Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3607343)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Jarama Classic

Peter Auto season opener. All grids incl GpC + invited grid Iberian Historic Endurance.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 18:59 (Ref:3619068)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Nearly there- time flys and need to get ferries booked....

Timetable and entry lists here- https://peterauto.peter.fr/en/evenem...4/article/home

Looks like only taking two cars, so will be running light unless anyone wants anything taking to the Madrid area!

Old 1 Mar 2016, 20:04 (Ref:3619085)   #3
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey you are leaving it a bit late....Team Mother had the ferry booked months ago!!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 1 Mar 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3619094)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Blimey you are leaving it a bit late....Team Mother had the ferry booked months ago!!!!
Yes, but they're probably on some 'super advance special saver caravan Porsche owners club' offer... I'm on 'freight'!

What route & day? (pm if you'd rather it's not public)
Old 18 Mar 2016, 17:19 (Ref:3623911)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
You can't win. Having booked a ferry crossing to Spain and had it confirmed, the Ferry company have now cancelled the sailing!

New funnels not fitted in time, apparently. (All to do with emissions. )

So looks like now having to get a night boat to Caen the eve before then drive through France, and of course the day before is a bank holiday. Then there is the question on whether it will be ready for the return voyage!
Old 18 Mar 2016, 17:39 (Ref:3623916)   #6
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Nightmare...you just couldn't make this stuff up!!
Mag 7's #60
Old 18 Mar 2016, 18:16 (Ref:3623929)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Nightmare...you just couldn't make this stuff up!!
Your team boat is going to be well heavy, as the agent tried to transfer me onto it, and it's full.

The only positive right now is that I don't have to worry about the BofB weather!

Old 19 Mar 2016, 08:38 (Ref:3624156)   #8
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Team Mother will have plenty of people to talk to then......
Mag 7's #60
Old 3 Apr 2016, 06:08 (Ref:3629758)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, the weekend at Jarama is all over for many of us, with racing finished last night, followed by a superb evening hosted by Peter Auto at a local golf club! Both our races were on Saturday, which is a first. Busy, but means can load up this morn and have easy run to the ferry port.

So, in (2hr) 60s Endurance it was an excellent day for some UK racers! Jeff Moyes in his lovely blue and self looked after 356 Speedster won the Index of Performance and Pre 63 classes. The Stevens family were flying in their 356SC, finishing an excellent 15th (ahead of several 911s) and also getting a class podium. Our Morgan SLR finished 10th o/a, beat all the Porkers and was first non Ford V8 or Jag engined car home. No class podium, but valid reason- nothing to do with performance!

In CER1, the (ex Mr Ruston ) B8 finished an excellent (Goliath beating) 12th o/a, well ahead of the other similar Chevrons.

Both our cars ran faultlessly in their races, however Friday practice and qualifying did reveal problems that were all sorted in time. The drivers all loved the circuit layout, the organisation was good, and only criticism from me is fact that temps fell to below freezing Friday night! There was still frost in the shade 1000 hrs yesterday morning.....
Old 3 Apr 2016, 10:29 (Ref:3629807)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

only criticism from me is fact that temps fell to below freezing Friday night! There was still frost in the shade 1000 hrs yesterday morning.....
Glad everything worked out in the end, nothing worse than travelling hundreds of miles for the car to let you down, by the way it's warmer further down south at the moment !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Apr 2016, 16:09 (Ref:3629916)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Glad everything worked out in the end, nothing worse than travelling hundreds of miles for the car to let you down, by the way it's warmer further down south at the moment !
Gordon, I've driven on salted roads, in heavy rain and 4deg temps to get to north coast today, where it is 19deg! I was going to stop at a nice little services in the mountains, but as it was cold and windy, and there was snow all around, decided to leg it north.... Glad I did.
Old 3 Apr 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3629985)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Gordon, I've driven on salted roads, in heavy rain and 4deg temps to get to north coast today, where it is 19deg! I was going to stop at a nice little services in the mountains, but as it was cold and windy, and there was snow all around, decided to leg it north.... Glad I did.
Sounds like the truck could do with a wash and brush up Mike.

Given the quality of the UK's regular car washes these days (my neighbour had his car washed and valeted and the engine bay returned to "as new" (not bad for a 53 plate Volvo S6 series diesel) for a £10) I would suggest you seek out some economic migrants and offer then £15 to do the truck.

If course there may not be any on your route - but it's worth considering just in case some appear.
Old 4 Apr 2016, 06:32 (Ref:3630092)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Sounds like the truck could do with a wash and brush up Mike.

I would suggest you seek out some economic migrants and offer then £15 to do the truck.

If course there may not be any on your route - but it's worth considering just in case some appear.
I've got my own EM truck wash team hiding in the back.....

