2 7 11.48%
1 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Sep 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3307785)   #26
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's a good spectacle... 5
Old 22 Sep 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3307793)   #27
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Try telling Webber that the cars are bullet-proof........his certainly hasn't been, although of course Vettel's pretty much has.

As a Sky refusenik I only saw the highlights, but can't say I was ever in danger of falling asleep - quite a lot of battles further down the field, particularly as the tyre strategies worked out. Thought Hulkenberg's penalty was harsh, and penalising Webber for his lift back was humourless....

Gave it a 6.

I meant generally bullet proof although I agree Vettel seems pretty much immune as did MS before him.
Old 22 Sep 2013, 21:38 (Ref:3307812)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I demand they do something about this. The best laps were the ones at the end because of the tyres, perhaps they should go more extreme with the tyres...

Old 22 Sep 2013, 21:55 (Ref:3307828)   #29
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 all round except for , can not remember her name on the Beeb team, I just wish she would throw the fashion accessory away, in fact the Beeb could save a mint by not employing her full stop
Old 22 Sep 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3307852)   #30
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't get the 'spectacle' of the night race thing. The lights are so bright they create a sterile glare that is very unpleasant. They also make every part of the track look the same, which is compounded by it being a street circuit. Also, the bodywork of the cars is so shiny that the lights turn each one into a bright blob making it impossible to tell one from another from many camera angles.

Pointless gimmick....
Old 22 Sep 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3307864)   #31
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
How is it possible that one driver can win by 30 seconds? It's not all driver, these are world class drivers. I'm a casual F1 fan for this very reason. I understand a team being the class of the field but over 30 seconds?
Thirty seconds is nothing compared to the past where Grands Prix were sometimes decided by minutes. It's not all driver, indeed. The car and team play a large role and that's something else that arguably played a bigger role in the past (in that the gap between first and last has shrunk), so if anything F1 is more to your preferences than it has ever been.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3307897)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I demand they do something about this. The best laps were the ones at the end because of the tyres, perhaps they should go more extreme with the tyres...

Why not have a 5 - 7 lap race on extreme tyres; if F1 wants to go Green it makes sense.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 03:42 (Ref:3307944)   #33
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1? I don't think I'd ever give any race in history a 1. Perhaps a Nascar race haha, but not F1.

The battle for the lead was actually very close. Just because they weren't on the same strategy and swapping back and forth doesn't mean it was a done deal, Vettel had to create a 30 sec gap in 14 laps. How was that not exciting watching and seeing if he can do it? If he only got 25 secs then Alonso could have won.

What about the battles back from the late pitters as the long stoppers faded?

I found this race quite good in the end. Maybe a 7.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3308012)   #34
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
5 - Vettel's dominance is not particularly exciting, but it is impressive nevertheless. Not a great deal else happening of interest until the final few laps when the different tyre strategys started panning out.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3308020)   #35
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1 - Didn't even bother watching it. It's fantastic for RBI to win all the time and Vettel has cemented his place as one of the all time greats but it's becoming tiresome to see him win all the time.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3308042)   #36
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Watched this in a pub with my good lady. We "put up" with the first 45 laps, then we just decided to leave as it was so dull. Sadly it seems as soon as we left some actual racing started to break out (which we knew would happen) however it couldn't stop this from being a total bore fest. I gave it a 2, and that was generous.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3308052)   #37
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
How is it possible that one driver can win by 30 seconds? It's not all driver, these are world class drivers. I'm a casual F1 fan for this very reason. I understand a team being the class of the field but over 30 seconds? it's a joke and it needs to be fixed.

You can have all the great racing you want from second on back but if the race winner is already all but decided, why should fans bother to watch?

Because you are witnessing the work of someone who will in time become known as an all time great, enjoy him, they don't come along very often!

It would be worth watching him just drive along on his own, oh wait ...
Old 23 Sep 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3308074)   #38
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How is it possible that one driver can win by 30 seconds? It's not all driver, these are world class drivers. I'm a casual F1 fan for this very reason. I understand a team being the class of the field but over 30 seconds? it's a joke and it needs to be fixed.

You can have all the great racing you want from second on back but if the race winner is already all but decided, why should fans bother to watch?
Think about this. Would you really want race results to be fixed?
I realise this is not what you actually meant (fixing the result) but assuming that in a competitive field excellence is undesirable is a nonsense.

If you are so desiring of a highly competitive race that ends in a close finish that you want a system corrected to produce an entertaining race and result is acknowledgement of everything that (in my opinion) is wrong with F1.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 10:32 (Ref:3308089)   #39
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I realise this is not what you actually meant (fixing the result) but assuming that in a competitive field excellence is undesirable is a nonsense.

If you are so desiring of a highly competitive race that ends in a close finish that you want a system corrected to produce an entertaining race and result is acknowledgement of everything that (in my opinion) is wrong with F1.
THAT'S IT! Bernie's next Big Thing. Handicap racing. The Marussias and Caterhams start off first with the rest of the field leaving at appropriate intervals according to driver competency and car performance.

The result would be a dead heat. Brooklands revisited. Mega!

