Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2017, 22:54 (Ref:3727656)   #26
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A minimum of another 33 GPs? I suspect he won't have that opportunity.....
Um no...

I still do not get the reason for Ferrari keeping him. He is not the driver he was. It must be just having a name driver as no.2 and not ruffle Seb.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 08:00 (Ref:3727692)   #27
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I still do not get the reason for Ferrari keeping him.
You're not alone there. I think the only reason KR is still there is because Ferrari was unable to get any of the drivers they really wanted for 2017. Of which, I believe a top contender for the Ferrari seat was Sergio. And Sergio's contract with FI ends this year. Hmmm...
Old 20 Apr 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3727941)   #28
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari should dump Raikkonen with immediate effect and put Romain Grosjean in the car.OK, he suffered from bouts of brain fade in his early years but he's matured immensely since then.

Most importantly, he's always been seriously quick, and is potentially at his prime right now. The guy is underrated and deserves his chance with a top flight team. I'm convinced he has the speed, and the desire, to rival Vettel.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3727955)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Ferrari should dump Raikkonen with immediate effect and put Romain Grosjean in the car.OK, he suffered from bouts of brain fade in his early years but he's matured immensely since then.

Most importantly, he's always been seriously quick, and is potentially at his prime right now. The guy is underrated and deserves his chance with a top flight team. I'm convinced he has the speed, and the desire, to rival Vettel.
I am sure that RoGro would love to challenge Vettel.
The point of Kimi is that he is still quick, apparently has stellar feed back to the engineers, a similar style to Vettel, and actually gets on with and supports Vettel. So by all accounts he is a pretty damn good fit at Ferrari.

He hasn't matched Seb in equal machinery this year, but Lewis and Bottas have not matched him with better machinery either. .......
Old 20 Apr 2017, 13:39 (Ref:3727968)   #30
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I realise I said this last year, but this is surely Räikkönen's last year in F1 (or at least his last year at Ferrari). There are several better options available for 2018.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3727980)   #31
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
imo if he finishes the year top 5 in the standings i dont see why they have any incentive to replace one of their own.

if Vettee wins the WDC this year then that might make their decision easier but Kimi is a Ferrari champion and while there are no doubt others that could replace him the Tifosi love Kimi. there is a value to Kimi at Ferrari beyond the usual metrics.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3728004)   #32
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post

He's still very inconsistent though.
He was nowhere in China.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 07:53 (Ref:3728121)   #33
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
imo if he finishes the year top 5 in the standings i dont see why they have any incentive to replace one of their own.

if Vettee wins the WDC this year then that might make their decision easier but Kimi is a Ferrari champion and while there are no doubt others that could replace him the Tifosi love Kimi. there is a value to Kimi at Ferrari beyond the usual metrics.
If Vettee wins the WDC and Ferrari don't win the WCC, that's purely down to lack of performance from Kimi. That is a problem IMO.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3728127)   #34
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
there is a value to Kimi at Ferrari beyond the usual metrics.
Indeed. He brings (ironically, considering his approach) a great PR and brand value. He brings home solid points.

But gosh, he's like the underperformer in the office that's been there so long that the boss can't afford to pay redundancy to.

I was a huge Kimi fan in 2001-2007. But that was 10 years ago. I honestly think he was flattered by the Lotus-Renault. Grosjean, who was a far less complete driver than he is now, was often quicker. I feel that if Kubica hadn't been injured, that car would've been a championship challenger.

Now, when I watch Lewis, Daniel or Max behind a slower car , you know the pass will happen in a few laps. When it's Kimi, you can go to the loo, make a cuppa and come back and know he'll still be behind.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3728139)   #35
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed.

If Klml can't cruise by, using DRS on the straight, then he'll seldom overtake anyone.His starts are woeful, he looses way too much time over the first few laps and displays a singular lack of aggression. He appears to have settled for 3rd or 4th place even before the race starts. I think any reasonable driver in this years Ferrari could do that.......and for less money.

Sure he's something of a character, but I'd like to see a real charger in the 2nd car keeping Vettel honest. Right now, Kimi doesn't deserve the 2nd Ferrari seat.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 01:40 (Ref:3728285)   #36
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Negativity.......can't we all just get along and think positive about Kimi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 Apr 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3728349)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Negativity.......can't we all just get along and think positive about Kimi?

