Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Dec 2014, 14:22 (Ref:3486432)   #176
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I highly doubt Ganassi will spread himself thin and run a Prototype program, in addition to the factory Ford program. Too bad the Vipers aren't still running, it would make a heck of a headline class.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3486439)   #177
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Too bad the Vipers aren't still running, it would make a heck of a headline class.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, though people were saying pretty much that about GT1 around 2004/05...
Old 19 Dec 2014, 14:49 (Ref:3486440)   #178
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I would not be surprised to see the factory Vipers return in 2016 or 2017.
BoP will (almost) guarantee their competitiveness even after being away from the racing scene for a year or two, so that would not be an issue.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3486499)   #179
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I hope that this new Ford is a proper 2010s supercar and not yet another GT40 replica.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3486507)   #180
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you, though people were saying pretty much that about GT1 around 2004/05...
Maybe they were, though I don't recall it... but then GT1 didn't have the depth that GT currently has.

I'm just talking about for TUSC though of course... but then GTD is so weak right now it just doesn't work.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3486525)   #181
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
GTD will be fine again in 2016 and probably even better in 2017.

With Ford returning will there be an answer from Ferrari?
Old 20 Dec 2014, 07:56 (Ref:3486647)   #182
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Maybe they were, though I don't recall it... but then GT1 didn't have the depth that GT currently has.

I'm just talking about for TUSC though of course... but then GTD is so weak right now it just doesn't work.
What 2005 ALMS GT1 with Corvette C6.R, Corvette C5-R, Viper GTS-R, Aston Martin DBR9, Saleen S7-R and Maserati MC12 didn't have the 'depth' as current GTLM has?
Old 20 Dec 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3486697)   #183
Maverick248
Rookie

France
Paris
Maverick248 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news for GT category, It's good for Ford to have a team like Ganassi for this return.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3486701)   #184
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
GTD will be fine again in 2016 and probably even better in 2017.
Several teams are defecting to SCCA World Challenge.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3486713)   #185
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick248 View Post
Great news for GT category, It's good for Ford to have a team like Ganassi for this return.
Yeah, I agree but SRT Motorsports is missing it out... Maybe in 2016, they'll return!
Old 20 Dec 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3486728)   #186
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
What 2005 ALMS GT1 with Corvette C6.R, Corvette C5-R, Viper GTS-R, Aston Martin DBR9, Saleen S7-R and Maserati MC12 didn't have the 'depth' as current GTLM has?
Two factory backed/assisted efforts vs. How many?

That really was just C6.R vs, Aston.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3486735)   #187
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Two factory backed/assisted efforts vs. How many?

That really was just C6.R vs, Aston.
It's just one more in 2015 (two in 2016). But even so the others models didn't win back then because it wasn't all bop and waivers. Yesyes Saleen had some restrictor breaks and MC12 wasn't down to regs and whatever but you know what I mean

Anyway even with less competition and car counts I would argue that the cars itself made the depth. They had amazing grid at Sebring

P&M C6.R
P&M C6.R
AMR DBR9
AMR DBR9
Maserati/Risi MC12
Larbre 550-GTS
ACEMCO S7-R
GNM S7-R
Carsport GTS-R
Pacific C5-R

Had they been the headline class who know what could've happened. FIA GT always had bigger grids, but due to it being myriad series with lack of promotion and no direct works teams allowed it doesn't work as comparisons

Last edited by Deleted; 20 Dec 2014 at 18:02.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3486757)   #188
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Don't worry, they'll be back.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 12:07 (Ref:3486869)   #189
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don't have an a strong opinion either way, but you could look at the fortunes of International GT Open over the last 3 years and draw some interesting conclusions. While the ELMS was floundering and Blancpain was in its infancy IGTO was the go-to series for teams that wanted to race over Europe. Then BES & BSS took off and ELMS got it's house in order and all of a sudden it's is just another GT3 series.

Could we conceivably see PWC in a similar situation if IMSA manage to find a balance that pleases the majority of teams and fans?
Old 21 Dec 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3486874)   #190
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Massive cost differences involved though, more so than in Europe; NAEC + PWC might make most long-term sense.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3486889)   #191
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I can definitely see teams dipping into the NAEC races as sponsors/budget dictate - quite a few teams doubled up over the various European series but as you say, the budget isn't pushed nearly as hard in those cases. Did anybody do that this in America season?
Old 21 Dec 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3486926)   #192
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Quote:
Only if IMSA, (or PWC) give the teams a good reason to switch back.
Currently PWC offers a great home for these teams.
Fantastic cars, fantastic competition, and a great atmosphere. Plus a growing fanbase. It is really a very stark contrast to the situation in IMSA right now.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3486961)   #193
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Only if IMSA, (or PWC) give the teams a good reason to switch back.
Currently PWC offers a great home for these teams.
Fantastic cars, fantastic competition, and a great atmosphere. Plus a growing fanbase. It is really a very stark contrast to the situation in IMSA right now.
They will its called switching GTD to GT3 in 2016. I am not overestimating the car count boost in my feeling I think this class can get back to 2014 Daytona 24 levels at minimum perhaps even better.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3486966)   #194
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While the rules of GTD is a small barrier, the real reason is cost.

Exposer as the top class in the PWC is also a good reason as well.

I predict factory back cars like Audi, Nissan, and Bentley in the NAEC coming 2016 however
Old 21 Dec 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3486983)   #195
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
While the rules of GTD is a small barrier, the real reason is cost.

Exposer as the top class in the PWC is also a good reason as well.

I predict factory back cars like Audi, Nissan, and Bentley in the NAEC coming 2016 however
The other big plus for PWC is teams don't have to deal with Imsa/Nascar.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3487007)   #196
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
The other big plus for PWC is teams don't have to deal with Imsa/Nascar.
They get to deal with SCCA instead, and we all know how successful they've been over the years running a pro series.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 23:32 (Ref:3487012)   #197
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Bentley said on a recent MWM that they wouldn't come over to be the 4th class in TUSC.
Old 22 Dec 2014, 00:50 (Ref:3487028)   #198
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
I think the basic question is, "Do they want to participate in the top tier of international endurance prototype racing with the world's best, or do they want to be a 2nd tier series?"

Chevy and now Ford, have gotten their feet wet big time and there is a lot of local talent behind them. Not sure if there is an understanding at the BOD level, but those of us following this understand.

P1 needs to return and P1-H needs to be highlighted. Don't care if it is one car, two cars or 10 cars.
Old 22 Dec 2014, 01:07 (Ref:3487032)   #199
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
They get to deal with SCCA instead, and we all know how successful they've been over the years running a pro series.
World Challenge is actually run and owned by an independent group.
The SCCA is merely the sanctioning body.
Old 22 Dec 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3487041)   #200
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
I think the basic question is, "Do they want to participate in the top tier of international endurance prototype racing with the world's best, or do they want to be a 2nd tier series?"

Chevy and now Ford, have gotten their feet wet big time and there is a lot of local talent behind them. Not sure if there is an understanding at the BOD level, but those of us following this understand.

P1 needs to return and P1-H needs to be highlighted. Don't care if it is one car, two cars or 10 cars.
I am glad I saw your post. I have been meaning to ask
if you knew of a parts shop called Automod in your neck of the woods
back in the day?