Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Dec 2014, 01:41 (Ref:3487044)   #201
Disraeli Eers
Racer

United States
Parkersburg, WV
Disraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDisraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a chance that teams that have defected to PWC for 2015 may miss endurance racing come 2016 and want to return to IMSA.
Old 22 Dec 2014, 01:43 (Ref:3487045)   #202
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
World Challenge is actually run and owned by an independent group.
The SCCA is merely the sanctioning body.
Just like TransAm now a days. Now their booming under different management.

As for P1, you actually don't need P1 to be successful, just look at ELMS. I don't think it would work out in the whole 10 car schedule, but maybe for the NAEC races.
Old 22 Dec 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3487151)   #203
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I am glad I saw your post. I have been meaning to ask
if you knew of a parts shop called Automod in your neck of the woods
back in the day?
Are you speaking of Australia? I know there is a group that chose the name Cyber Motorsports down under and built custom car kits/parts. We started with the name first and our paths never really crossed. If this is who you are talking about, it is the first time the paths have crossed. That's the long answer, the short answer is, "No."
Old 19 Feb 2015, 18:32 (Ref:3506730)   #204
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rahal wants to continue working with BMW in GT's and is interested in the new M6. They aren't sure how that will work with the future gt regs if they want to stay in the top class in IMSA though:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11345...h-bmw-s-new-m6
Old 19 Feb 2015, 20:36 (Ref:3506783)   #205
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Rahal wants to continue working with BMW in GT's and is interested in the new M6. They aren't sure how that will work with the future gt regs if they want to stay in the top class in IMSA though:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11345...h-bmw-s-new-m6
I don't see how IMSA can suddenly allow a *******ized GT3 in again. Then why not just scrap GTE and run a GT3 pro and GT3 class?
Old 19 Feb 2015, 20:49 (Ref:3506786)   #206
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
I don't see how IMSA can suddenly allow a *******ized GT3 in again. Then why not just scrap GTE and run a GT3 pro and GT3 class?
GM (and Porsche) don't want GT3, and IMSA know who butters their bread....
Old 20 Feb 2015, 04:00 (Ref:3506918)   #207
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Yes, they do!

L.P.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 05:04 (Ref:3506924)   #208
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Sorry, I meant to say, "If IMSA allows a GT3 BMW into GTE again, what's the point of GTE in the series?"

Audi and the rest could just push for some quick homologation to get into the class with all pro drivers.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3507181)   #209
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Sorry, I meant to say, "If IMSA allows a GT3 BMW into GTE again, what's the point of GTE in the series?"

Audi and the rest could just push for some quick homologation to get into the class with all pro drivers.
I am still trying to figure out the point of having GTE and GT3 on the global scale. Both are full classes of performance balanced GT car.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3507196)   #210
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I am still trying to figure out the point of having GTE and GT3 on the global scale. Both are full classes of performance balanced GT car.
One contains only letters and the other is alphanumeric.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3507209)   #211
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes it is moronic. Even the class names make no sense whatsoever, I don't understand why they've kept em. GTE a la GT Endurance isn't needed anymore (not that it was ever really) now that the SRO sprint world championship is gone AND it's not like the class is any more endurance based than any other out there. And GT3, as well as GT4 are obsolete today as GT1 is dead and GT2's been rebranded
Old 21 Feb 2015, 01:16 (Ref:3507240)   #212
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Yes it is moronic. Even the class names make no sense whatsoever, I don't understand why they've kept em. GTE a la GT Endurance isn't needed anymore (not that it was ever really) now that the SRO sprint world championship is gone AND it's not like the class is any more endurance based than any other out there. And GT3, as well as GT4 are obsolete today as GT1 is dead and GT2's been rebranded
Perhaps the name GTE goes away with rules refresh in 2016. hrug:
Old 21 Feb 2015, 01:32 (Ref:3507242)   #213
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ACO should just call it 'LMGT' and be done with it (as long as they want to carry on with unfortunate single class structure).

Even if GT3 was to stick to GT3 that would make sense.

Couple of years ago Ratel said somewhere that he still wants to keep reserve place for GT1 "just in case" or something so probably no rebranding to that
Old 21 Feb 2015, 14:57 (Ref:3507361)   #214
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
ACO should just call it 'LMGT' and be done with it (as long as they want to carry on with unfortunate single class structure).

