Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jul 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3750900)   #76
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I just hope they sit down and find a solution, a great GP is at stake here.
They will.

It's just a small matter of cleaning up a fairly large amount of doggy poop left behind by a stray St Bernard, with some specially formulated Liberty branded anti-bacterial poop wipes.

The British GP at Silverstone is here to stay for a while yet.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3750991)   #77
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
OK, lets analyse what the BRDC, or any other GP promoter has to sell.

1: A one make GP3 race of identical cars: Spectator value 4 out of 10
2: A one make GP2 race of identical cars: Spectator value 6 out of 10
3: A one make Porsche 911 race: Spectator value 4 out of 10

4: An F1 race for 20 cars, 14 of which have no chance of winning: Value 8 of 10

Average Spectator value of races: 5.5 out of 10

If you factor in atmosphere,occasion,heritage etc,etc you may reach a value of 7 out of 10.

Does the price of hosting a GP represent value for money -in my view No.
Can you turn a profit on the product you're selling - Again, in my view No.

Is the asking price for a GP by BE/Liberty too high.....I would say Yes
Personally I'd give the 911 race the 8 out of 10.......
Old 13 Jul 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3751001)   #78
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'd like to see the BTCC back on the bill.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3751004)   #79
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just want to go on record to say I hate Liberty Media. They will ruin your favorite things to make a buck. I seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Personally I'd give the 911 race the 8 out of 10.......
Yeah, the Supercup races used to be awesome. I haven't seen one in many years. Do they still let the guest driver get trounced?
Old 14 Jul 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3751100)   #80
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I'd give the Porsche SuperCup 8/10 too but I've tried to value each race through the eyes of a promoter and the average punter.

Without the F1 race I think you'd struggle to attract 10,000 through the gates.
I'm convinced the BRDC would be financially better off if they hosted a Coldplay or Adele concert!
Old 14 Jul 2017, 09:51 (Ref:3751108)   #81
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
BBC breaking news that the owners have confirmed that the break clause has been activated.

BBC Link. Apologies if this is Geolocked

On Autosport website as well.
I don't believe for one minute that this race will disappear..
Old 14 Jul 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3751119)   #82
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it seemed the London event went off alright, so I'd say a bit more promotion like this will bring them in
Old 14 Jul 2017, 11:11 (Ref:3751129)   #83
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BRDC chairman John Grant:
Quote:
We sustained losses of £2.8m in 2015 and £4.8m in 2016, and we expect to lose a similar amount this year.
Something definitely awry when one of the most popular races on the F1 calendar loses money year after year. I mean the broadcast revenues alone! Old(er) info now but I remember a statistic that some 360 million people worldwide watch every Formula 1 race. How can you not make sense of that!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
It's just a small matter of cleaning up a fairly large amount of doggy poop left behind by a stray St Bernard,
Old 14 Jul 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3751134)   #84
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
BRDC chairman John Grant: Something definitely awry when one of the most popular races on the F1 calendar loses money year after year. I mean the broadcast revenues alone! Old(er) info now but I remember a statistic that some 360 million people worldwide watch every Formula 1 race. How can you not make sense of that!?

As far as I'm aware, the only income the BRDC get from the Grand Prix are the gate receipts. All other income, advertising, broadcast rights etc goes direct to FOM/Liberty Media...
Old 14 Jul 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3751136)   #85
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not disagreeing with you VivaGT, too right.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3751143)   #86
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
As far as I'm aware, the only income the BRDC get from the Grand Prix are the gate receipts.
And merchandising, and trade stand fees, and catering, and club memberships, and car parking, and camping, and landing fees, and hospitality box fees etc. etc. etc.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 14:47 (Ref:3751186)   #87
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Without the F1 race I think you'd struggle to attract 10,000 through the gates.
I'm convinced the BRDC would be financially better off if they hosted a Coldplay or Adele concert!
Time was when non F1 big meetings would get thousands and thousands. The only one that does is the bumper car racing masquerading as the current BTCC.

