Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Sep 2001, 11:33 (Ref:144348)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Steven Spielberg - Duel

Having seen Steven Spielberg's - Duel, for the first time over the weekend - I can see why it acheived full marks in the reviews. It is the first Thriller that I have found trully 'scarey' for the first time in ages. An absolute classic no doubt.... do you agree??
Old 11 Sep 2001, 00:52 (Ref:144720)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I've seen it several times, and the fact that everything but the truck driver seems so normal, and it is never revealed why the trucker has it in for the motorist, makes it a frightening movie. One of the best "made for TV" movies ever.
Old 11 Sep 2001, 03:03 (Ref:144740)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I watched it again on the weekend, that makes about 12 times now! I first saw it over 20 years ago. A really good thriller, and an intriguing plot. At the end I too am left wondering, why? It's amazing that we think of road rage as a modern problem, yet over 30 years ago it was topical enough to make a movie.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 15:42 (Ref:147895)   #4
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road rage as a movie subject goes back even further. Sometime in the 30's, WC Fields did a movie, or short subject, I think was called "Road Hog". It was about a poor Joe who was always run off the road by people in fast cars.

By some means, he becomes rich. His first move is to buy a large stable of automobiles. He then proceeds to go out on the road to search for offenders. When he finds one, he runs them off the road, invariably wrecking both cars, but he calmly goes back home, hops into another car, then goes out looking for the next "road hog".

Very satisfying fantasy.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 17:59 (Ref:147965)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have seen the movie several times and the only gripe I had with it is how does a person in a car not be able to get away from a tanker truck. Even and empty tanker truck is still pig, much more so that the old car Dennis Weaver was driving. I know this would negate the reason behind the movie, but still you must be pretty damn incompetent as a driver to not be able to outrun a semi truck.
Old 23 Sep 2001, 23:24 (Ref:150051)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, it is a Valiant, isn't it, Kev?
Old 25 Sep 2001, 20:07 (Ref:151175)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, maybe you do have a point.