Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2007, 19:07 (Ref:1980849)   #1
white65
Rookie

white65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Non starting pre-crossflow

Thought i would put a post on here for some help with a highly tuned pre-crossflow i have spark and fuel and it turns over, no thanks to a dodgy solenoid but it just won't fire and i'm at a loss for what is causing the problem so any help would be gratefully received...........
Old 4 Aug 2007, 20:13 (Ref:1980876)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If it has spark "at the plug" and at the right time, new fuel and compression then it should go. These engines ain't rocket science .Dont forget the dizzy goes anti clock and is 1243!!

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 4 Aug 2007 at 20:15.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Aug 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1980879)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Check the timing first then that it has compression, even if you only stick your finger over the plug hole and turn it over. Has the engine been rebuilt recently, I.E. do you know the condition of it?
Make sure the plugs are completely dry, I once changed the entire ignition system (except plugs) on one of these and couldn't get it to fire until I cleaned the plugs.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 4 Aug 2007 at 20:21.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 06:39 (Ref:1981212)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
you've most likely got the timing 180 degrees out

not that I've ever done that before
Old 6 Aug 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1982219)   #5
white65
Rookie

Cheers guys for all the help. It is much appreciated didn't look at it yesterday to hot to be fiddling with ignition systems pus id had enough of it by yesterday going to devote this week to it..... Thanks again
Old 6 Aug 2007, 08:11 (Ref:1982235)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
well I fitted a new head to mine and hooked everything up Sat afternoon . . . it started first time

went for a blast round town, terrified a few oldies, all set for testing tomorrow now, fully trimmed and its even got bumpers on it
Old 6 Aug 2007, 08:24 (Ref:1982246)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
well I fitted a new head to mine and hooked everything up Sat afternoon . . . it started first time

went for a blast round town, terrified a few oldies, all set for testing tomorrow now, fully trimmed and its even got bumpers on it
So the bumpers are acting as ballast then.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:18 (Ref:1982472)   #8
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Another head again hihihihihi

Good figures Zef? Wanna see you in front in three and a half week
Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1982474)   #9
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

After doing it ones you never forget
Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1982482)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC driver
Another head again hihihihihi

Good figures Zef? Wanna see you in front in three and a half week
I did 3! one for me, one for a customer and a spare one, but I keep fettling them and have been playing on the flow bench trying some new ideas

as for three weeks . . .I'll be in front of something I hope, but I suspect there'll be a few slightly quicker cars from over the pond
Old 6 Aug 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1982517)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
ZEF In my youth stage 1 tuning was "remove "the bumpers and hub caps.
Stage 2 was a roll of chequered tape. The difference was amazing !!
Sorry to go off thread. white65 call the AA !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 6 Aug 2007 at 12:52.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Aug 2007, 13:04 (Ref:1982526)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
stage 3 is take carpets out . . .its in the Burton catalogue !
Old 6 Aug 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1982548)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I did that with a mini once despite the fact that the key was offset. Doh!
Old 6 Aug 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1982559)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
its very frustrating as the car fires but won't run and you think it;'ll go but it never does, once you get it right they invariably fire up quite happily

priming the fuel system might be worth doing as well ( sorry to get back on topic!) although if its a race engine I'm sure it'll have an electric pump.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1983388)   #15
white65
Rookie

Yer 1200 with all the right parts twin 40's nice head pistons all nice and clean duplex timming gear mitsuba fuel pumps no exspense spared turns over a treat lucas 43d4 dizzy bosch blue coil but no fire have spark fuel... very stumped but i do have my uncle coming over this week who's a mechanic and said he won't give up until it's running so fingers crossed as goodwood is very close now and i wanted to drive it down there for the three day's.....
Old 8 Aug 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1984002)   #16
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had an interesting experience yesterday testing at Goodwood in an MG C (not a cross flow I know!). It had a misfire near the red line and felt electrical. I checked and thought the gap had closed up on the points so adjusted but it was still there. Then I noticed the metal arm on the top of the rotor arm was loose. Ahh, I thought, I've got 2 brand new ones in my spares box. Fitted a new one (from the box) and the car refused to start. Fitted the second, also refused to start. Fit the old one with the dodgy loose arm and it starts. I've had a lot of issues with rotor arms - in my Mini Cooper as well. Seems the new ones being manufactured are junk in many cases. Amazing how the 3 quid part can ruin your day!
Old 8 Aug 2007, 12:47 (Ref:1984023)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
Amazing how the 3 quid part can ruin your day!
Yeah, maybe if you had paid 6 quid, it would have started
Old 8 Aug 2007, 17:40 (Ref:1984218)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Most of the electrical stuff like points /rotors and especially "condensers" are absolute rubbish that are made now, So hang on to a condenser that you know is ok. And White 65 I did ask if you had spark at the plug and not just out of the HT lead to the dizzy. Also have you got new fuel ? And back to the rotors even if you buy them from Lucas they are still junk.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 8 Aug 2007 at 17:45.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1984275)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
god call Roger, I had a slight misfire at higher revs yesterday, it was points, |I thought the gap had closed, adjusted it, still had a misfire, checked again and the gaps too big . . . turns out the plastic arm moving on the pin is slacker than my persoanl finances!

fortunately my Distributor guy has sorted me a stash of good bits, the points are knackered but they have done 2 years . . . . who says racing on a budgets not possible !!!

I agree re old's better then new . . .I've died on the grid due to a brand new failed condensor, then ran a year on a crusty looking 60's one with no complaints whatsoever . . . . I've also done 1700 miles from Brighton to Milan and back on a 1959 Lambretta . . . running its original points and condenser, that was 1997 and it still runs the same genuine ducati parts now
Old 9 Aug 2007, 04:29 (Ref:1984613)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
even if you buy them from Lucas they are still junk.
No change there then.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 07:30 (Ref:1984670)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a rule of thumb,DONT buy Rotor Arms with a rivett in.Look for the nice Blue ones from Mini Spares.
[I am in no way conected to this company]
Old 9 Aug 2007, 08:56 (Ref:1984726)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I've got blue ones, and a blue cap as well

do I win a prize ?

I think my points are blue too
Old 9 Aug 2007, 09:16 (Ref:1984734)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't have points.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1984766)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
well I know I'm in a dieing minority !
Old 9 Aug 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1984830)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I don't have points.
Theres always someone who has to fit a Managment system ,is,nt there Zef?