Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2003, 22:51 (Ref:549385)   #26
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Peter Gethin's win still stands as the Fastest ever world championship race.

Is that win classed as a lucky win or what??????
Old 27 Mar 2003, 21:53 (Ref:550486)   #27
esorniloc
Veteran

When Montoya won his only Grand Prix and became a ONE-HIT WONDER, who would have thought that 21 Grand Prix later he still would be a ONE-HIT WONDER?
Old 28 Mar 2003, 05:26 (Ref:550707)   #28
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan-Hit Juander?

Both Panis and Alesi had the ability to win more than just one. Mika Salo would have been a perfect example had he not have to move over for Eddie Irvine.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 08:02 (Ref:550772)   #29
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
When Montoya won his only Grand Prix and became a ONE-HIT WONDER, who would have thought that 21 Grand Prix later he still would be a ONE-HIT WONDER?
Yeah, it's unbelievable isn't it. Shame the Willy's have been such dogs since 2001.

Maybe he can take win #2 if the Ferrari's and Mclaren's crash out of a GP sometime soon

Seriously though, JPM will get win number two, and I think it will be this year.

Vittorio Brambilla is the most surprising winner on that list I feel.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 10:19 (Ref:550864)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Isn't there one driver (a Frenchman) missing from the list? I apologise because his name escapes but he drove for Tyrrell at the time of his win (I think) then was killed testing an Alfa.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 10:24 (Ref:550871)   #31
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Patrick Depailler had 2 wins
Old 28 Mar 2003, 11:06 (Ref:550912)   #32
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika Salo was a driver I took a liking to for some reason. Think he got sold WAY short by Toyota last year. Here's hoping Panis can make a meal of his Toyota seat.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 11:45 (Ref:550947)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Armco Bender. Apologies. What were they?
Old 28 Mar 2003, 11:52 (Ref:550956)   #34
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Luigi Fagioli - Half-win with Fangio. Fluke
Piero Taruffi - Deserved
Luigi Musso - Should have won more, but unfortunately killed
Joakim Bonnier - Lucky
Giancarlo Baghetti - Lucky
Innes Ireland - Lucky
Lorenzo Bandini - Should have won more
Richie Ginther - Deserved win and should have won more
Ludovico Scarfiotti - Lucky
Peter Gethin - Lucky
François Cevert - Should have won many, many more
Jean-Pierre Beltoise - Deserved win
Carlos Pace - Should have won more
Jochen Mass - Lucky
Vittorio Brambilla - Lucky, but bloody good to see anyway!
Gunnar Nillson - Should have won more
Alessandro Nannini - Lucky, but deserved
Jean Alesi - Should have won more
Olivier Panis - Lucky but deserved
Juan Pablo Montoya - Will win more
Kimi Räikkönen - Will win more
Old 28 Mar 2003, 12:05 (Ref:550975)   #35
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
1978 Monaco Grand Prix
1979 Spanish Grand Prix
He should have won some more too,he was a good No2,and was good in the six wheelers.Funny just before you posted that I was just looking at photos of him in the '76'77 seasons.He also had a bad hang glider crash and missed quite a bit of racing for a while.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 15:28 (Ref:551184)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I remembered Monaco completely forgot the '79 Spanish.

Yep, he seemed always the bridesmaid never the bride. The hangliding accident actually instigated the rules about competing or taking part in any other sport or activity which could affect a driver's availability. They made that part of the Superlicence and that effectively put an end to drivers racing in other races during the GP weekend. Indeed it started the rot which stopped them appearing in anything other than F1 whilst they were under contract.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 17:44 (Ref:551337)   #37
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DNQ
[B]Yeah, it's unbelievable isn't it. Shame the Willy's have been such dogs since 2001.

