Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 28 Jan 2022, 10:30 (Ref:4095654)   #251
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Got Maurice Hamilton's biography of Murray Walker for xmas. Have to say it's an excellent read, focused a lot on the memorable events Murray commentated on, like Australia 86, Japan 89/90 or the tragic Imola 94. His commentary from those events is remembered in great deal

I also have Murray's autobiography from 2002 and this latest biography is a nice extension of that IMO
I finally got around to reading Richard Williams' account of Dick Seaman's life, bought upon your recommendation. You were right - it is an excellent read. Someone I really knew little about prior to reading the book, but I do now!

I've had a bit of a surfeit of that era, as prior to the Seaman book, I read Joe Saward's 'Grand Prix Saboteurs'. That is a real mix of pre-war racing, concentrating as it does on the life & careers of Willy Grover & Robert Benoist, who started out as racing rivals but ended up as good friends, both eventually enlisting in the SOE during WW2 & carrying-out undercover operations, primarily in Paris. The book has been the subject of a lot of research as you would expect from Joe Seward & comes highly recommended.

I've had a lot of time for reading lately & have also just read Roger Nathan's story about his racing career in the 1960's entitled 'An Adventurous Life'. Again a fascinating story of how he built his own cars, the Costin-Nathan & Astra RNR etc.

Now I am just starting on his second book, covering his second career as an aviator. He describes it as "...being like an Indiana Jones novel, except it is all true!
Old 3 Apr 2022, 21:37 (Ref:4105264)   #252
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed Kings by John Smailes, Australia and New Zealand’s quest to win the Indy 500.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 06:51 (Ref:4116006)   #253
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I got a nice book in Le Mans this year - effectively a belated birthday present from my wife. 'Un Siecle D'Affiches', containing all of the Le Mans posters from 1923 to 2022. Text in French and English. Right up my street! The perfect Le Mans coffee table book!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1366.JPG   IMG_1367.JPG   IMG_1368.JPG  

Old 17 Jun 2022, 07:49 (Ref:4116020)   #254
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I recently was given Jackie Stewart's autobiography 'Winning is not enough' which belonged to my Uncle. I had read good reviews of the book when it came, plus read extracts that were printed in Autosport and F1 Racing, so I looked forward to reading this book and I wasn't disappointed

I always have had a lot of respect for JYS and this book confirms that respect wasn't misplaced. Considering everything he's gone through in his life, it's amazing what he has achieved and he's done it with dignity too. Once I started this book, I just wanted to keep reading more and finished it coincidentally on Saturday, the same day as his 83rd birthday. The only problem, as he acknowledges, was there wasn't room for more. Also it came with a DVD about the various chapters in the book

I've had a busy year so far with quite a few books about people's life that I got for birthday/xmas. I have mentioned Murray Walker's and Adrian Newey's book. I also had David Jason's book 'Del of a life' and Billy Connolly's autobiography to read. Now I have read them all, I have now finally gone back to reading the original James Bond novels by Ian Fleming I bought last year. Currently on Goldfinger
Old 17 Jun 2022, 16:26 (Ref:4116122)   #255
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I recently was given Jackie Stewart's autobiography 'Winning is not enough' which belonged to my Uncle. I had read good reviews of the book when it came, plus read extracts that were printed in Autosport and F1 Racing, so I looked forward to reading this book and I wasn't disappointed

I always have had a lot of respect for JYS and this book confirms that respect wasn't misplaced. Considering everything he's gone through in his life, it's amazing what he has achieved and he's done it with dignity too. Once I started this book, I just wanted to keep reading more and finished it coincidentally on Saturday, the same day as his 83rd birthday. The only problem, as he acknowledges, was there wasn't room for more. Also it came with a DVD about the various chapters in the book

I've had a busy year so far with quite a few books about people's life that I got for birthday/xmas. I have mentioned Murray Walker's and Adrian Newey's book. I also had David Jason's book 'Del of a life' and Billy Connolly's autobiography to read. Now I have read them all, I have now finally gone back to reading the original James Bond novels by Ian Fleming I bought last year. Currently on Goldfinger
You're right - JYS's book is indeed an excellent read. I was given it for Christmas shortly after it was published. I had read more than half of it by Boxing Day! Ironically, left to my own devices I probably would never have bought it.

