Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Jan 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3361258)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
United SportsCar Championship media coverage

So, here's what ESPN and AP have to say about the GTLM results at the Daytona 24h:

Quote:
Porsche North America claimed the GT Le Mans class with its No. 911 RSR entry.
This is what MRN says:

Quote:
Porsche won its 76th class victory in the Rolex 24 with Nick Tandy, Richard Lietz and Patrick Pilet piloting a Porsche 911 RSR to the win in the GT Le Mans class to finish sixth overall.

“We ran flat out the entire race," Pilet said. "We have to congratulate the entire team, without the problems with Corvette and Viper, we might not have had a shot, so we didn’t give up. But that’s what so great to race in the US, you never know what is going to happen, it is open right up until the very end. We made some fixes after the last test, just in time for this race, and we made it. We got the win.”
John Dagys's articles at the motorsports section on Fox Sports are much longer. But then you have to find them.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3361265)   #2
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the article on Imsa.com says Porsche won in a ten minute shoot out to the checker. But totally fails to mention that porshe pretty much dominated after the half way point.http://www.imsa.com/articles/porsche...-sprint-finish
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:20 (Ref:3361401)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Race finishes seem more importan to them than the race progression.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3361564)   #4
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Problem with covering a 24-hour race is that there is 24 hours worth of stuff going on. Another problem is coming up with a headline which readers will find attractive.

"No Surprise at Daytona as Porsche Cruises to Easy Victory" is likely to get lost in the waste-pool of modern screaming media. "Race to the Wire," "Mad Dash to Victory" are more likely to cut through.

This Really hurts the sport, because it feeds NASCAR's insistence that fans only car about he final five minutes (or less) but it is actually an attempt top int3erest non-fans---and of course NASCAR wants those non-fans.

Also, all reporters are fighting two phenomena: One, the shrinking news hole, and two, the trend for people to read only short articles or the beginning of long articles.

Editors might prefer 200-350 words to 650 or 1350---and how much can a reporter say about a 24-hour race, 3ven a 2:45 race, in 200 words? Basically, who won, not how.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3361583)   #5
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Problem with covering a 24-hour race is that there is 24 hours worth of stuff going on. Another problem is coming up with a headline which readers will find attractive.

"No Surprise at Daytona as Porsche Cruises to Easy Victory" is likely to get lost in the waste-pool of modern screaming media. "Race to the Wire," "Mad Dash to Victory" are more likely to cut through.
Yup.....it's one big 'propaganda' machine geared toward drawing in the coveted 'casual fan'....
Old 29 Jan 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3361634)   #6
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz22 View Post
Yup.....it's one big 'propaganda' machine geared toward drawing in the coveted 'casual fan'....

The trouble is that target audience doesn't give a sh** and won't even see the headline, much less spend airfare, hotel, car rental, ticket because of it, or put up with the commercials or take the trouble to fight their way into a streaming platform to hear useless commentary. Grand AM already tried this - it flopped totally.
They would do much better pleasing the existing fans and having them proselytize. Nowadays with social media word of mouth is more powerful than ever.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3361641)   #7
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
The trouble is that target audience doesn't give a sh** and won't even see the headline, much less spend airfare, hotel, car rental, ticket because of it, or put up with the commercials or take the trouble to fight their way into a streaming platform to hear useless commentary. Grand AM already tried this - it flopped totally.
They would do much better pleasing the existing fans and having them proselytize. Nowadays with social media word of mouth is more powerful than ever.
Agree 100%....however those nimrods that run the show are doomed to repeat their past failures/mistakes....it's in their DNA....as such your excellent suggestion would not even be pondered. (sigh)
Old 29 Jan 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3361680)   #8
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WSJ did this in the days before the race.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...098958034.html

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:02 (Ref:3361741)   #9
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All of which puts Nascar, the Fox network, Porsche, BMW, Corvette, Aston Martin, SRT Viper, Mazda, Ford, Nissan, Chevrolet and other big hitters together in a new partnership. And if that doesn't succeed in luring some glamour back to sports car racing in America, nothing will.

Even the best recipe with the most impressive list of ingredients can be prepared badly.

The racing kicks off at 2 p.m. Saturday at Daytona. The question of who will win might not be as important as whether Americans will care.

The news here is, almost all the people who already cared, care less now.

I would figure it would take five years to build up a solid New fan base … but if TUSC can’t even keep the die-hards past the first two races ….

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...098958034.html
Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3361764)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is tragic.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3362907)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Here's Scott Atherton's interview by Leo Parente on media.

I loved how Parente's said his fears on "a path that isn't unifying" and his laconic "yes" to Atherton's comment that improving broadcasts is "way beyond pronouncing driver's name correctly".
Old 1 Feb 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3363023)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
And the Daytona ratings are...

