Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jan 2007, 02:50 (Ref:1817139)   #1
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3 or Carrera Cup to support Aussie F1?

I remember reading an article about FIA GT3 supporting the Australian F1 race. But now on the official Australian F1 website, they have listed the Carrera Cup as the support race.

http://www.grandprix.com.au/default.aspx?s=on_track

So the FIA GT3 race is not going to happen in Australia?
Old 17 Jan 2007, 03:27 (Ref:1817143)   #2
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA GT3 is strictly European at the moment, I doubt they'd add a fly-away race in Australia.

Maybe you're confusing the fact that the cars are called Porsche 911 GT3 Cup?
Old 17 Jan 2007, 06:06 (Ref:1817172)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A field of European FIA GT3 cars were set to race at the Australian GP this year as a support race, it was mentioned in Autosport with quotes from Stephane Ratel that everything was falling into place, before at the last minute something happened and the deal fell over (it was mentioned Bernie stepped in to stop it)

The Australian Carrera Cup Championship is a support event at the AGP this year, as they have been since 2003.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 06:33 (Ref:1817178)   #4
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
A field of European FIA GT3 cars were set to race at the Australian GP this year as a support race, it was mentioned in Autosport with quotes from Stephane Ratel that everything was falling into place, before at the last minute something happened and the deal fell over (it was mentioned Bernie stepped in to stop it)

The Australian Carrera Cup Championship is a support event at the AGP this year, as they have been since 2003.
Well that is a bust. Nothing against the Porsches but I would rather have a mixed grid as opposed to cookie cutter grid.

L.P.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1817216)   #5
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Well that is a bust. Nothing against the Porsches but I would rather have a mixed grid as opposed to cookie cutter grid.

L.P.
Bernie has a reputation to keep for his beloved F1 - how else can it be "Formula Dull" if the support races have a second manufacturer in them!!?
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1817415)   #6
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard that it was a couple of hard hitting chaps that didn't want this race to happen...
With the lack of V8 supercars there, someone may have not wanted major publicity the GT series...but it could all be lies too...I'm only going on rumour and hearsay...
Personally I like them both, but the lure of a good GT field would always win out...
Old 17 Jan 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1817683)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 needs support races. It's expensive enough as it is, and whilst they're charging as much as they are and running pretty much sod all on the Sundays besides the main race, I have no desire to be anywhere near an F1 race these days.

It's kinda off-topic for a sportscar forum, but F1 could be such a good way of showing what each country has to offer motorsport-wise. For example, in Britain, get BTCC, BGT and F3 on the same bill as the GP. Shows everyone what the country's motorsport has to offer. Heck, it's gonna take up loads of paddock space, but it's a country's biggest motorsport event, and given the size of the gravel traps that the newer circuits have (i.e. the nearest grandstand being 3 miles away from the action), they ought to be equipped for this sorta thing anyway!?

I hear Australia used to put on quite a few decent support races at it's F1 race - why has this stopped!? F1 is supposed to be a major event, not the rip-off processional farce that it currently is.

Since sportscar racing is relatively unknown and underrated by the "masses", it would be great fun for a big crowd to see a GT series in action, particularly GT3 with it's really close racing. It would be publicity for the GT series, yet at the same time with F1 in it's current state, I'm quite glad that pukka GT car won't be gracing any F1 paddocks anytime soon.

Rant over lol