Funnily enough, it only came to my mind the other day, for some reason I forget, and I probably will read it again another. Another that falls into that category is Tom Rubython's Ayrton Senna biography. I knew Ayrton during his early days but lost track as he progressed up the ladder. However, a good friend of mine was very close to him throughout his career & confirms that aside from a couple of minor matters it is a very accurate description of his career. I shall read it again one day.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 19:31 (Ref:4116144)   #256
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Another that falls into that category is Tom Rubython's Ayrton Senna biography. I knew Ayrton during his early days but lost track as he progressed up the ladder. However, a good friend of mine was very close to him throughout his career & confirms that aside from a couple of minor matters it is a very accurate description of his career. I shall read it again one day.
That's interesting. I have the book as I'm a bit of a Senna completist when it comes to books, but I confess I've never got around to reading it. I seem to recall that it got a bit of a panning when it came out?
Old 18 Jun 2022, 08:47 (Ref:4116205)   #257
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That's interesting. I have the book as I'm a bit of a Senna completist when it comes to books, but I confess I've never got around to reading it. I seem to recall that it got a bit of a panning when it came out?
I found it to be an extremely good read. I too noted some adverse comments, which I think were directed at the author as much as anything. As I said I spoke to a friend who probably knew Ayrton better, and for longer, than anyone else & his comment was that there were one or two minor points he would query but overall he considered it to be a very fair account.

Read it - hopefully you will enjoy it!
Old 18 Jun 2022, 11:58 (Ref:4116214)   #258
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I really must! Thanks
Old 19 Jun 2022, 10:37 (Ref:4116307)   #259
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I got a nice book in Le Mans this year - effectively a belated birthday present from my wife. 'Un Siecle D'Affiches', containing all of the Le Mans posters from 1923 to 2022. Text in French and English. Right up my street! The perfect Le Mans coffee table book!
Oh, that looks gorgeous!
Old 23 Jun 2022, 07:14 (Ref:4116693)   #260
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I found it to be an extremely good read. I too noted some adverse comments, which I think were directed at the author as much as anything. As I said I spoke to a friend who probably knew Ayrton better, and for longer, than anyone else & his comment was that there were one or two minor points he would query but overall he considered it to be a very fair account.

Read it - hopefully you will enjoy it!
Nice to hear it from the horse's mouth. Of course Rubython's not the easiest person to like. He has a tendency to let his own opinion get in the way of what would otherwise be an excellent read, as I found out with biography of James Hunt, but you have to give him credit for the amount of research he puts into these books. And if someone who knew Senna can say it's an accurate description of Senna, there's no higher praise than that
Old 23 Jun 2022, 16:49 (Ref:4116728)   #261
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Oh, that looks gorgeous!
It really is!
Old 17 Jul 2022, 03:56 (Ref:4119697)   #262
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mount Panorama by John Smailes.

A great read, covers both bike and car racing at Bathurst, history behind the track and some of the characters that have raced at the mountain.
Old 18 Jul 2022, 12:36 (Ref:4119802)   #263
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Mount Panorama by John Smailes.

A great read, covers both bike and car racing at Bathurst, history behind the track and some of the characters that have raced at the mountain.
Sounds good. A reasonable price too (and in stock at Booktopia)
Old 9 Aug 2022, 11:04 (Ref:4122302)   #264
Broadclystboy
Rookie

Broadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBroadclystboy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For all you Ford GT40 aficionados out there, two recent books well work considering:-

Ford GT40 Anthology (John Allen and Graham Endeacott - Veloce). Not a traditional history but highly interesting articles on the car's background. Worth the price of admission for photos of the Alan Mann testing at Goodwood in December 1965, as well as chassis 1013 being driven in the London rush hour...

Also Lola GT (John Starkey - Veloce again). A rather slim volume but everything you want to know - and more - of the GT40 inspiration
Old 23 Oct 2022, 03:06 (Ref:4131146)   #265
Kingair
Veteran

A Race With Love And Death, the story of Britain’s first great Grand Prix driver, Richard Seamen.