Some of the trucks arrived at Jarama covered in salt after getting caught in a snow storm en route. Fortunately I was ahead of it, but as is tradition, truck was washed immediately on arrival.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 05:08 (Ref:3630435)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
One of the important reasons I feel privileged to be at the PA race meetings is the cars! Now there is GpC to add to the CER, pre66 GT and Touring cars, and everywhere you look in the paddock there are gems to be seen.

I stood on the pit wall while GpC were practicing, and decided holding a board out for them would be scary in the least! The speed they came down the bumpy straight was gob-smacking.....

I didn't get a chance to take many pics, but hopefully have one of the Peugeot 908 on my phone. This one was taken by another team member, and the scheme is one of my all time favourites -
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 5 Apr 2016, 06:15 (Ref:3630440)   #15
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...a-Classic.html

Our full report is here, including the 905. Mike will surely like the shot of Bill almost losing the Morgan...

Last edited by henk4; 5 Apr 2016 at 06:27.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 07:21 (Ref:3630448)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Our full report is here, including the 905. Mike will surely like the shot of Bill almost losing the Morgan...
Whoops, my typo. Peugeot 905, not 908!

Have to wait until I get decent wifi before looking at the pics- especially the one mentioned. Still on ferry and its unsurprisingly rubbish.......

The 60s Endurance qualifying hadn't gone to plan, as the SLR developed a misfire during the session, so we finished up behind some cars on the grid would rather have been in front of. Normally John, the owner, starts, but it was decided that Bill would take the first stint and try to 'break' one or two of the German opposition! The plan worked, and by changeover the fastest 911 was 25 secs adrift. More importantly, it had destroyed it's left rear tyre trying to keep in touch, and the team suddenly decided to change it half way through their pit stop, losing a bit more time. The Porsche 904 was understandably in front of us, but somehow managed to completely mis-time it's driver change, incurring a 2 lap penalty as a result. No excuses for that!

The safety car period near the end could have undone our race, as John was stuck behind a very slow driver- lapping 30 seconds SLOWER than the SC! The car should have been black flagged.... Luckily the greens came soon enough for John to hold on to a good lead over the fastest 911. Exciting race from the pit wall!
Old 5 Apr 2016, 08:45 (Ref:3630460)   #17
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PA have just published a short highlights section on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEiG...ure=youtu.be&a
Old 5 Apr 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3630485)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
PA have just published a short highlights section on Youtube:
Yippee! Thanks Gary, fame at last..... (only watched first 20 secs as buffering sooo much!)
Old 6 Apr 2016, 06:29 (Ref:3630649)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Where's the CoC when you need him/her?

Courtesy of henk4's ultimatecarpage gallery, the pic on this link is worthy of discussion!

I've no idea what the Elan hit, but it lapped at unabated speed for several tours with most of the front end jammed under the front of the car, and sparks coming off the metal bits! Then the bonnet flew open as it passed us watching from the pit wall, doing the damage to screen and roof, and restricting the drivers vision somewhat. It then had a slow lap- maybe for driver to stop, get out and remove bonnet, and then continued to circulate! Eventually it stopped in the pit lane near the end of the race, but no idea if black flagged or just gave up.....

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/galle...hapecraft.html

It wasn't a good w/end for Elans, as the very fast Tromans / Meadon car lost it's bonnet in qualifying, again right in front of us on the pit wall. Although very conspicuous, the panel was literally run over by 2 more cars before the session was red flagged briefly for marshals to gather up the bits. Luckily the preparers body man was there and rebuilt the remains over night, the car appearing for the race with panel firmly taped down. Sadly mechanical gremlins saw the car retire from the race after all that work.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 07:48 (Ref:3630883)   #20
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was thinking about Portsmouth - Caen route for our trip to LMC. Using 18T rigid.
Would welcome your opinion Mike.
Old 8 Apr 2016, 07:17 (Ref:3631135)   #21
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike
Thanks for the PM. Did you get my reply?
Old 8 Apr 2016, 07:48 (Ref:3631136)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yup, got it thanks.

Trying to upload short vid of the Shapecraft bonnet flying open as it passes us on the pit wall, but no success so far! Mmm...
Old 8 Apr 2016, 16:04 (Ref:3631226)   #23
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
He certainly made a mess of the Elan...I think the initial damage was done when he went into the back of the 904...

I didn't realise that the roof was metal...I thought they were all fibreglass...
Mag 7's #60
Old 8 Apr 2016, 17:14 (Ref:3631246)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
He certainly made a mess of the Elan...I think the initial damage was done when he went into the back of the 904...

I didn't realise that the roof was metal...I thought they were all fibreglass...
Back of the 904? Obviously that was made of sterner stuff!

Shapecraft conversion used aluminium (I think- may have been steel) rather than fibreglass for the fastback top.

Seems the vid recorded on phone is not a compatible format to upload.....