Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Feb 2016, 18:51 (Ref:3614895)   #26
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa was always my favourite team as a young lad back in the 70's and 80's, like the vast majority on here i would love to see them back, either as a rebadged Ferrari engine or a Toro Rosso buyout, it makes no difference to me, all i know is it would make F1 far more interesting straight away.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 12:46 (Ref:3615431)   #27
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I'm disappointed that the Force India/Aston Martin deal fell through. I'd love to see Alfa back, with rebadged Ferrari engines and their own chassis. As I said before, maybe a buy-out of STR? Is Mateschitz still looking to sell?
More or less everything in F1 is for sale to the right buyer at the right price, I would imagine!
Old 18 Feb 2016, 00:19 (Ref:3615592)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting that Alfa Romeo think F1 is preferable to WEC.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 00:23 (Ref:3615594)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Interesting that Alfa Romeo think F1 is preferable to WEC.
Perhaps not, when you remember who their boss is!
Old 18 Feb 2016, 06:05 (Ref:3615629)   #30
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I'm disappointed that the Force India/Aston Martin deal fell through. I'd love to see Alfa back, with rebadged Ferrari engines and their own chassis. As I said before, maybe a buy-out of STR? Is Mateschitz still looking to sell?
If Giancarlo Minardi is back at his helm at Faenza, go on...
Old 18 Feb 2016, 06:07 (Ref:3615630)   #31
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I remember Chiti days, and after Ferrari full F1 commitiment, Alfa Romeo shone in Prototypes with Merzario and Laffite in mid-1970s. In there they had more fortune than in its later F1 adventure 1976-85 (and up to 1988 in extend).
Old 18 Feb 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3615677)   #32
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it would be nice to see Alfa Romeo back in F1, but I cant help thinking they would only ever be allowed to play second fiddle to Ferrari by the head FIAT group, therefore they would never be allowed to win, hence I'm thinking its probably more appropriate that Sergio Marchionne directs the Alfa Romeo brand into an LMP1-WEC team......they would then get best of both worlds and be rubbing shoulders with main brand competitors Toyota, Audi and Porsche.......it would also be a nice way of avoiding the aggro of taking the Ferrari team into the WEC and creating a big polava with Bernie.......Alfa Romeo-WEC sounds logical to me........but if they do ever go F1, buying Torro-Rosso seems a no-brainer to me.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3615754)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
There is that.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3615770)   #34
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
it would be nice to see Alfa Romeo back in F1, but I cant help thinking they would only ever be allowed to play second fiddle to Ferrari by the head FIAT group, therefore they would never be allowed to win, hence I'm thinking its probably more appropriate that Sergio Marchionne directs the Alfa Romeo brand into an LMP1-WEC team......they would then get best of both worlds and be rubbing shoulders with main brand competitors Toyota, Audi and Porsche.......it would also be a nice way of avoiding the aggro of taking the Ferrari team into the WEC and creating a big polava with Bernie.......Alfa Romeo-WEC sounds logical to me........but if they do ever go F1, buying Torro-Rosso seems a no-brainer to me.
I was thinking the same exact thing. WEC makes a lot of sense for many reasons.

Richard
Old 18 Feb 2016, 16:56 (Ref:3615773)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I was thinking the same exact thing. WEC makes a lot of sense for many reasons.

Richard
F1 though, has a much higher profile with the casual motorsports fan compared to WEC.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3615787)   #36
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
F1 though, has a much higher profile with the casual motorsports fan compared to WEC.
Not to make this into an F1 vs. WEC discussion.... I am a fan of both and while F1 clearly has currently (and in the past) the larger audience, WEC is a quality product right now and arguably much better than F1. To knightly's point above, it is highly likely that regardless of the recent separation between Fiat and Ferrari, Alfa Romeo would not be allowed to challenge Ferrari. While in WEC they could be given a free reign and potentially achieve more with the same budget. I would rather run up near the front in WEC than midfield in F1. That is not a comment on lack of competitiveness of WEC, but rather the artificial difficulty of moving up the ladder in F1 (isn't every thread in this forum about "what is wrong with F1!" )

But who knows what if anything will happen with this. A key indicator is that in the Autosport article that launched this thread, it is Sergio Marchionne who is saying Alfa Romeo belongs in F1. And my (our) opinion(s) means nothing given his position (Fiat and Ferrari CEO)!