Even if GT3 was to stick to GT3 that would make sense.

Couple of years ago Ratel said somewhere that he still wants to keep reserve place for GT1 "just in case" or something so probably no rebranding to that
I still hope the new P2 class has a shot of being a GT1ish class with some road platform based hypercars.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 21:01 (Ref:3507475)   #215
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you imagine if the GTLM cars go about 2 seconds a lap quicker at most tracks next year where the P cars still run the same pace. That will be awesome I think. I love to see P and GTLM run closer together. It will be easy to restrict the ride heights or air restrictors of the LMPC cars and just make them the slowest class behind the GT3 cars. Since it is a dying category anyway.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 22:33 (Ref:3507826)   #216
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I personally would leave P2 alone, but would love to have a gt1ish class as top class.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 11:51 (Ref:3508002)   #217
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I personally would leave P2 alone, but would love to have a gt1ish class as top class.
Same sentiments as you are! Having an ACO-style prototype and an IMSA GTP car is more exciting than putting Corvette bodywork onto a P2 chassis.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3508066)   #218
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps that is what IMSA with GM's backing has been pushing for so far?
Old 23 Feb 2015, 16:57 (Ref:3508071)   #219
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
How exactly would having a GT1 and LMP2 category, be different than having a DP and LMP2 category. Still going to have BoP issues, upset entrants, upset fans... LMP2 needs to be the top category on it's own, or just go in their own direction completely, and drop LMP2.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 19:24 (Ref:3508107)   #220
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And the object of the 2017 ruleset is that, a unified P-2 class.

L.P.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 22:05 (Ref:3508162)   #221
Rcz
Veteran

United States
With the elms getting so many p2 cars, I don't think the ACO will rock the boat with these so called united rule sets.

TUSC needs a top Proto class with tech diversity and the P2 cars don't have this. Their cost cap water down cars of the P1 class.

We can't have P1 cars yet, because they have become too expensive for privateers. Almost to F1 levels.

So I think a new Proto class with the support of factories manufacturers(which are banned in the P2 class) like Ford and Chevy, would be a good idea. The cost of these cars would probably be about a factory supported GTE car.

The GT body could be use to limit the areo dependence and focus on other technological aspects of the car such as battery tech.

Because if we just get limited tech p2 cars with Vette bodies, then we might as well just gone with the DTM rules.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3508214)   #222
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
With the elms getting so many p2 cars, I don't think the ACO will rock the boat with these so called united rule sets.

TUSC needs a top Proto class with tech diversity and the P2 cars don't have this. Their cost cap water down cars of the P1 class.

We can't have P1 cars yet, because they have become too expensive for privateers. Almost to F1 levels.

So I think a new Proto class with the support of factories manufacturers(which are banned in the P2 class) like Ford and Chevy, would be a good idea. The cost of these cars would probably be about a factory supported GTE car.

The GT body could be use to limit the areo dependence and focus on other technological aspects of the car such as battery tech.

Because if we just get limited tech p2 cars with Vette bodies, then we might as well just gone with the DTM rules.
Might as well just keep DPs if you're going to go off on your own again.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 01:49 (Ref:3508224)   #223
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
The rules will change. That, in and of itself, 'will rock the boat'.

L.P.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 03:00 (Ref:3508239)   #224
Rcz
Veteran

United States
So you think those p2 manufacturers will conform to the whims of TUSC. I guess we will see...

As for keeping DPs, it's not really a good idea because they no longer fulfill their purpose of cheap prototype racing. That racing philosophy will be taken over by PC and the LMP3 class.

And going alone isn't a bad idea, the Group C cars and the IMSA GTP cars were similar but had very different racing philosophy to appease their respected racing audience.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 03:41 (Ref:3508246)   #225
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
So you think those p2 manufacturers will conform to the whims of TUSC. I guess we will see...

As for keeping DPs, it's not really a good idea because they no longer fulfill their purpose of cheap prototype racing. That racing philosophy will be taken over by PC and the LMP3 class.

And going alone isn't a bad idea, the Group C cars and the IMSA GTP cars were similar but had very different racing philosophy to appease their respected racing audience.
Based on the Vincent Beaumesnil interview, the ACO seems to be ready to "rock the boat" and totally ditch the current P2 class in favor of something faster.