The Willy is so bad at the moment have you seen the story how two of their aerodynamics guys have been sacked for doing such a bad job!
Old 28 Mar 2003, 17:45 (Ref:551338)   #38
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for the quote bit above - not quite yet mastered how the rest of you copy the bits and pieces.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 18:57 (Ref:551397)   #39
Chofar
Racer

Chofar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking about Depailler, he was also recovering from a bike accident when he started in formula 1 (he was a former bike racer). Rumours in 76-77 said he was the one who made the setups for his leaders (Scheckter, then Peterson). Was it true ? (if someone knows).
I remember hearing his death at Hockenheim on the radio. Very sad. He was also known as a big smoker, like Barry Sheene.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 22:06 (Ref:551574)   #40
esorniloc
Veteran

Full list of drivers who won 2 Grand Prix
José Froilan Gonzalez
Maurice Trintignant
Wolfgang von Trips
Pedro Rodriguez
Jo Siffert
Peter Revson
Patrick Depailler
Jean-Pierre Jabouille
Patrick Tambay
Elio de Angelis
Old 30 Mar 2003, 06:42 (Ref:552690)   #41
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you include those who won the Indianapolis 500 between 1950 and 1960 (when it counted for the F1 world championship) then that would introduce several more 'one-hit wonders' such as Rodger Ward and Jim Rathmann. But is it right to count those who won those Indy 500s as F1 race winners?
Old 30 Mar 2003, 09:00 (Ref:552712)   #42
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably not as they did not run under the Formula 1 regulations of the day. At best, they can be said to have won a World Championship EVENT, but then we're just getting into playing with words. They were not, to my understanding, F1 or Grand Prix wins.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 12:41 (Ref:552866)   #43
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kimi and Juan will win again. Juan is just not in the right position at the moment. They both even have champ potential.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 19:45 (Ref:553073)   #44
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Speaking about something like "multihit flukes", although I like Johnny Herbert, I think his wins were lucky (but he deserved a great career, what a pity that F3000 accident )

I wonder how many "multihit flukes" there are (more than one GP win, and ALL of them lucky). In the 2-GP list above, I don't see any inmediate case of "flukery".
Old 30 Mar 2003, 21:09 (Ref:553150)   #45
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, most of the two-wins list deserved them or maybe more. Trintignant is perhaps the exception as his '55 Monaco GP win was due to the Mercs retiring and Mr Ascari going for his infamous swim. His '58 win also came after the likes of Moss and Hawthorn retired. Am not saying that he shouldn't have had a win to his name, but he seem to me to be the 'flukiest' of the group.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 21:30 (Ref:553167)   #46
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seven drivers are on 3 wins - Hawthorn, Phil Hill, Frentzen, Pironi, Peter Collins, Boutsen and Herbert.

As already stated Herbert's wins have to be all considered lucky. The argument used for Trintignant could also be applied to Boutsen - Canada and Australia 1989 were both inherited from Senna whilst he won Hungary 1990 as nobody was able to overtake him. However one cannot say that he never deserved to win.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 22:29 (Ref:553226)   #47
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi will probably win again this season. Semi-luck/attrition. JPM probably won't win this season. If Williams doesn't shape up next year, he might not win again. It's a shame that the actual driver has about a 5% say on whether they can win or not.

Panis is a good driver, but there are plenty of other drivers not even in F1 that are as good.

Last edited by Snrub; 30 Mar 2003 at 22:30.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 01:52 (Ref:553327)   #48
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pedro Rodriguez, a brilliant driver and a great character desrving of a front -line drive. Both of his wins were flukes though.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 01:55 (Ref:553328)   #49
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I just wonder how strong Toyota will become before Olivier quits F1.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 21:46 (Ref:554264)   #50
esorniloc
Veteran

I didn't include the Indy 500 winners, as only one of them ever entered a GP!

But here they are
9 more one-hit wonders

Johnnie Parsons
Lee Wallard
Troy Ruttman
Bob Sweikert
Pat Flaherty
Sam Hanks
Jimmy Bryan
Rodger Ward
Jim Rathmann

Also Bill Vukovich won 2 races, so he is added to the 2-winners list.