Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Apr 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3729965)   #51
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good days racing, wind had a bite, Donington the same old.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 06:24 (Ref:3730010)   #52
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
I assume the Palmer/MSV lease hasn't started yet ?
Yes it has. Not sure of the exact start date but it wasn't until the start of the season basically, so no time for investment over the winter but definitely now an MSV circuit. Same day to day management team though and people I know in the area with dealings with the circuit have all said that this year is a transitional year with few changes whilst MSV assess what's required.

The Paddock has already been resurfaced, though, as one of the most obvious improvements.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3730011)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
What makes you say that?

Certainly no corporate MSV stuff in evidence, so that could be correct!
Old 30 Apr 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3730016)   #54
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another good days action action at Donington yesterday, tho a few more entries in sum of the races would have been nice. Here's my pics from the day, might had vid up later today:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geordi...57680064170313
Old 30 Apr 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3730018)   #55
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
What makes you say that?

Certainly no corporate MSV stuff in evidence, so that could be correct!
Since you asked

As a spectator who was with a car club parking on the infield, wandering the paddock, having breakfast in the paddock cafe and spectating in the old hairpin to Starkeys bridge area the only improvement I saw was that the last part of the banking near the bridge was less boggy than in the past.
The access track to the infield parking was still pothole riddled, the paddock was full of motorhomes, car trailers etc. If we are encouraged to visit the paddock then surely the cars should at least be uncovered by 10AM.
The cafe was the same unorganised mess as last year, the PA system still hasn't been installed from the hairpin to the bridge and beyond. Still no rubbish bins on that whole area, hence rubbish blowing about.

Reading what Andy has said I do hope MSV will use this year to sort out Donington and bring it up to their high spectator standards. (once they have catered for their real customers of course).

I look forward to seeing MSV differences at nexct seasons event.

btw....decent grids yesterday and some good and exciting racing. Especially liked the HTCC and HRDC races.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3730033)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well that was fun!

Arriving at a cold and damp Donington circuit on Thursday, my hopes for a dry weekend were somewhat pessimistic. But it stayed dry and although practice started damp we soon got a dry line. Last year we were running a brand new engine and for whatever reason it was down on power so I think my best lap was around 1:30. After a rebuild we took class a win at Spa and so although I wasn't doing too well at Goodwood I was pleased with a 1:27.003 in qualifying to put me third in class with Skid Scarborough on 1:25:810 and the Pochciol/Hansen car on 1:26.810. In fact the first five cars in the class were less than 2 secs apart! When I got in the car there was a big notice on the dash, "New Front Pads". Anyone watching at the chicane will have noticed my demon out braking attempt on my first lap. I just managed to stop before hitting the barrier and Richard Postins, who was following, admitted that he'd used the same braking point as me! Anyway after that the brake pads worked quite well.

Wandering the paddock over the weekend we found Mike Bell, not wearing shorts; Tony Gallagher came to say hello, good luck with your comp debut, the GT40 sounds an excellent choice; Greame Fowler who I chat with on Twitter came to say hello; Simon Drabble with an enormous grin after playing with his new toy in the HRDC qualifying; Chunterer who now regrets not bidding for a rover when it was auctioned; and lots of people who just like the Rovers. There were three from KCM this weekend, two Group A beasts and one Group 1B (mine).

The rolling start went well and although I tried to get past the Scarborough Capri at the chicane I was just a little short and had to brake harder to keep my nose, then the Group A Rover of Chris Williams, whom I had passed earlier in the lap came past and we ran nose to tail together down the pit straight. Interestingly the straight line speed between the two classes is very similar, the same thing happened later when Richard Postins passed me into the chicane it took him the length of the back straight from Coppice before he could out-brake me into the chicane. The difference is better tyres and brakes.

I kept my lap times in the 1:27s and was still third in class when I made my pit stop when I lost that position. After the stop I came out to an empty track so soon went into the 1:26s and then, as I was overtaking the 3rd in class Capri, my transmission failed so I rolled through the old hairpin and parked by the barriers just after Starkey's Bridge.

So, a curate's egg, really enjoyed the event and going quicker than I've been previously is always good. Sadly a DNF but a big thanks to MRL for organising the event; the marshals and officials for marshaling and officiating; and, to the security lady who threatened to tow my car and trailer away while we were loading an undriveable racing car, I hope the rest of your weekend goes well.

If I've missed anyone my apologies but thanks for coming to see us.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 11:42 (Ref:3730054)   #57
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The colour branding won't change in 2017, as it is the 40th anniversary of the re-opening of Donington Park. I expect it to change in 2018.