FS2 - Sat 25, 1:30-2:00 - 0.1 / 91 k
Fox, Sat 25, 2:00-4:00 - 0.5 / 791 k
FS2 - Sat 25, 4:00-9:00 - 0.1 / 130 k
FS1 - Sun 26, 7:00-2:40 - 0.2 / 383 k

The ratings on Fox were below USA Sevens Rugby and Skiing U.S. Grand Prix.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3363033)   #13
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

Why bother with a "sport" thats happy being second rate.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 22:56 (Ref:3363052)   #14
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure there were way more people watching the race via being there in person and internet streams.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3363055)   #15
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTLM coverage needs to get better for sure. Hopefully the next few races will be better. Sebring has a great history with this class, while Long Beach and Laguna Seca won't have any LMPC/GTD cars to worry about.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3363273)   #16
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

And barely anyone watched the skiing..

One pattern does emerge here.. not many people are watching FS2. It's sort of an overflow channel for FS1. Many are probably watching FS1 by default, whatever is on it.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3363276)   #17
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
And barely anyone watched the skiing..

One pattern does emerge here.. not many people are watching FS2. It's sort of an overflow channel for FS1. Many are probably watching FS1 by default, whatever is on it.
A lot of people get FS1 but not FS2 and some get neither.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3363282)   #18
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
A lot of people get FS1 but not FS2 and some get neither.
My parents get both, but our cable package (we live in the same town with the same provider) only nets us FS1

Last edited by Scooter185; 2 Feb 2014 at 16:26. Reason: Autocorrect fail
Old 2 Feb 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3363315)   #19
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup we don't get fs2 on comcast in my town but the city down the road has fs2 on comcast.

I wonder what was the number of people watching legal/no legal streams? That's what I was watching during the fs2 hours and there were quite a few people too.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3363430)   #20
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Yup we don't get fs2 on comcast in my town but the city down the road has fs2 on comcast.

I wonder what was the number of people watching legal/no legal streams? That's what I was watching during the fs2 hours and there were quite a few people too.
The trick was to get the Brit's stream and skip the commercials
Old 2 Feb 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3363437)   #21
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I was watching a Motors stream there seemed to be commercial breaks at the same time, at least for the duration that I followed it. Certainly for later the trick was to watch the IMSA stream which did not actually cease once Fox resumed broadcasting, but I don't know whether it aired earlier.

My folks get Speed still here in Canada (which showed all of the FS1 + FS2 coverage) so my dad and I made an attempt to watch the race from the start. I lasted a mere hour, the commercial breaks were intolerable. Despite having access to the television I chose to watch an illegal stream on my computer because it was easier to manage side by side with the work I wanted to do instead of watching commercials. How daft is that?

My takehomes were these: Number one was the number of commercials made the TV package unwatchable, no matter whether it was accessible or not. No flow to the race. It's easy to say that this is the nature of commercials and we're spoiled by webstreams, but I don't find it substantially harder to get the flow of a GP when watching our BBC coverage + commercials with picture in picture on the terrestrial telly at my folks' or via Sky obtained by other means via the comp. Commercials don't have to ruin a broadcast by default. Takehome two was that MRN ruined the overnight hours. The combination of RLM in the headphones, Rooftop Ray on the camera and RLM in Rooftop Ray's headphones made for the most economically spot-on endurance coverage you could imagine. If the powers that be don't understand this is the one and only thing that draws overnight webstream viewers who are uniformly anoraks, I can't possibly unbury their head from where it's presently stuffed and neither can you...
Old 3 Feb 2014, 16:31 (Ref:3363666)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
The Rolex 24 was one of the best rated FS2 events, I think. UFC preliminar matches get a little more viewers, but still 0.1 ratings.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3376115)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
http://racer.com/index.php/imsa/item...ision-schedule

Detroit, Indianapolis and Road America will be shown delayed on Fox Sports 1. Austin and Petit Le Mans will be shown on Fox Sports 2. The rest of the races starting with Long Beach will be shown live on Fox Sports 1.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 13:29 (Ref:3376126)   #24
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The package that Fox Sports has for USCC is just baffling to me. They make a point of continued support for the series, then put together a whack TV package, which in my opinion at some point will culminate with all of it being shifted to FS2 because of 'poor ratings' - a self fulfilling prohency.

More importantly, it doesn't appear that there's a legitimate way for me to watch the full Sebring 12 Hours in the UK.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3376139)   #25
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
you can either watch 9.5 hours on MotorsTV or 9 hours via a stream, apparently - the UK has maybe the best coverage in the world for Sebring as I understand it!