I didn't watch it - I've managed to make the break and now there's no turning back. Don't forget, next year's engines are all-new and there will no doubt be engine failures. So at least there'll be that element of the "unknown". IMHO there are just too many races now, and that's why so many people are dissatisfied - the anticipation of having to wait, say 3 weeks between races, with a total of 12 in the season, would mean everyone would enjoy even a "Vettel walkover" just that little bit more.

As I said, IMHO. The fanboys wouldn't agree.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 11:01 (Ref:3308108)   #40
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 is my rating found myself drifting off ,it picked up toward the end. The cars under lights though look awesome, the livery colours so intense.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3308109)   #41
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
1? I don't think I'd ever give any race in history a 1. Perhaps a Nascar race haha, but not F1.

The battle for the lead was actually very close. Just because they weren't on the same strategy and swapping back and forth doesn't mean it was a done deal, Vettel had to create a 30 sec gap in 14 laps. How was that not exciting watching and seeing if he can do it? If he only got 25 secs then Alonso could have won.

What about the battles back from the late pitters as the long stoppers faded?

I found this race quite good in the end. Maybe a 7.
Nascar is more exciting than Indycars, the interest is dropping like flies over there

I'm a Vettel fan, and I thought the front was boring to watch, until the end when Webber was chasing down the front runners, that was fun too and the Mercedes going at it, and Rosberg getting angry when he was told to ''PUSH''! and he's like ''Why do I need to push???''

I'll give it a 6 this time.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3308115)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Nascar is more exciting than Indycars, the interest is dropping like flies over there

I'm a Vettel fan, and I thought the front was boring to watch, until the end when Webber was chasing down the front runners, that was fun too and the Mercedes going at it, and Rosberg getting angry when he was told to ''PUSH''! and he's like ''Why do I need to push???''

I'll give it a 6 this time.
Despite IndyCars woes and the ugly Dallara, I've seen some fantastic racing this season, much better than the last three GPs and NASCAR, left turn, left turn.....
Old 23 Sep 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3308179)   #43
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
James Allen on R5L described it as a 'slow burner', which summed it up well....

Waiting 2 hours for someone's tyres to maybe wear out more than somebody else's is not really my idea of a good time, to be honest.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3308181)   #44
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
James Allen on R5L described it as a 'slow burner', which summed it up well....

Waiting 2 hours for someone's tyres to maybe wear out more than somebody else's is not really my idea of a good time, to be honest.
Which brings us back to the old question - is F1 supposed to be entertaining us, or is it a sports which happens to be (occasionally) entertaining? What is its purpose? Are we supposed to be having a good time?

I bet the drivers/engineers/team managers all enjoyed the race - isn't that what it's about?
Old 23 Sep 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3308183)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Which brings us back to the old question - is F1 supposed to be entertaining us, or is it a sports which happens to be (occasionally) entertaining? What is its purpose? Are we supposed to be having a good time?

I bet the drivers/engineers/team managers all enjoyed the race - isn't that what it's about?
I always thought it was a bit of both.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3308189)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it certainly does have to be a bit of both but sporting aesthetic has to take a front seat to entertainment imo...and in a perfect world, adherence to that sporting aesthetic should be all the entertainment we need from it.

gave it a 6 because of some of the drama near the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerdic View Post
I really don't get the 'spectacle' of the night race thing. The lights are so bright they create a sterile glare that is very unpleasant. They also make every part of the track look the same, which is compounded by it being a street circuit.
have to agree the artificial lights for me is like watching a race in a supermarket.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3308196)   #47
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Chillibowl has it spot-on for me - the sporting aesthetic aspect. I've always believed that motor sport is for the participants. If we want to go along and watch, so be it. It hasn't been laid on for our delectation, much as BCE and CVC would want us to think as such. We have no real right to complain if it's boring - just stop watching.

F1 is about top designers, engineers and drivers trying to excel. If the result is entertaining , that's a bonus.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3308199)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Chillibowl has it spot-on for me - the sporting aesthetic aspect. I've always believed that motor sport is for the participants. If we want to go along and watch, so be it. It hasn't been laid on for our delectation, much as BCE and CVC would want us to think as such. We have no real right to complain if it's boring - just stop watching.

F1 is about top designers, engineers and drivers trying to excel. If the result is entertaining , that's a bonus.
So what happens if no one turns up to watch at the track or watch on TV?
Old 23 Sep 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3308205)   #49
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
So what happens if no one turns up to watch at the track or watch on TV?
if the number of viewers dropped dramatically and teams and sponsors actually had to look at competing under reasonable budgets then it might actually be a good thing.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3308214)   #50
Lazyking
Rookie

United States
Lazyking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

My point was not that I don't enjoy driver excellence but that one team in world class F1 shouldn't be THAT dominant. Motorsports as a whole is known for teams working to be the best at a given track. I just don't think that with all the talent in F1 at moment, all the money that is spent should give us the result we had.

I don't care if Vettel drove away but that fact was, he didn't need to conserve tires, and he drove away at two seconds a lap..

Writing alot of words to get my point across lol I Just feel like one driver has an unfair advantage and that imo is not what F1 should be about.