I understand that the Competitions and Markets Authority are looking in to the deal between MSV and Donington Park. I believe that MSV have been told they have to dispose of 2 circuits before they can officially take over at Donington. Bedford Autodrome and, possibly, Snetterton are the circuits in the possible firing line.

MSV have paid to have the paddock resurfaced over the winter, and with the rest of the remaining gravel towards Redgate being resurfaced in the future.

The Paddock Diner has changed hands over the winter, and was then closed for refurbishment. The lease for the Diner has reverted back to the original company and this is the first weekend of its re-opening.

There are rumours of the Redgate suites being demolished and rebuilt. Time will tell.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3730101)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I should also add that it was good to talk to Simon Hadfield. He and Louis Quiniou worked hard to get our htp sorted and finally get these cars recognised officially.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3730140)   #59
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I understand that the Competitions and Markets Authority are looking in to the deal between MSV and Donington Park. I believe that MSV have been told they have to dispose of 2 circuits before they can officially take over at Donington. Bedford Autodrome and, possibly, Snetterton are the circuits in the possible firing line.

MSV have paid to have the paddock resurfaced over the winter, and with the rest of the remaining gravel towards Redgate being resurfaced in the future.

The Paddock Diner has changed hands over the winter, and was then closed for refurbishment. The lease for the Diner has reverted back to the original company and this is the first weekend of its re-opening.

There are rumours of the Redgate suites being demolished and rebuilt. Time will tell.
Thanks for the info. Your first paragraph is very interesting, and suggests that the deal is far from being final!
Old 30 Apr 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3730168)   #60
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one from me, here's my vid from the Rallying with Group B live stage that was being run on the tarmac lake area over the weekend if anyone interested. Should have vid from main event sorted tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1HgWuGK20U
Old 30 Apr 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3730181)   #61
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Graeme Fowler who I chat with on Twitter came to say hello
(slightly fixed) Waves over here too

Finally catching up after three days in the wind up the tower at post 7, halfway down Craner Curves. I enjoyed the weekend, but I've got some mixed feelings towards one or two of the grids, particularly the final race on Saturday which was (a) long and (b) small.

It was my first historic/HSCC meeting for some time, and I was reminded repeatedly why I should do more of them. The big grid varied year TC/GT races were excellent fun, as always. I was sorry to see Peter's car break though, he was running quite well from my perspective.

Regarding the MSV thing; part of me hopes the corporate branding doesn't happen. Donington's colours are white & blue, I find it quite hard to see it white & red in future.

Highlight of the weekend? The Ferrari Dino. What a thunderingly beautiful car, amidst a sea of thunderingly beautiful cars.
Old 1 May 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3730261)   #62
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I was told on Saturday that the Donington brandin colours are being kept but not sure if that is 100pc.

Great weekend and hugely enjoyable catching up with the Touring Car folks around the Paddock including all at KCM, Ken, Hannah Mr & Mrs Mallett, Richard Postins, Williams Snr & Jnr. Patrick Watts and the Metro crew who were kind enough to let my race meeting deburant son sit in one of them yesterday, as did the Belgian crew with the beautiful white and red Batmobile. There was also Matt Kelly who i had not seen or spoken to since his MGF cup days!

I agree some grids were smaller than others but these things can be cyclical? (Grp C for example). Interesting that supertouring is down. Have some people started to realise these cars are delicate and expensive kit?

On track there was some great racing. I think this was pribably the best meeting yet?
Old 1 May 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3730277)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

I agree some grids were smaller than others but these things can be cyclical? (Grp C for example). Interesting that supertouring is down. Have some people started to realise these cars are delicate and expensive kit?
Not only expensive but the driving standards of some have been questionable in previous events as we know. Last year's Silverstone Classic was a good (Poor?) example. This year the group is trying to get the Group A and even Group 1.5 cars to join in. It's a shame because Supertourers are important cars in Touring Car history and should really be attracting big grids since there are loads out there.

Don't know about the best yet since I've only done two but it was certainly the driest!
Old 1 May 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3730280)   #64
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Yes it has. Not sure of the exact start date but it wasn't until the start of the season basically, so no time for investment over the winter but definitely now an MSV circuit. Same day to day management team though and people I know in the area with dealings with the circuit have all said that this year is a transitional year with few changes whilst MSV assess what's required.

The Paddock has already been resurfaced, though, as one of the most obvious improvements.
Yes and No.

