Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 27 Jan 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3017764)   #51
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
It would be interesting to hear if any of you GPL guys have tried the F1 1971 for Rfactor and what you think? I'm a big GPL fan but I'm enjoying the F1 1971 mod. The cars are still very skittish but you can feel some of the aero effects which means its a different kind of challenge.

The 70s F5000 mod has quite an 'accurate' feel too - I think its put together by the same team.

I've tried both - and you'll know what I think, so I won't even bother to say it.....

I'm still driving round and round Bremgarten - for me, one of the toughest circuits to go negative on in GPL. I never managed it in my 'prime', but since going back I'm within 3/100ths. When I do it, I'm sure I'll do it by several tenths. I know from my best split times that it's well within my grasp, but doing the perfect lap is so hard. How the aliens managed 2.02 or even 2.01 laps is completely beyond me. (Bench mark is a low 2.07!).

It's slightly sad to see that of my old 'buddies' on GPL Rank, no-one has uploaded any times for about 6-7 years other than me.....
Old 28 Jan 2012, 01:47 (Ref:3018017)   #52
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phew! Managed a 1.26.606.

Feeling good!

Next, the BRM.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3018152)   #53
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suddenly had a thought last night and decided to have a look on this new-fangled YouTube thingamijig to see if there were any of the old GPL videos on there.

First hit was one of my favourites:

Push The Limits

There are a couple of sim racing 'celebrities' in the credits too.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3018930)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember watching that when it was first released. Amazing stuff.......
Old 1 Feb 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3019828)   #55
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I finally tamed Bremgarten. What initially seemed impossible became much easier in the end - 2.06.81, nearly half a second inside (I even beat Pirenzo's old best!) and Pribluda was telling me that a very low 6 was on the cards. Now I just need Solitude to be all-green in ChallengeRank.

I post this for my own interest really, as so few Tenthers now drive GPL....
Old 1 Feb 2012, 17:04 (Ref:3019885)   #56
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I post this for my own interest really, as so few Tenthers now drive GPL....
I will get around to reinstalling it, honest guv!

I'm not done with GPL, but it's finding the time. I need to dig out all the updated graphics. Anyone know where they can be downloaded in one package?
Old 1 Feb 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3019966)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm not sure about one package - you can certainly get the GPLEA stuff for the cars in one go.

I suggest you start here -

http://gplps.org/wb/pages/projects/gpl-installer.php

then go here -

http://gpllinks.org/

Go to - To Do's if You're New to GPL
Old 13 Aug 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3759181)   #58
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
So, just for fun, I installed GPL again using the all in one installer. I've had a couple of online races and I'm already down to within .8 of my best at Watkins Glen. Yes, it looks dated alongside the modern offerings, but with it set to a high res and all of the eye candy that the all in one installer provides, I'm loving it again and it still knocks the socks off of anything I've tried since. Such a challenge. I know there will be plenty of harrumphing from certain quarters, but does anyone else dip their toe in now and again?
Old 13 Aug 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3759205)   #59
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So, just for fun, I installed GPL again using the all in one installer. I've had a couple of online races and I'm already down to within .8 of my best at Watkins Glen. Yes, it looks dated alongside the modern offerings, but with it set to a high res and all of the eye candy that the all in one installer provides, I'm loving it again and it still knocks the socks off of anything I've tried since. Such a challenge. I know there will be plenty of harrumphing from certain quarters, but does anyone else dip their toe in now and again?
I tried it a couple of years ago and it was awesome, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. And then I tried Assetto Corsa....and enjoyed it even less. I guess Sim Racing just doesn't suit me as well now. But whilst I was experimenting to find out if it was still the hobby for me or not, GPL Was certainly still more satisfying than most games.

Assetto Corsa provided me with some very satisfying online races on RaceDepartment. But when the racing wasn't super close and fun, I didn't enjoy it. GPL was able to keep me entertained just hot lapping. Somehow it has the 'magic' that other, technically better, games miss.

So I may not play it anymore (does that count as harrumphing?), but it still stood up against modern games when I did try it. The only thing that got close to it was Assetto Corsa.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3759208)   #60
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think that's one specific thing that GPL has that other sims don't, it's an addictive challenge - even hot lapping because there's the challenge of going a few hundredths quicker......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19 Aug 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3760408)   #61
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think that's one specific thing that GPL has that other sims don't, it's an addictive challenge - even hot lapping because there's the challenge of going a few hundredths quicker......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(Late reply), but why is it that GPL Rank was so massively satisfying, yet the rank versions of other games is not? Assetto Corsa even has a game mode dedicated to a rank style hot lap (and even uses the GPL Rank Monza benchmark as a nod to its origin), but yet it isn't as satisfying.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3760418)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It is strange that. I've been hotlapping at the Glen today - must have done about 60 laps, but still haven't beaten my 2004 best! Mind you, I did beat my best Lotus time at the Glen yesterday, again 13 years after I'd set the previous time. It's been the most satisfying sim experience I've had for..... 13 years!
Old 20 Aug 2017, 23:46 (Ref:3760633)   #63
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
(Late reply), but why is it that GPL Rank was so massively satisfying, yet the rank versions of other games is not? Assetto Corsa even has a game mode dedicated to a rank style hot lap (and even uses the GPL Rank Monza benchmark as a nod to its origin), but yet it isn't as satisfying.
Even iRacing has now jumped on board with a globalised hot lapping system (Time Attack) but nothing beats GPLRank.

For me, it was a two pronged attack - 1) beat the benchmark time and get that negative GPL rank time. 2) see how you compare to others around the world especially if friends were also on there. I was never going to be near the top but felt good when I once made the top 100 in Australia
Old 25 Aug 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3761563)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep. I did finally set an overall new best in the Lotus at the Glen. Way off the 'aliens', but really pleasing to do it as I never thought I'd get near my 13-14 year old times again - and still using the same wheel and pedals!
Old 28 Aug 2017, 01:09 (Ref:3762194)   #65
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re-installed GPL again (with the latest all in one installer) and worked a treat out of the box in Win10. Except for the steering - pedantic I know but I don't want to change from 900 deg but in GPL the cars have too little movement (understeer basically) and too heavy steering with a G27. Can I change the steering lock in the sim to correct this or should I just suck it up and change the wheel in Profiler to go 540 deg.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 11:11 (Ref:3762305)   #66
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not sure about that. With my venerable Momo Force i don't seem to get that many options. I constantly get the pedals combining but if I unplug the wheel (and thereby the pedals) in the calibration screen, they separate again.....