Richard
Old 18 Feb 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3615806)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think the WEC is a better fit for Alfa and the cost/benefit for a manufacturer may well make you chose WEC. However the cost is, in this case, much lower for Alfa (FIAT group) as they are already there. The ultimate cost is £30. 5 engines per year x 2 cars x £3 for each Alfa Romeo badge. They probably can get a good deal on badges too. Obviously there are the actual marketing costs, but I wasn't being completely serious.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 20:27 (Ref:3615811)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Not to make this into an F1 vs. WEC discussion.... I am a fan of both and while F1 clearly has currently (and in the past) the larger audience, WEC is a quality product right now and arguably much better than F1. To knightly's point above, it is highly likely that regardless of the recent separation between Fiat and Ferrari, Alfa Romeo would not be allowed to challenge Ferrari. While in WEC they could be given a free reign and potentially achieve more with the same budget. I would rather run up near the front in WEC than midfield in F1. That is not a comment on lack of competitiveness of WEC, but rather the artificial difficulty of moving up the ladder in F1 (isn't every thread in this forum about "what is wrong with F1!" )

But who knows what if anything will happen with this. A key indicator is that in the Autosport article that launched this thread, it is Sergio Marchionne who is saying Alfa Romeo belongs in F1. And my (our) opinion(s) means nothing given his position (Fiat and Ferrari CEO)!

Richard
Granted but F1 gives Alfa far greater exposure and marketing potential, which I think is what's behind this.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 21:35 (Ref:3615831)   #39
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
However the cost is, in this case, much lower for Alfa (FIAT group) as they are already there.
Quote:
Granted but F1 gives Alfa far greater exposure and marketing potential, which I think is what's behind this.
I can't argue against either point. Sadly... it is more likely they would be there to be a motorized billboard vs. being in a position to challenge for a world championship.

You look at someone like Haas. Maybe as long as they don't embarrass themselves, Haas (the sponsor, not the team) has achieved his goal from a PR perspective? Maybe the same for Alfa from Marchionne's position?

Richard
Old 18 Feb 2016, 22:03 (Ref:3615839)   #40
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the main differences that I see between F1 and sportscars from a marketing point of view is that F1 is primarily about the drivers where as sportscars is about the car make or manufacturer.
Put it this way in F1 the man in the street is more aware of the drivers names in F1 but Bentley is still known for its LeMans wins in the 1920's.
The exception to all the above is Ferrari.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 15:35 (Ref:3616034)   #41
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to be honest, being allowed to compete against Ferrari is not so much of a concern for me. budget wise they wouldnt even be able to compete against the big teams (so its a moot point anyways imo) and as long as they are not intentionally taking out or blocking Ferrari's competition on track then they would be the same as any new/small team on the grid.

and im also not too bothered if their entry is just a glorified branding exercise. ultimately i would rather see a car marque try to brand itself via F1 than billionaires branding an F1 team for their own egos...which actually doesnt bother me at all either.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3616037)   #42
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Better line-up for FCA...

Formula 1 - Ferrari

IndyCar - Alfa Romeo

WEC (Prototype/GT) - Maserati

WRC - FIAT

There, the racing card is filled, and all bases are covered.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3616119)   #43
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post

Formula 1 - Ferrari

IndyCar - Alfa Romeo

WRC - FIAT

No they aren't!You missed NASCAR but since you missed Lancia too.......
Old 19 Feb 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3616124)   #44
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lancia should be WRC. Dodge (!) NASCAR, Jeep Dakar and FIAT, errr, Gordon Bennett.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 15:20 (Ref:3616271)   #45
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
FIAT for the WTCC.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3616329)   #46
merak1974
Racer

Norway
Oslo
merak1974 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post

Formula 1 - Ferrari

IndyCar - Alfa Romeo

WRC - FIAT

I totally agree with Maserati for WEC/Prototype/GT, plus major GT series. But, they have to get the Alfieri production version out asap.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 12:12 (Ref:3616472)   #47
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting that if Torro Rosso was sold to become a Ferrari junior team under the Alfa Romeo name, would Red Bull still have some level of sponsorship?
Old 21 Feb 2016, 15:34 (Ref:3616495)   #48
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by merak1974 View Post
I totally agree with Maserati for WEC/Prototype/GT, plus major GT series. But, they have to get the Alfieri production version out asap.
The Alfieri is such a gorgeous car!
It'd be the best looking GT car out there!
Old 21 Feb 2016, 15:46 (Ref:3616497)   #49
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Looks a bit like the Aston Martin Vulcan from the front - which is no bad thing.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 21:03 (Ref:3616561)   #50
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sorry if this is already posted here.
But have it been noticed that the 2016 Ferrari F1 racer has Alfa Romeo logo instead of the Fiat?