Don't forget that the Competitions and Markets Authority has commenced an investigation (https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/msv-gro...merger-inquiry) and issued an initial enforcement order. (https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment-order.pdf)

In effect the merger is stalled until any investigation has been completed. No date is given as to when the matter might be resolved.

Jim
Old 1 May 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3730285)   #65
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Jim, if didn't know that and had just taken the initial announcement at face value.

My memory is that when MSV previously tried to take over Silverstone they suggested that they would put Cadwell up for sale. But who else could take it on? And Cadwell isnt really a competitor to Donington. Donington, as one of the major circuits only really competes for custom with Silverstone, Oulton, Brands, and Snetterton (and let's think about who owns 3 of those 4!!)

Bedford isn't really a competitor as a track day only centre (and it already has planning permission for a large housing development!)

It will be interesting to see what happens. On the one hand I think that MSV is one of the few operators that can afford to invest in Donington (and it needs it) but on the other hand I do worry about most of the major circuits being in one basket.

Pity MSV didn't take over Rockingham really, at least it could be promoted as something different.
Old 1 May 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3730302)   #66
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
Last one from me, here's my vid from Saturdays action that i cought with the times in the vid if anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/v62OUXV_s20

00:00 - 00:50 - Pre-61 Front engined Formula Juniours
00:50 - 04:48 - HSCC Super Touring Car Challenge
04:48 - 07:35 - Mad Jack Pre-war sports cars
07:35 - 09:44 - HSCC Historic F2
09:44 - 10:52 - HTCC with Tony Dron Trophy
10:52 - 16:18 - Stirling Moss Trophy for Pre-61 Sports Cars
16:18 - 19:08 - HRDC Touring Greats
19:08 - 25:16 - Pre-73 Prototype, Touring & GT cars
Old 1 May 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3730339)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I'll be honest and admit that I'm not Donington's No1 fan, but guess we've all got to have favourites and other circuits not so favoured......

My weekend thoughts....

Although it was good to see some of the paddock covered with new tarmac, you'll not get over the fact that it's an odd shape and not particularly large! If they tarmac the gravel area and bring that into the main equation it will be a great asset. This year it didn't help having trade stalls where there really ought to have been race cars.

I agree with a comment that Brands made, that the paddock 'discipline' was poor. At an event aspiring to be one of the top Histo meetings, I think the organisers need to make more attempt to 'control' the paddock layout. When I arrived Thursday around 1430 it was already chaotic, and the hard-pressed paddock marshals had virtually waved a white flag. Although it used to grate a bit, the Silly Classic idea that preparers are able to pre register and go to an allocated part of the paddock would help. (Even better would be power hook up for their transporters, so they don't run leads across from garages. )

The rest of the space needs to be laid out so that the cars are on display from the spectator walkways / access roads, and any closed trailers needed for storage parked behind. Others should be parked in a trailer park, and all support vehicles not required to be with the race car, also. Competitors personal transport should be in another specific parking area and not abandoned anywhere in the paddock. When it came time to pack up yesterday we couldn't load because of road cars parked immediately behind my trailer, so had to move into the access road to do so, causing congestion for others.......

I can't comment on infield improvements or not, and quality of tannoy broadcast around the circuit, but such things I guess will be gradual, and of course with what has been said about the MSV takeover in the last few posts, likely some stuff will be on hold!

Some of the good things about the weekend- We dined extremely well in the village, the nearby Premier has some of the friendliest hotel staff anywhere, it didn't rain while we were on track, and I actually started to find a rhythm during my stint in GTSCC! I've always struggled with the layout, and have not come away before thinking that I've given a good account. But this time it seemed to be going better- until I lost any retardation approaching the chicane (Roberts?) and finished up in the gravel! As the nearest tractor was at Redgate (that's something to be addressed by MSV if they take over), I lost 6 laps while waiting to be recovered. Next lap the SC came out for a abandoned Healey in the middle of the track at the same corner and an oil slick that had obviously been made as something broke on the car.....

Big thank you to all the marshals and rescue crews at that corner for your help getting me back on the black stuff and cleaning the Healey's oil up. Congratulations also to the marshal who chased a wheel from another Healey that fell off on the start straight. Amazing that the errant Minilite went straight along the fence all the way to Redgate before running out of momentum, then stopped on the grass! Also well done to the driver who 3 wheel'd across to the grass by the pit exit, parking right against the barrier out of harms way.....

