN.
Amen

Prost!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 01:34 (Ref:552582)   #15
Greg Cummins
Rookie

Greg Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last time I heard the USA still ascribed to the pretense of being a democracy. Martin Sheen is entitled to air his views as much as anybody, or is this the kind of freedom where dissenting voices are considered un-patriotic, that we wish to impose upon the Iraqi people while we 'liberate' then to smithereens?
Old 30 Mar 2003, 02:26 (Ref:552602)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

I think people are tired of celebs pretending their views are more important and more qualified and need more mention than anyone elses
Old 30 Mar 2003, 02:48 (Ref:552619)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it's the celebs you should blame so much as the people that listen to them as if what they have to say is important.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Mar 2003, 02:53 (Ref:552624)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especially when their views are _so_ out of step with what the rest of us believe. I think people are upset about the fact that spoiled self-obsessed limousine liberals get to run off at the mouth any time they feel like it, while the rest of us are ultimately left to choose between idiots A and B every election, neither of whom represent our views or values.

Some of these turkeys make me look downright conservative, they're so disconnected from reality.

Then again, Mr. Newman's aired his political sentiments on occaision.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 30 Mar 2003 at 02:55.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 03:05 (Ref:552627)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

Fortunately ive never seen/heard Senor Newman's political beleifs and im glad I havent because it hasnt changed my admiration for him one way or the other

he's not a wacko is he?
Old 30 Mar 2003, 03:39 (Ref:552641)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Wacko? That depends on perspective.

"Then there's Newman the activist, a Eugene McCarthy delegate to the tumultuous 1968 Democratic Party convention and a Jimmy Carter delegate to a United Nations General Assembly session on disarmament. He was No. 19 on President Nixon's infamous "enemies list," and now is a part owner, along with Robert Redford and others, of The Nation. He's even been known to pen an occasional column."

-from movieclub.com

He's not a nutcase Pinko liberal, though... The guy understands the beauty of a well-tuned V8 as well as he does a pristine, virgin landscape. And he backs up his words with action. He gives 100% of the after-tax profits from his excellent, largely organic "Newman's Own" brands to charity, mostly to useful things like children's hospitals.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 04:10 (Ref:552656)   #21
Russfeld
Veteran

No offense, but I learned absolutely nothing I didnt allready know :P

Any particularly controversial views? Being on Nixon's enemies list doesnt say much
Old 30 Mar 2003, 04:16 (Ref:552659)   #22
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Oh, sorry... I didn't want to delve into things too deeply and make this a totally political thread.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 04:41 (Ref:552667)   #23
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, come on. Talking about politics is like talking about lawyers. I haven't met one or the other that I ever liked. If there isn't any racing left to talk about...somebody, please bring up a rumor (racing) to discuss...no matter how stupid it is. It's better then bringing up the P word.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 17:32 (Ref:552997)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Paul Newman had the good sense not to bring up any controversy in Mexico as to why he was there and not in Hollywood, although he was given a couple of encouraging shoves. Let's give him the benefit of preferring to keep his private feelings provate, and hope some other "celebrities" will do likewise.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 19:58 (Ref:553082)   #25
MA2
Rookie

MA2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been lucky enough to first meet Mr. Newman about 25 years ago at the races, and subsequently chatted with him at least once a year almost every year since , again at the races, I've learned, like everyone else who knows him at the track, that he absolutely refuses to talk anything BUT racing at the track, and everybody respects his wishes, for the most part. The race track is just about the only venue that allows him to escape all the cr@p that comes with being a celebrity, and be treated like everyone else around him. He can actually be a great prankster when he's comfortable with the people around him.

Once in a while, some dolt reporter will approach him and try to talk about his stardom, and learns VERY quickly that that is a line not to be crossed! Talk about his charity stuff if you must, but don't even think about talking movies!