Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Mar 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1549421)   #1
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alonso Vs rossi - the duel

just read in autosport that rossi, stung by alonsos claims that he could stick a moto GP bike on the podium has issued a high speed duel to alonso:

"I read that if Alonso is able to make some practice then he can put a MotoGP bike on the podium with me," said the 27-year-old Italian.

"Well, I think we should drive a Formula One car, a World Rally car and a MotoGP bike, add the times together and then we will see who is the fastest."

Alonso told Gazzetta dello Sport that he was ready for it.

"Valentino triple challenges me? I find it something very enjoyable. So I reply I'm ready for it."

How cool would that be?!

doubt it will ever happen tho.

Alonso would need to put in a lot of hours on a moto GP bike before hand, and I doubt Ron would like another of his new drivers riding on two wheels too often...
Old 15 Mar 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1549439)   #2
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi drives (road) cars regularly, Alonso may have never ridden anything with an engine. I think a relatively mediocre bike racer would have a chance against Alonso in a combined task, even with 2 car and 1 bike session, but Rossi would trounce Alonso, or any F1 driver for that matter. He's not that much slower in Fernando's 'home' machines.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1549493)   #3
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would pay to see this on PPV or live
Old 15 Mar 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1549615)   #4
Carse
Racer

Carse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fernando seems to be blinded by his overly large thunderbirds style eye brows, he needs to wake up, he would get trounced.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1549648)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I thought Alonso was a keen biker?

I think it needs to be said, as I recall, that, at the time, a big deal was made out of Alonso's comments. What was claimed he said, and what he actually said, or at best/worst what was meant by them constrasted by what was claimed was meant, were quite different things.

Having said that, it would be immense if this ever happened. I would happily pay to see it.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1549818)   #6
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rossi would win hands down apprently in rally he is really good too! alonso must be embarassed saying this as i think he would lose lol
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1549821)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fernando will better get ready for a serious ass whoopin'!
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1549832)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso isn't known for running his mouth like some drivers, he wouldn't be saying comments like these if he wasn't quietly confident about the result.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1549868)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You have obviously never raced a bike!
It's nothing like racing a car to the limit, where you don't have to worry about high siding, tank slapping, tail whipping, front losing action!

He'd be happy to come in last in a race, that is if he doesn't fall off ofcourse.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 22:32 (Ref:1549885)   #10
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha this is amusing.

in an F1 Car.. Alonso 0.5-1s quicker..
Rally: Rossi quickest definatly!
Bike: Rossi 10s+ faster
Old 15 Mar 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1549896)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you're giving Rossi a bit much in the F1 car. Maybe with one good lap he could get within a second. But, if it's over a stint, or more, no way, Alonso would smoke him. Especially on a driver's track like Spa or Suzuka.

On the bike, Alonso would have no chance. On either qualifiers or over a race distance.

The rally car, I dunno. It seems like Rossi has the advantage. Not sure if Alonso has ever driven one.

I agree though, I'd pay to watch it.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1549926)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even Michael Schumacher wouldn't say something like that....Alonso must be nuts! He thinks that since he's the reigning WDC, he could do it all
Old 16 Mar 2006, 02:59 (Ref:1549987)   #13
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I respect Alonsos' abilities, I also think he would not win this matchup. Vale would likely win at least 2 of 3. I would order it up for sure, if available in this neck of the woods.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 03:08 (Ref:1549989)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna12
As much as I respect Alonsos' abilities, I also think he would not win this matchup. Vale would likely win at least 2 of 3. I would order it up for sure, if available in this neck of the woods.
I think it is definite the maximum Rossi could win is 2/3, and the same applies to Alonso.

I think we can take it for granted that Rossi would certainly win the bikes, and that Alonso would certainly win the F1.

The rally is rather more up in the air, and I would not like to guess on that.

How the times would compare, once totalled, man, well, who knows...this is why I would pay to find out!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 03:40 (Ref:1550004)   #15
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares if Alonso loses? I doubt either of them are doing this our of bitterness..... I bet they just would do it out of fun. So stop abusing Alonso for arrogance. He is having fun. Get over it.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 05:40 (Ref:1550036)   #16
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso should get to add another vehicle that he prefers, as we know Rossi has bike (dur!) and rally experiance. But what should it be? And then, as a potential tie breaker, something radical that neither have done, like supertruck racing...
Old 16 Mar 2006, 05:47 (Ref:1550039)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
The radical thing shouldn't be on wheels, but should be motorised.

What about speedboats?
Old 16 Mar 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1550150)   #18
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone else notice the likeness between Rossi and Kemal from BB last year?

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/m2...BFB6FA0000.jpg <-- Kemal

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35266 <--- Rossi

Hope these links work!

Old 16 Mar 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1550165)   #19
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is that a man or a woman ? or both
Old 16 Mar 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1550166)   #20
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I wish I could find the link [about a fortnight ago] but either on Yahoo F1 or ITV F1 Alonso was CLEARLY quoted as saying something to the effect that although Rossi came close to within a second of an F1 driver, it would be almost impossible for him to win a WDC let alone a GP in F1. His reasoning being the final second or so that makes or breaks a Champ in F1 is very difficult to find.

He also CLEARLY stated that Dani [Pedrosa] and the others were on two wheels from early stages in their lives therefore even if he [Alonso] practised and mastered a GP bike he would never find that last second that can make all the difference in terms of being crowned champion.

Now in this world of media twisting we live in...we seem to have ended up with misquotes from Rossi and Alonso...to stir up some 'action'.

When you think about it seriously you know deep down that Fernando is not the kind who makes blatant comments anyway.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1550169)   #21
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the problem is .. in F1 .. there is the last second ..
in MotoGP .. it's the last 5 seconds

Ciao Marco
Old 16 Mar 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1550205)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sounds fun - hope it happens but doubt it will.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1550237)   #23
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Found that link and its from the Beeb! Alonso never mentions a podium in MotoGP. Instead he acknowledges both disciplines are bloody tough. Simple.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4722304.stm
Old 16 Mar 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1550351)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by downforce
...Alonso was CLEARLY quoted as saying something to the effect that although Rossi came close to within a second of an F1 driver, it would be almost impossible for him to win a WDC let alone a GP in F1. His reasoning being the final second or so that makes or breaks a Champ in F1 is very difficult to find.

He also CLEARLY stated...if he [Alonso] practised and mastered a GP bike he would never find that last second that can make all the difference in terms of being crowned champion.

Now in this world of media twisting we live in...we seem to have ended up with misquotes from Rossi and Alonso...to stir up some 'action'.
Which confirms what I remembered thinking at the time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I think it needs to be said, as I recall, that, at the time, a big deal was made out of Alonso's comments. What was claimed he said, and what he actually said, or at best/worst what was meant by them constrasted by what was claimed was meant, were quite different things.
Thanks, downforce, for sourcing something that conveys the true nature of what Alonso was saying.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1550562)   #25
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

This is so gay for Alonso. What is he nuts !
Bikes are not so easy to drive. i say give Alonso 200 laps and still he will be 10-20 sec slower then Valentino(or even more, if he doesn't crash at 250km/h and ******* die).LOL. In MotoGP are bikers that are 5-10 sec slower then Valentino, and "bike riding" is their JOB.
Alonso is not half the biker Vale is.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
And one more thing. A F1 driver sits in his cockpit safe when driving with 300km/h, and i can not say the same about the MOTO GP riders.