A very interesting read, in the lead up to WW2 with fast cars, drivers, politics, Hitlers involvement with funding for Mercedes and Auto Union.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 06:50 (Ref:4131254)   #266
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A Race With Love And Death, the story of Britain’s first great Grand Prix driver, Richard Seamen.

A very interesting read, in the lead up to WW2 with fast cars, drivers, politics, Hitlers involvement with funding for Mercedes and Auto Union.
I'd second that, a very interesting read, especially regarding the politics. On fascinating thing (for me) was that Listerine was around so long ago, I thought mouthwash was a modern invention!
Old 24 Oct 2022, 08:23 (Ref:4131266)   #267
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'd second that, a very interesting read, especially regarding the politics. On fascinating thing (for me) was that Listerine was around so long ago, I thought mouthwash was a modern invention!
Yes, it is a good read.

I am now reading Cedric Selzer's self-produced book 'Winning the World Championship with Jim Clark'. Although not a professional writer - he wrote it to raise funds for Marie Curie \\\cancer Care -it is a fascinating insight into the early days of Lotus in F1 up until the end of 1964. Thereafter he worked with Paul Hawkins, Ulf Norinder & Roger Nathan.

A fascinating insight into very different times not so long ago
Old 24 Oct 2022, 10:12 (Ref:4131289)   #268
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colin Crabbe Book.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	76359
I finished reading this a few weeks ago. A very well (self) written & entertaining book about a very interesting life with classic cars & motorsport included. Highly recommended.
Old 3 Dec 2022, 07:46 (Ref:4135955)   #269
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
My 'proper' review of Jon Saltinstall's Jacky Ickx book is now on speedreaders.info. but , in short, if you are even vaguely interested in Ickx's career and/or motorsport in the 60s/70s/90s, this book is for you. It is huge - 600 pages and 7lbs - and details every single event its subject contested , from bike trials to Le Mans , and from Grands Prix to Paris- Dakar.
Old 3 Dec 2022, 11:42 (Ref:4135963)   #270
S griffin
Veteran

Ickx certainly has been one of motorsport's greatest all rounders, so his story is book is bound to be interesting
Old 28 Mar 2023, 01:50 (Ref:4149435)   #271
Kingair
Veteran

Longford, The Legend of a little town with a big motor by Neil Kearney.

Lucky to obtain a copy of this book on the second printing.

The little country town on the Apple Island that hosted some of the biggest names in Formula One, to race on the long weekend in March from 1953 up to 1968.

Only into the first chapter, but a great read for those that like motorsport histor.
Old 28 Mar 2023, 14:31 (Ref:4149495)   #272
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Longford, The Legend of a little town with a big motor by Neil Kearney.

Lucky to obtain a copy of this book on the second printing.

The little country town on the Apple Island that hosted some of the biggest names in Formula One, to race on the long weekend in March from 1953 up to 1968.

Only into the first chapter, but a great read for those that like motorsport histor.
In Pit Lane on Ch 31 did an in depth look at it with Neil Kearney in the studio. Seems like a great book. From what they showed it seems like some great pics in it as well.

In Pit Lane clip here discusses it with Kearney from 11 minutes in
https://youtu.be/ittMvvOhMEM
Old 5 Feb 2024, 07:39 (Ref:4195133)   #273
Kingair
Veteran

The Boy Stirling Moss A Life in 60 Laps, written by Richard Williams.

Enjoyable read on Stirling Moss on both his racing and post racing career.
Old 5 Feb 2024, 17:20 (Ref:4195210)   #274
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Read these two interesting books from before Christmas and into the New Year.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benie&MaxBooks.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	865.7 KB
ID:	79200
I read the one about Bernie first, and the one about Max afterwards (which I think was the best way around). Both very interesting & entertaining, great the read Bernie's 'stories' plus very interesting to learn more about Max and see what a very clever man he was.
Old 5 Feb 2024, 17:42 (Ref:4195211)   #275
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Read these two interesting books from before Christmas and into the New Year.
Attachment 79200
I read the one about Bernie first, and the one about Max afterwards (which I think was the best way around). Both very interesting & entertaining, great the read Bernie's 'stories' plus very interesting to learn more about Max and see what a very clever man he was.
Thanks VIVA. Two more for the shopping list - but first I have to get my new glasses!