Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1223655)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indian Grand prix?

From Crash.net

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has declared that India will host a Formula One grand prix within the next three-years.

Ecclestone, who was speaking to BBC Sport Online, added that "it's just a case of where" before revealing that the event "would probably end up" in Mumbai, Bombay.

Other possible locations include Hyderabad and Calcutta.

Full story Link

Last edited by luke; 12 Feb 2005 at 12:30.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1223657)   #2
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie has been wrangling for an Indian GP for a while now, most considered it dead in the ground when the new power came in and decided it wouldn't be worth spending money on. I guess with the arrival of the first Indian F1 driver businesses and government have changed their minds.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1223659)   #3
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it makes sense for him to look there he can get some nice tobbacoo money there and any where else in the third world poor bernie
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1223663)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tobacco money issue is a moot point considering most of the sponsors are leaving the sport anyway - BAT, West and Benson...
Old 12 Feb 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1223678)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a report on this on the BBC Ten O'Clock news last night, including interviews with Karthikeyan and Ecclestone.

Narain is huge in India - features in lots of TV advertising etc etc.

And as Silk Cut Jaguar points out - tobacco is going out of F1 anyway, so by the time an Indian Grand Prix is held that won't be a factor.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1223749)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not convinced that Narain is good enough for F1, but I'd love to be proved wrong. Long-term, my real hope is that some 10 year old kid of Indian ancestry (from my perspective, ideally a British Asian) will see Narain competing in F1, feel inspired to try it himself, have a go and prove to be talented, and reach F1 himself in 2018 or whenever. An Indian GP is a good mvoe to open new markets, but I'd hate to see more of the traditional F1 venues dropped. I think a 20-race season is economically feasible, especially with the limits on testing or possibility of a reduction to a 2-day race weekend, so races in India and China can coexist peacefully with Silverstone/Monza/Spa/Suzuka etc.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1223857)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
IMHO I do not think that this will ever happen.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1223859)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not?

I remember a thread on here in early 2003 of people saying the Bahrain Grand Prix would never happen.

India has a population of near 1 billion people - it's definitely worth getting F1 exposed to that.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1223872)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massive growth in India, the 2nd fastest growing economy aside from China.

Economy growth equals a rise in personal wealth, equals a rise in 'consumers' - bound to be a prime destination for the worlds big players to ply their trade.

(IIRC) Many of the car makers already have joint venutures or stand alone production in India.

F1 will fit in well with many brands marketing strategy.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 01:56 (Ref:1224030)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Oh yes, for sure, I can see F1 going to India (has been clear, to my mind, that it is going to happen at some point for a longtime).

As has been pointed out, there is a rather large market of consumers to use.....in the various ways they get used. There is no particular reason really that it cannot happen.

Whether it is of any real tangible benefit to many average people in India is another matter entirely: but that has nothing to do with likelihood of a GP occuring, or the capabilities of the authorities to provide one.

It all comes to the people at the top having the desire, for whatever reasons they may be, to hold a race. If they want it to happen, then I am sure it will happen.

Last edited by Dutton; 13 Feb 2005 at 01:57.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 03:57 (Ref:1224056)   #11
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An Indian Grand Prix makes much more sense than a Mexican Grand Prix. The country is a fantastic oppurtunity for F1... I just hope they design a decent, different track. Keep Tilke away!

By 2008, I think Formula 1 will have dropped Imola and Malaysia... And added South Africa, India, and Mexico.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1224179)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I fear Tilke will be guaranteed to design the track, StickShift....
Old 13 Feb 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1224186)   #13
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why will malaysia be dropped ? did i miss something ?
Old 13 Feb 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1224215)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

I doubt Malaysia will be dropped.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1224241)   #15
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
When does Malaysias contract run out ?

I think San Marino and Nurby should be dropped.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1224248)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Malaysia hasn't been a particularly successful event. All too often the grandstands mostly contain Aussies and Japanese who've gone to the event because it's cheap for them to. They really need another marketing push to sustain that one. The Nurburgring can go in my book, and Imola, and I'd like to see a new Eastern European venue in place of the Hungaroring.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1224249)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
When does Malaysias contract run out ?

I think San Marino and Nurby should be dropped.
Maybe, but the reason why Germany and Italy have two races is because their very successful, and popular.

In an ideal world, especially on the edge of 20 races each country should only have one Grand prix.
However, each year they could aternate between the two.

Last edited by luke; 13 Feb 2005 at 11:47.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1224253)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Malaysia hasn't been a particularly successful event. All too often the grandstands mostly contain Aussies and Japanese who've gone to the event because it's cheap for them to. They really need another marketing push to sustain that one. The Nurburgring can go in my book, and Imola, and I'd like to see a new Eastern European venue in place of the Hungaroring.
Yes, but that's good for Malaysia.

Tourism income is important to that country. And of course its cheap income too. A tourist doesn't hit the welfare system so its a direct profit.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1224256)   #19
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Many tourist hit the welfare system here in Australia, we tend to call them "kiwi's" tho....
Old 13 Feb 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1224627)   #20
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I've also heard that, particularly on Friday and Saturday, the government gives away free tickets to students in order to encourage them to fill the stands. I'm not vouching for the authenticity of this, though.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1224655)   #21
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
From Crash.net

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has declared that India will host a Formula One grand prix within the next three-years.
Bernie says a lot of things
Old 14 Feb 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1224811)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

When he says things like that, they tend to happen.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1225016)   #23
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, yes they do. But not always for the better.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1225178)   #24
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr230772
it makes sense for him to look there he can get some nice tobbacoo money there and any where else in the third world poor bernie

tobacco sponsorship for sports is not allowed in india. the law has been in place now for a couple of years at least. contrast that with many first world rich countries that still bow to the money that tobacco companies are willing to pay. got to hand it to those 3rd world poor sods. starving and naked and still a sense of dignity.

shadow
Old 14 Feb 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1225310)   #25
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully the Indian track will have a bit of soul.