Some excellent grids, at least a couple not so plentiful. The 1000km series, which from memory now incorporates the old HSCC Martini Trophy, seems to be still struggling to attract entries, which is a shame. I was surprised by the poor Supertourer field, especially when the MRL race for earlier cars was so well supported.
Old 1 May 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3730397)   #68
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the paddock and infield shots Craig it's a part of the event I never get to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Another good days action action at Donington yesterday, tho a few more entries in sum of the races would have been nice. Here's my pics from the day, might had vid up later today:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geordi...57680064170313
Old 1 May 2017, 21:58 (Ref:3730445)   #69
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have very much enjoyed my weekend. The event felt larger and more interesting then a typical clubbie but not as overrun as the Silverstone Classic or the Revival.
A bit like a VSCC meeting but for later cars.
The public were courteous and knowledgeable
For me it was great to meet friends who normally drive in other more international series.
Paddock on Firday was a total shambles, the naked trailers need to get sent elsewhere as the are just in the way and of no use, it is lazy and selfish to dump them in the pitlane

Have changed my opinion to the better.

RuE
Old 2 May 2017, 05:26 (Ref:3730478)   #70
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Although it was good to see some of the paddock covered with new tarmac, you'll not get over the fact that it's an odd shape and not particularly large! If they tarmac the gravel area and bring that into the main equation it will be a great asset. This year it didn't help having trade stalls where there really ought to have been race cars.

I agree with a comment that Brands made, that the paddock 'discipline' was poor. At an event aspiring to be one of the top Histo meetings, I think the organisers need to make more attempt to 'control' the paddock layout. When I arrived Thursday around 1430 it was already chaotic, and the hard-pressed paddock marshals had virtually waved a white flag.

Although it used to grate a bit, the Silly Classic idea that preparers are able to pre register and go to an allocated part of the paddock would help. (Even better would be power hook up for their transporters, so they don't run leads across from garages. )

The rest of the space needs to be laid out so that the cars are on display from the spectator walkways / access roads, and any closed trailers needed for storage parked behind. Others should be parked in a trailer park, and all support vehicles not required to be with the race car, also. Competitors personal transport should be in another specific parking area and not abandoned anywhere in the paddock. When it came time to pack up yesterday we couldn't load because of road cars parked immediately behind my trailer, so had to move into the access road to do so, causing congestion for others.......
I actually reckon that the pits and garages are in the wrong place! When the circuit was reopened it may not have been such an issue as the Melborne Loop didn't exist then and so things may not have been as squeezed in but now everything is constrained within a triangle of land which just isn't big enough, and is an odd shape.

In an ideal world the pits and Paddock should, perhaps, be where the Exhibition centre (and outdoor auction site) is, on the main straight. There is then plenty of land available to lay the Paddock out properly.

Trouble is that the first corner would then be the chicane, and maybe not ideal, and of course the Exhibition Centre is a nice little earner for the circuit, although I am not sure how much use it gets these days.

If MSVR take over, I wonder if they would consider such developments. Very expensive to do, but if there are aspirations to have the Bike GP back there, or World Superbikes etc etc, as they used to, then I would have thought that they were necessary developments.

They could even keep the existing pits, paddocks, media and race control, and medical centre where they are to cut down cost and thus provide extra facilities.

Can't see it happening, but you can but hope.

Last edited by andy97; 2 May 2017 at 05:35.
Old 2 May 2017, 06:31 (Ref:3730486)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andy, you're right, but would need a big investment. As you say, depends on the aspirations for the circuit of whoever is running it.....

Thanks, by the way, to Grant and yourself for the local advice on roadworks and eating places! I went via M40 and, apart from slow traffic on the A42 after a breakdown, had a clear run. Friday morning, apparently the M1 was closed by an accident for some time and the M40 route was hit by all the extra traffic- but at least it was moving! Returning home Sunday afternoon down the M1 was trouble free, so following the advice worked.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 2 May 2017 at 06:36.
Old 2 May 2017, 07:40 (Ref:3730498)   #72
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Happy to help
Old 2 May 2017, 08:29 (Ref:3730511)   #73
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fish Noooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
. . .
They could even keep the existing pits, paddocks, media and race control, and medical centre where they are to cut down cost and thus provide extra facilities. . .
Sorry Andy but that would be madness! Just think how almost everyone hates "The Wing".

Regards

Jim
Old 2 May 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3730512)   #74
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Sorry Andy but that would be madness! Just think how almost everyone hates "The Wing".

Regards

Jim
Plus, moving the pits to the main straight wouldn't solve the problem that the existing pit lane has - it's on an incline. (Something that Mr Gillette was supposed to be solving with his new Donington Grand Prix circuit).
Old 2 May 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3730518)   #75
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The poor supertouring turnout was one of the reasons I didn't bother attending this one.