The TT, WEC were all big crowed pullers.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3751194)   #88
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well it seemed the London event went off alright, so I'd say a bit more promotion like this will bring them in
But that's the whole point, Silverstone fills the grandstands for the GP but the BRDC is still losing money.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3751232)   #89
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Interesting bit here from Joe Saward
https://joesaward.files.wordpress.co.../london-gp.pdf

I wouldn't rule out a London GP- the example he quotes would showcase an area of London that people don't widely know, everyone knows London key landmarks, so does a London GP need to run around them?

Maybe post Brexit and keeping the London is open for business message out there is attractive, particularly in a developing business district...

Silverstone will only work in the future if Liberty cuts the fee or 'gives back' some more rights for them to sell - the success of which is dependent on Silverstone being able to monetise them and increaser them at a rate to macth the escalator.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3751242)   #90
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

The TT, WEC were all big crowed pullers.
50,000 or thereabouts quoted for the April WEC weekend this year.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3751256)   #91
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
But that's the whole point, Silverstone fills the grandstands for the GP but the BRDC is still losing money.
The problem is the sanction fee. That's why there is no German GP and there hasn't been a French GP since 2008. Monza nearly lost the GP for the same reason. Now with Bernie gone, hopefully Liberty will see some sense. After all they have said they want the traditional European GPs to be at the heart of F1.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3751286)   #92
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Agreed, but greater promotion of the event is not what's lacking, though obviously it doesn't hurt.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3751327)   #93
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Ee bah gum...tis a longer running saga than Coronation St.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 06:11 (Ref:3751354)   #94
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone is I think the only race that doesn't get subsidised by some level of government.Without such a subsidy it is not possible to make a F1 race viable under current arrangements.It was this that caused the demise of Indianapolis.If Liberty make special arrangements for Silverstone 21 race organisers will come knocking at their door probably all together.
I hope Silverstone stays but it is not an easy problem.On Sky coverage on Friday someone said Liberty would take over the race but they needed the venue for 3 weeks for free for set up and pull down.BRDC said no so there goes one option.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3751370)   #95
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well we've got the French and German GPs returning next season, so there's no doubt we're getting a shift back to the old countries that have been around a long time, so I think the British GP will be here to stay
Old 15 Jul 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3751393)   #96
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
liberty were right to point out how obvious it was of silverstone to activate the bail clause in the week before the gp, but did it really create a tide of sensationalist panic? or was it reported in such a way that everyone sees that it's tactical?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Ee bah gum...tis a longer running saga than Coronation St.
ot, but ee bah gum is the wrong side of the penines for coronation street. bloody aussies
Old 15 Jul 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3751399)   #97
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
ot, but ee bah gum is the wrong side of the penines for coronation street. bloody aussies
And sheep botherers are on the other side of the ditch.

Either us or the Kiwis have to do something about that flag, confuses people!
Old 15 Jul 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3751403)   #98
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yes, that was kind of the point
Old 15 Jul 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3751433)   #99
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Silverstone is I think the only race that doesn't get subsidised by some level of government.Without such a subsidy it is not possible to make a F1 race viable under current arrangements.It was this that caused the demise of Indianapolis.If Liberty make special arrangements for Silverstone 21 race organisers will come knocking at their door probably all together.
I hope Silverstone stays but it is not an easy problem.On Sky coverage on Friday someone said Liberty would take over the race but they needed the venue for 3 weeks for free for set up and pull down.BRDC said no so there goes one option.
Re the section I've stressed - doesn't Monaco have a "no-sanction fee" deal?

I think it would be politically very difficult for a UK Government to introduce a subsidy which would effectively be paying Liberty an unjustified chunk of money.......
Old 15 Jul 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3751447)   #100
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Re the section I've stressed - doesn't Monaco have a "no-sanction fee" deal?
That's not true. Monaco GP does pay a race hosting fee. That fee however.. is very low. The lowest fee paid by any of the host GP's.