Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jan 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2814253)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRDC races

On many of the meetings scheduled for 2011, there are 2 races for the new categories run by Julius Thorogood/HRDC. I mentioned them to a friend who has a suitable car but we can find no website of details anywhere. How is JT going to recruit drivers if they can't contact him or is it invitation only?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 17:41 (Ref:2814317)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
drop him an email direct@juliusthurgood.co.uk and he'll send you the info

first race is 9th April @ Brands

the new Grand touring greats looks good.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2814644)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't recall the categories but I think one is Oldies but Goldies. What's the Grand Touring Greats?
Old 12 Jan 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2814660)   #4
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I can't recall the categories but I think one is Oldies but Goldies. What's the Grand Touring Greats?
Julius is planning 2 categories - 'Touring Greats' and 'Grand Touring Greats'.

The first is for pre-60s touring cars along the lines of the Oldies but Goldies - effectively working to Goodwood St Mary's Trophy regs.

The Grand Touring Greats is for sub 1500cc 'period modified' GTs - along the lines of 2010's Fordwater Trophy. It includes the A-series Challenge for anything with an A-series engine - all cars to run on Dunlop L section tyres. Not sure if this is restricted to periods E and F (ie pre 66) or also goes to the end of the 60s.

The June race at MG Live will be a consolidated grid form both categories, which should be fun....
Old 12 Jan 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2814661)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
OBG is one

GT greats is pre '66 under 1500cc

Aimed at SPridget based, little Alfas and a host of Curiosities, Tornado Talisman being one, and of course Elites, GInetta G4's ( in FiA trim)

Last edited by zefarelly; 12 Jan 2011 at 13:17.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2814785)   #6
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
OBG is one

GT greats is pre '66 under 1500cc

Aimed at SPridget based, little Alfas and a host of Curiosities, Tornado Talisman being one, and of course Elites, GInetta G4's ( in FiA trim)
G4's not in FIA trim because of course one assumes 1500 pre cross flow Ford will be eligible.
Certainly were in the old HSCC PHRS races
Old 12 Jan 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2814799)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
1500's are not eligible, 997 homologated only for G4 ( HRS let 1500's run, and they're pretty quick )

basically JT wants to keep it homologated, or 1340 or less. to try and level it off. There aren't any GT's homologated with 1500's (that I know of) so its 997, 1200 and 1340's thay're actually pretty efficient engines so should be a match for an A series
Old 13 Jan 2011, 07:27 (Ref:2815103)   #8
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could you run a frogeye sprite with a 1275 engine?
Old 13 Jan 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2815104)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They weren't homologated with that engine were they?
Old 13 Jan 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2815126)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think Theres a set of club regs for A series up to 1380, so a 1275 frogeye yes. From my discussion with Julius the 1340 FOrd engine is welcome in say a Rochdale, but he doesn't wan't 1500's and up, which I understand, a 1500 G4 would wipe the board, likewise a 1650 Turner would be too quick.

JT tried the smaller capacity thing a few years back with Top Hat and it didn't get much support, most people where leaning toward V8's not 1300's, so I think this is a welcome move, to a potential gap in the market, it also will appeal to the likes of the ealier period cars, specials, pretty little Alfas which are largely 1300's,

Basically there'll be A series challenge, APp K and, My interpretation, a sensibly prepared club spec acceptability for non homologated cars like for example the Cannon GT and Rochdale Olympic.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2815128)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
All the races look to be with the MG Car Club for 2011 so if you look at their calendar you'll find out where these races will be.

They'll be on the Silverstone GP circuit in June.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2815136)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Brands 9th APril

Silverstone, THruxton and Snetterton, I don't have all the dates to hand. oops, you did it!
Old 13 Jan 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2815137)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Its on the calendar.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2815157)   #14
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frog only homologated with 998 which is why there thin on the ground however the Goodwood Sprites, many of which are based on Frogeyes but built as Sebrings seem to use whatever size engine the owner chooses. Most obviously go for the 1275 and over bore to anything between 1293 and 1380 or maybe even 1460. Is there somewhere where you can get the a series challenge rules? Thanks James
Old 13 Jan 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2815158)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Try direct@juliusthurgood.co.uk
Old 13 Jan 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2815229)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
you say he is running with the MG club but I thought the opening was aat the Donington meeting with Carol's 1000km race etc....
Old 13 Jan 2011, 14:01 (Ref:2815257)   #17
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Touring Greats will also include "XKteers", 2 classes of XK Jaguars; FIA spec, and those modified to XK150S spec which may run on Vredestein tyres.

First races for all are indeed Brands Indy on 9th. Looking forward to it!

Iain, will you be there with the Wessie?
Old 13 Jan 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2815272)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Simon. If you look at the MGCC calendar you'll find his races on four of their events. April May June and August I think.

Wasn't it the Group 2 series that was kicking off at Donington?
Old 13 Jan 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2815275)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
very possibly - I am getting lost with all these new series and given I have nothing eligibleforany of them I should probably just mind my own business!!!
Old 13 Jan 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2815276)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Won't the Turner fit?
Old 13 Jan 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2815278)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

the 1220 would fit well - its not mine! I sold my share in both of them last year, I only have the Merlyn race ready.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2815281)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oops.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2815559)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
The Turner would have been a perfect steed for GT greats SImon, better find another one!

I think there's a fairly broadly accepted non homologated spec for A series cars and their engines, and I've spoken to Julius re Ford engined steeds, there are a few and we've agreed a spec which should produce comparable power to the 1300 A series, with many of the cars which ran 1300's being 6-650 KG, and the smaller Fords @997-1100 being a good 100 Kg lighter it certainly reads as if a close series should emerge.