Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3770309)   #1
MrBloodmuffins
Rookie

MrBloodmuffins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has a driver ever won the WDC in a car that wasn't the best

I was having a conversation a long time ago with someone about Jacques Villeneuve where I was arguing that Indycar could produce F1 WDC winning drivers and the response was something like "of course he won the WDC, the Williams was the best car."

It is not until now though that the question came to me: Has a driver ever won a WDC in a car that wasn't the best car?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3770313)   #2
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher 94, Rosberg 82
Old 28 Sep 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3770316)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Prost 1986.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3770317)   #4
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stewart 1973, Prost 1986, Hulme 1967, Fangio 1957? Surtees 1964, Alonso 2005?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3770318)   #5
MrBloodmuffins
Rookie

MrBloodmuffins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it be accurate to add Senna in 91 assuming the Williams FW14 was better?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 18:23 (Ref:3770338)   #6
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it depends on what your definition of "the best" is.

There have been some very fast cars out there which didn't have reliability on their side, leading to slower, less groundbreaking, less radical but with better reliability, winning races and championships.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 19:32 (Ref:3770349)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess you could say any driver who won the driver's title while the team did not win constructor's title?

Course that could also be a great driver and a terrible teammate.

Or a car built to one driver's style and the other couldn't adapt.

Or the second and third place drivers were better than the second driver in the 'best' car.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3770359)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hunt
Old 29 Sep 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3770421)   #9
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keke Rosberg?
Old 29 Sep 2017, 01:47 (Ref:3770423)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mansell, 1992

...if you believe him...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 29 Sep 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3770508)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Stewart in 73, Lauda in 77, Schumi in 95, maybe Lewis in 08, and to an extent Button in 09
Old 29 Sep 2017, 12:03 (Ref:3770545)   #12
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Prost '86 is always the one that sticks out for me.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3770596)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
would you say that 2010 Kimi should be included? an impressive string of consecutive wins/podium to close out the season. arguably the Mclaren was the better car but their drivers were too busy taking points off one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
...and to an extent Button in 09
agreed. the Brawn was the best out of the gate and while they enjoyed tremendous success early, as the season wore on their smaller budget came into play and by the second half of the season the RB was the better car...and the better car for the next couple of seasons.

i imagine more years could be included if development over the season/development cycles are taken into consideration. Mika's 99 title (similar to RB in 2009). by mid season the Ferrari became more reliable and its run of dominance had begun.

Last edited by chillibowl; 29 Sep 2017 at 16:25.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3770689)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just want to say that the Kimi title was in 2007
Old 30 Sep 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3770722)   #15
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
82 Rosberg, 86 Prost, 94 & 95 Schumacher
Old 30 Sep 2017, 15:06 (Ref:3770740)   #16
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button 2009. Car started off well but was well behind the others due to lack of development during the season as things went on.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3770752)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

I'd say Schumacher's car was better than the Williams in 94, but not 95
Old 1 Oct 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3771093)   #18
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't accept Button in 09. Brawn won 6 of the first 7 races. RB was the best car by the end of the season but Ross Brawn has said (on a Motorsport Magazine podcast) he felt the car was still very competitive and that Button got nervous - a polite way of saying Button choked a bit.

Brawn also won the constructors championship...with Button and Barrichello, hardly 2 of the all time greats.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 01:26 (Ref:3771138)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about Hamilton, 2017?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Oct 2017, 05:21 (Ref:3771171)   #20
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If he wins the WDC, then yes.

In short, Ferrari was ahead at the start of 2017 season by a bit. Mercedes caught up and were toe to toe by mid season. After the summer break however, Ferrari is well ahead with both the chassis and the engine.

Ferrari don't have a track that suits their cars as the car has worked well on all tracks. Mercedes had a small advantage at Spa but since then nothing. Ferrari is expected to have the edge over Mercedes until season's end, so IMO, the Ferrari has been the best car of 2017. But they won't have anything to show for it. No WCC. No WDC.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 09:31 (Ref:3771213)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rosberg in 1982 of course having not read the thread.

I would say Prost in 86, the Williams was far the better car. And maybe even 85, but the year swung a lot in terms of who was quickest.

Maybe one of Alonso's? He was up against the dominant team of that period.

Hakkinen in 99? Think maybe Schuey would have won that one too were it not for the crash.

Would never say 94 Schuey as they cheated and in 95 they had the same engine as Williams, so hardly unequal!!
Old 2 Oct 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3771215)   #22
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Sand bagging a car that is 1.5 secs a lap faster than anything else doesn't count!

They are just playing with the rest of the field to make sure the rules are not drastically changed and they lose several more guaranteed titles.
Old 2 Oct 2017, 09:59 (Ref:3771220)   #23
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
If he wins the WDC, then yes.

In short, Ferrari was ahead at the start of 2017 season by a bit. Mercedes caught up and were toe to toe by mid season. After the summer break however, Ferrari is well ahead with both the chassis and the engine.

Ferrari don't have a track that suits their cars as the car has worked well on all tracks. Mercedes had a small advantage at Spa but since then nothing. Ferrari is expected to have the edge over Mercedes until season's end, so IMO, the Ferrari has been the best car of 2017. But they won't have anything to show for it. No WCC. No WDC.
Mercedes was under quite some pressure in Monza apparently. After all, after Spa Mercedes "had nothing".
Old 2 Oct 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3771232)   #24
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Mercedes was under quite some pressure in Monza apparently. After all, after Spa Mercedes "had nothing".
40 laps into the Monza GP Lewis had a 60 second lead over Vettel with the engine turned down!
Old 2 Oct 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3771234)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The cognitive dissonance on this forum is quite staggering at times...