Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jan 2017, 03:00 (Ref:3703061)   #451
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Six weeks to Adelaide.If Volvo win a court ruling stopping GRM from running Volvos could there be a scenario where GRM are not on the grid because no Plan B is sufficiently advanced?
Old 17 Jan 2017, 03:04 (Ref:3703064)   #452
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Six weeks to Adelaide.If Volvo win a court ruling stopping GRM from running Volvos could there be a scenario where GRM are not on the grid because no Plan B is sufficiently advanced?
No, they have 2 brand new Commodores sitting there waiting.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 05:33 (Ref:3703078)   #453
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the next court date after Clipsal though?
Old 17 Jan 2017, 19:57 (Ref:3703235)   #454
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
Should Volvo Australia tell them to get stuffed as they have said they are in support of GRM
And who do the management of Volvo Australia report to? Anybody not wanting to fall in line with Sweden's directive will be out on their ear.

Let's just hope its all sorted out before Clipsal, last thing anybody wants is for the cars to be stuck in the garage on the Friday while Volvo and GRM fight out an injunction in the Adelaide Supreme Court as happened at the F1 Grand Prix a few years ago between Sauber and one of its drivers.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 05:15 (Ref:3703285)   #455
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Mark Petch but you got this one wrong.

Still, you've got a pretty good strike rate!
Old 18 Jan 2017, 05:24 (Ref:3703287)   #456
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Gaz will run commodores... big shock. Idiotic decision by him to start legal proceedings in the first place, showed a naivety I didn't expect from him. Doubtful he would have ever won, but more pertinent he had a strict deadline - Volvo did not. It was never going to work
Old 18 Jan 2017, 05:26 (Ref:3703288)   #457
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GRM To Run Commodores In 2017
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Jan 2017, 05:38 (Ref:3703290)   #458
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
So Gaz will run commodores... big shock. Idiotic decision by him to start legal proceedings in the first place, showed a naivety I didn't expect from him. Doubtful he would have ever won, but more pertinent he had a strict deadline - Volvo did not. It was never going to work
Unlike many others though, Garry is for the sport. He was trying to keep Manufacturers in the category. The scum in Sweden should be ashamed of themselves. One word, 'Karma'. It will bite Volvo, and when it bites it will bite hard. Wouldn't you want someone to represent the car, or don't they want their waste of car space in public anymore. Another abortion that destroyed Ford and Holden in Australia. To hell with Volvo
Old 18 Jan 2017, 05:38 (Ref:3703291)   #459
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
It doesn't actually say the court case is halted does it?
Old 18 Jan 2017, 06:09 (Ref:3703292)   #460
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A predictable end to a sorry saga. Was pretty obvious from the beginning it was likely to end this way, GRM's case always seemed pretty thin. A safe bet to assume the legal action will be quietly dropped.

Last edited by anthony81901; 18 Jan 2017 at 06:20.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 09:06 (Ref:3703308)   #461
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good and not surprising outcome that GRM would run Holdens, anyone familiar with litigation would understand that it doesn't take much to rack up fees that would pay for one car to be built.
Fines for not appearing also being considered, this move makes sense. One could also suggest that a payment for Volvo to stop the rot against their brand was on offer, as Courts do tend to support the little guy, especially when he has expensive machines he cannot use. Save the legal fees, grab a payout and move on.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3703310)   #462
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A shame to never see or hear those volvos on the grid again, but thankfully now we can all move on. Good to see Garry admit that these commodores he's built have always been his backup plan.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3703313)   #463
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
A shame to never see or hear those volvos on the grid again, but thankfully now we can all move on. Good to see Garry admit that these commodores he's built have always been his backup plan.
Hopefully he gets a new manufacturer and makes Volvo look like absolute idiots
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3703314)   #464
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hopefully he gets a new manufacturer and makes Volvo look like absolute idiots
Or GRM doesn't and Volvo are rightly shown to have followed a contract with class and integrity.

Volvo are doing what they feel is best for their brand, which correct me if I am wrong is their right?

Did David Wall or Jamie Wincup sue GRM when their contract wasn't renewed?

How is this different?
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3703318)   #465
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D.R.T. You are spot on.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3703324)   #466
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr Rogers may have felt aggrieved by certain aspects of Volvo's intent to withdraw, but Volvo were never obligated to do anything beyond what was signed in black and white.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:42 (Ref:3703329)   #467
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Or GRM doesn't and Volvo are rightly shown to have followed a contract with class and integrity.

Volvo are doing what they feel is best for their brand, which correct me if I am wrong is their right?

How is this different?
Fully agree.I would think after the way he has carried on since Volvo's decision he would be nearly the last team on the grid another manufacturer would want to sign up with.In every category manufacturers come and go.Racing is not their core business.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 11:18 (Ref:3703334)   #468
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Any chance we can get the Commodores to look like this...
Old 18 Jan 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3703338)   #469
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Didn't Garry say they were building the DVS cars AND the main game cars?
Old 18 Jan 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3703339)   #470
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
4 chassis in 5 months.

Although I do believe they were well into building a 4th Volvo at one stage, so that may account for one of them.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 14:37 (Ref:3703381)   #471
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Again, just run 180 degree headers on them like Perkins did before becoming Kelly Racing. They'll have pretty much that sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Any chance we can get the Commodores to look like this...
I'm hoping closer to this, to be honest.

That said, will Moff use #33 next year so Tander can use his old number again?
Old 19 Jan 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3703512)   #472
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

How is this different?
This was not dealt with integrity. Volvo made a mess of things, and GRM contributed. All they had to do when they considered this, way back in 2014 was say to GRM, we are considering this. The comment was also from Volvo if I remember correctly that they were withdrawing from all motorsport. That is not true they are still in motorsport internationally. The Volvo's in V8s also outperformed many other Volvo's
Old 19 Jan 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3703513)   #473
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
I also know of people in the V8 business. Many people from a range of teams have all said that they didn't agree with how Volvo dealt with this situation. The whole company named Volvo is a joke. I'd say that if enough manufacturers are available to V8s and Volvo come back like little worms they will get told to screw it. Not publicly but behind closed doors a lot happens that not many people know of.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3703520)   #474
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This was not dealt with integrity. Volvo made a mess of things
What, for announcing they would see out the existing contract but not renew it?

Not sure how that is making a mess of things?

Quote:
I'd say that if enough manufacturers are available to V8s and Volvo come back like little worms they will get told to screw it. Not publicly but behind closed doors a lot happens that not many people know of.
NO series is going to turn it's back on factory involvement no matter what happens in the past.

The whole reaction to Volvo having the gall to withdraw from Supercars racing is ridiculous. Manufacturers come and go from series all the time, this stuff is nothing new
Old 19 Jan 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3703569)   #475
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I also know of people in the V8 business. Many people from a range of teams have all said that they didn't agree with how Volvo dealt with this situation. The whole company named Volvo is a joke. I'd say that if enough manufacturers are available to V8s and Volvo come back like little worms they will get told to screw it. Not publicly but behind closed doors a lot happens that not many people know of.
I am not sure your post understands that Volvo is business and exists to serve its own purpose and objectives, not to please GRM or V8SC.

From what we know - Volvo provided 6 months notice. What would be your suggestion of how Volvo could have exited GRM with a better process?