Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Jan 2007, 23:28 (Ref:1816107)   #51
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
I was going to post something but later decided against it thats all Bentley03.
I assumed that was what had happened. Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old 16 Jan 2007, 00:25 (Ref:1816131)   #52
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rogers
For GT1, ALMS and LMES are only the best of the best with regard to one team, the Vettes. ALMS had a four car field each race last year ,a total joke and they will be lucky to have that this year. As for LMES vs FIA, I would certainly put the FIA GT1 cars above the LMES. Now I live in the states, I would love to see an ALMS revival, but it doesn't seem to be going that way. My hope is that the FIA series grows into a worldwid one. Again, not a ton of signs to show that will happen, but I for one am certainly hoping for it.

Chad
Maybe it's because you live in the states that you regard FIA GT so highly, I'm being serious. FIA GT seems to be thhought of highly in the US, maybe that's because the ALMS has lacked GT1 entries?

In Europe the series is hit and miss, losing out to the DTM/WTCC crowd at one end and the LMS/Le Mans fans at the other.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 01:32 (Ref:1816157)   #53
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are enough competetive GT1 out there - for the interested teams they can decide which championship to run - the choice for 2007 is currently
LMS: 6h/1000km-Format
ALMS: 2 1/2 h Format
JLMC: 1000km-Format
FIA-GT: 2h-Format
Frensh GT Championship : 1h Format
a topic to discuss: the FFSA-GT had from my memory the largest GT1-grids last year...
Old 16 Jan 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1816315)   #54
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Maybe it's because you live in the states that you regard FIA GT so highly, I'm being serious. FIA GT seems to be thought of highly in the US, maybe that's because the ALMS has lacked GT1 entries?

In Europe the series is hit and miss, losing out to the DTM/WTCC crowd at one end and the LMS/Le Mans fans at the other.
Yes, but the fact remains that the GT1 cars are both spectacular and attractive to look at and give the public (or Mr C hav on Bravo tv) the chance to drool over exotica on the box, making it marketable enough to sustain their own series. I don't think that mr public has a clue what an open top prototype is. This is the premise that Ratel banks on I guess?

They are good cars to have on a race programme, but does the series have enough clout at present to be a racecard topper?

The key is as has been stated - keep pushing to get the P&M Vettes involved (which might well happen if they haven't got anyone to race against in ALMS!) or at least partly supporting the couple of teams based in Europe so that the Maserati's and Aston's have proper competition.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1817240)   #55
Chad Rogers
Rookie

Chad Rogers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Maybe it's because you live in the states that you regard FIA GT so highly, I'm being serious. FIA GT seems to be thhought of highly in the US, maybe that's because the ALMS has lacked GT1 entries?

I do live in the US, but went to Siverstone to the FIA race last year and it was fantastic. There is nowhere is the US to see a grid like that. Speed GT is ok and ALMS's problems are well documented. I am just waiting to see what the GT1 grid ends up like and I may make another european race this year.

Chad
Old 17 Jan 2007, 08:39 (Ref:1817243)   #56
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
The key is as has been stated - keep pushing to get the P&M Vettes involved (which might well happen if they haven't got anyone to race against in ALMS!)
I'd sooner expect them to go the LMS route.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 09:00 (Ref:1817255)   #57
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
I'd sooner expect them to go the LMS route.
They'd be a great addition to the Spa 24 hours. Given recent 'history' and Dave Richards statement that they want to do all they can to help their customers get that elusive win at Spa (24 hours), an appearance there might just appeal.........
Old 17 Jan 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1817300)   #58
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
You wouldn't hear me protest. Been to the Spa 24h two times in the past three years and always enjoyed the Corvettes.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 09:45 (Ref:1817307)   #59
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You wouldn't hear me protest. Been to the Spa 24h two times in the past three years and always enjoyed the Corvettes.
Would be good wouldn't it

If they do come over then maybe they'll split their season between LMS and FIA GT1. LMS will likely come first as you say, but maybe they'll cherry pick a number of FIA GT rounds to promote the brand and or chuck a load of help to the privateers like GPLK & PSI as has been suggested earlier?

That'll keep the P&M race team nicely engaged and a bit of a Euro holiday to boot!
Old 17 Jan 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1817322)   #60
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Sounds sensible. This way it would also offset the cost and effort of relocation by having the team and cars on display wherever possible.
And PSI & GLPK would probably already be happy that the P&M boys could be some pitstalls down and dispense advice when needed.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1817324)   #61
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Sounds sensible. This way it would also offset the cost and effort of relocation by having the team and cars on display wherever possible.
And PSI & GLPK would probably already be happy that the P&M boys could be some pitstalls down and dispense advice when needed.
Might be happier still if P&M lent them personnel and didn't race against them in the same series!
Old 17 Jan 2007, 10:25 (Ref:1817330)   #62
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Better run second against the same-manufacturer works team than run fourth or fifth against some other teams I reckon.
But perhaps it would really make more sense to only bring the personnel over and help them staff the two prominent teams over here.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 10:52 (Ref:1817347)   #63
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Corvette racing do leave the ALMS in favour of the LMS then it can only be a good thing for the LMS and European sportscar racing generally. There would be no shame for PSI or GPLK in finishing behind the works Corvettes, everyone knows what a challenge it is to take them on let alone win.

In a way Im hoping Corvette do leave the ALMS as they have said if they do they will do a sportscar campagin in Europe consisting of perhaps the LMS and the Spa 24 hours. It would be good to see works teams from Maserati, Aston Martin and Corvette going head to head at Spa.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1817411)   #64
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
If Corvette racing do leave the ALMS in favour of the LMS then it can only be a good thing for the LMS and European sportscar racing generally. There would be no shame for PSI or GPLK in finishing behind the works Corvettes, everyone knows what a challenge it is to take them on let alone win.

In a way Im hoping Corvette do leave the ALMS as they have said if they do they will do a sportscar campagin in Europe consisting of perhaps the LMS and the Spa 24 hours. It would be good to see works teams from Maserati, Aston Martin and Corvette going head to head at Spa.
We've gone a bit off topic on this thread, but it's an interesting 'hypothetical' discussion.

In an ideal world, I do believe the P&M Corvettes should be racing on home soil. They would be a very welcome addition in Europe, but we don't need them. The ALMS, on the other hand, do need them. They just need some worthy opposition to race against.