Yes everyone will when the performance comes. At the moment either the team isn't giving him what he needs (as he has suggested by in race difficulties over the radio) or he is not extracting the most out of what he has which is difficult to ignore when it has won 2 out of 3 races.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3728377)   #38
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Problem for KR is the 2017 Ferrari was built around SV, who likes the car with more bias towards rear end grip. And KR likes a car with more front end grip.

And as we all know, when KR is not happy with the car he just doesn't... care. He'll grumble and swear on the radio about how bad the car is. Then miraculously, get his act together when contract negotiations are underway. Then he doesn't care anymore. Repeat.

Not really sure how KR has any fans. At Melbourne for example, the drivers have to walk through what is known as The Fan Zone, where everyone (drivers, ex-drivers, team principles, etc. etc) stop for photos and signatures with the fans. Kimi doesn't. He ignores them. And even ran through it last year. On the one occasion where he did stop, the team took photos while he signed something for a fan. As soon as the photos were taken, he walked past all the other fans and didn't stop again. Way to go Kimi.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 19:38 (Ref:3728443)   #39
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi waved to me at Indy.

Old 22 Apr 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3728449)   #40
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Kimi waved to me at Indy.

How many fingers?
Old 22 Apr 2017, 21:27 (Ref:3728452)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Applaud people for giving something to the fans, like Hamilton throwing the caps to the fans in China, but there is no need to vilify someone who doesn't. It's like giving to charity, great if you do, but you are not evil if you don't. If you do put down those who don't you diminish those that do as it then becomes a must rather than a special extra effort.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3728455)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Not really sure how KR has any fans. At Melbourne for example, the drivers have to walk through what is known as The Fan Zone, where everyone (drivers, ex-drivers, team principles, etc. etc) stop for photos and signatures with the fans. Kimi doesn't. He ignores them. And even ran through it last year. On the one occasion where he did stop, the team took photos while he signed something for a fan. As soon as the photos were taken, he walked past all the other fans and didn't stop again. Way to go Kimi.
I think that approach is part of the reason he does have so many fans. He's not interested in doing things to please people, he does what pleases him and some fans like that.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3728602)   #43
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Applaud people for giving something to the fans, like Hamilton throwing the caps to the fans in China, but there is no need to vilify someone who doesn't. It's like giving to charity, great if you do, but you are not evil if you don't. If you do put down those who don't you diminish those that do as it then becomes a must rather than a special extra effort.
The fans ultimately pay their salary. Without fans no sponsors, no money, no race. If you do not want to care about fans, do not make it your profession to go pro sports. Lewis understood this best among the current crop of drivers.

That said, I have no clue about Kimi's fan interaction.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3728626)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
F1 drivers these days at least seem to be more aware of what the fans want from them. Lewis, Seb, Felipe and the Honey Badger seem to be the best at it, which is good
Old 23 Apr 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3728629)   #45
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
The fans ultimately pay their salary. Without fans no sponsors, no money, no race. If you do not want to care about fans, do not make it your profession to go pro sports. Lewis understood this best among the current crop of drivers.

That said, I have no clue about Kimi's fan interaction.
What if you just want to drive? Given Kimi went off and drove Rally and Trucks, I don't think he does it because he wants to be a pro sportsman - he just wants to drive cars.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3728650)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
What if you just want to drive? Given Kimi went off and drove Rally and Trucks, I don't think he does it because he wants to be a pro sportsman - he just wants to drive cars.

Yes, and remember when he took part in a powerboat race in a gorilla suit? Or when he entered a ski race under the pseudonym James Hunt? He obviously has a lot of fun in his life and good for him. Happy go lucky is the way
Old 24 Apr 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3728890)   #47
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
In that case you need to be much much better than the other ones. Kimi once was in the absolute top group and I like him a lot. But that time is gone.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3728893)   #48
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
In that case you need to be much much better than the other ones. Kimi once was in the absolute top group and I like him a lot. But that time is gone.
Why does he need to be better? If all he wants to do is drive, and Ferrari are willing to keep paying him to drive, and aren't fussed about fan interaction, I don't see what the problem is.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3728899)   #49
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Because if Ferrari want to win the WCC, the least they need is a driver who will finish second to Vettel, or win if Vettel breaks down. Kimi isn't that man any more, on the evidence of the first three races.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3728925)   #50
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah I know, I made that same point a page back - that you could end up with Vettee winning the WDC and Ferrari losing but WCC.

However Kempi criticised Kimi for his fan interaction rather than driving ability, and that's what I'm quoting there. I don't think there's an issue with that. Kimi just wants to drive cars and if Ferrari are happy to keep letting him drive cars with minimum fan interaction then I don't think there's an issue on that side.