Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jan 2017, 21:46 (Ref:3703247)   #2126
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to an Autosport piece FIA require all circuits to modify track to accommodate the 2017 cars. Eventually we are going to need binoculars to see the cars.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3703254)   #2127
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
According to an Autosport piece FIA require all circuits to modify track to accommodate the 2017 cars. Eventually we are going to need binoculars to see the cars.
I cant see that happening here at COTA they have built the thing..
Old 18 Jan 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3703311)   #2128
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I cant see that happening here at COTA they have built the thing..
A Texan colleague, while on a business trip to Malaysia was invited to a hospitality suite at the Singapore GP 3 years ago. Totally enthralled by the event he booked tickets for COTA the next year. After that event his enthusiasm was somewhat reduced, no atmosphere, too far from the cars.

He has not been to any race since
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3703325)   #2129
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
A Texan colleague, while on a business trip to Malaysia was invited to a hospitality suite at the Singapore GP 3 years ago. Totally enthralled by the event he booked tickets for COTA the next year. After that event his enthusiasm was somewhat reduced, no atmosphere, too far from the cars.

COTA is your typical modern F1 venue. Barriers miles from the track, acres of tarmac run off, pretty soulless. The layout itself isn't the worst, however its certainly no Zandvoort either.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 12:16 (Ref:3703352)   #2130
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
As long as the don't ruin the layouts of the circuits I can live with it
Old 18 Jan 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3703389)   #2131
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
COTA is your typical modern F1 venue. Barriers miles from the track, acres of tarmac run off, pretty soulless. The layout itself isn't the worst, however its certainly no Zandvoort either.
That's simply not true, if you don't go with the intention of having fun then so be it. How close do you get to the cars at Spa or Silverstone ?
Old 18 Jan 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3703391)   #2132
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:

That's too bad, maybe I am too easily satisfied ? I would attend any of the races given the chance Monaco would be high on my list, from a spectacle point of view more than anything else ..
Years ago I was invited to Long Beach by Emerson Fitappaldi I had a great time meeting and talking with him, but I decided to watch the race from the stands, among the rest of the fans ..
Old 18 Jan 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3703393)   #2133
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I know what I would be inclined to say to the FIA ...
Old 18 Jan 2017, 16:21 (Ref:3703395)   #2134
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
also seating location is a subjective thing.

for me i like sitting higher up on whatever grandstand im on because i prefer the birds eye vantage point more then being lower down and closer to the track. and also dont like sitting along a straight...always found that a bit boring.

that said, i feel like if i got to watch from a hospitality suite or from within a team garage (i wish) i might also be spoiled for future events.

anyways, this new safety request doesn't sound like a big deal. barriers closer to the track along the straights and a request that tracks' extend the run offs at the end of braking zones as far back as space allows.

it doesnt sound like they are asking tracks to move the grandstands and viewing areas further back so from a spectator point of view will much even change?
Old 18 Jan 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3703404)   #2135
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I agree on the seating preference, at Austin I buy GA and sit on the grass at turn two it starts to get nice and twisty there ..
The idea of sitting on the start finish line does not appeal to me personely, as you said it's very subjective..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 18 Jan 2017 at 17:29.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3703455)   #2136
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big screen access certainly helps.
I imaging most of the circuits will just need to add additional protection to current methods, ala Melbourne, no track or trackside modification requiring earthworks.

However, St Devote might have tyre walls right up to the white line now
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:17 (Ref:3703752)   #2137
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Sigh. I just hope it doesn't mean more circuit changes which reduce the challenge of the tracks. We already have more than enough tarmac run off at tracks now, I don't think we need any more.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3703779)   #2138
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness that can mean things like adding techpro (sp?) barriers to places where speed and risk have gone up considerably, it doesn't necessarily mean more tarmac and moving barriers.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3703782)   #2139
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
techpro (sp?)
Tecpro It's actually a brand -

https://www.tecprobarriers.com/#/home

Simple but brilliant solutions. Similar to the staggered tyre barriers at places like VIR
Old 20 Jan 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3703888)   #2140
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can totally imagine the requested changes to be small tweaks such as to curbing or as mentioned above... barrier tweaks.

Richard
Old 20 Jan 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3703908)   #2141
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Two replies, only one is sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
That's simply not true, if you don't go with the intention of having fun then so be it. How close do you get to the cars at Spa or Silverstone ?
You need to stop enjoying things. It's not a way to live your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I can totally imagine the requested changes to be small tweaks such as to curbing or as mentioned above... barrier tweaks.
I suspect you have summarised it well there.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3703909)   #2142
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Okay doctor 😄
Old 25 Jan 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3704963)   #2143
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Drivers are allowed to bang wheels in 2017. Yay!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...-for-2017.html

Wonder how this will impact the current must leave one cars width, no moving under breaks, and all the other rules that make the racing boring.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3705043)   #2144
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At last some common sense rules, I just they stick to it and not go back to old ways midway through the season
Old 25 Jan 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3705048)   #2145
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i am unclear how this is different then before?
Old 25 Jan 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3705105)   #2146
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Now, the drivers get use racecraft to bang wheels. Careful placement of the car to make the incident less clear and therefore remove any blame. No more weaving under brakes but more stubborn blocking.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 00:27 (Ref:3705113)   #2147
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I don't know either, still at Charlie's discretion to report incidents to the stewards in the first place, c.f. Hamilton's short-cut.
Old 26 Jan 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3705165)   #2148
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Perhaps it's intended to shut the whiny drivers up who insist on reporting every single tiny little thing to their teams in a voice that then gets replayed all over the universe, resulting in everyone in race control being hounded for not taking action?

It's the rule equivalent of "shut up and race".
Old 30 Jan 2017, 23:43 (Ref:3707929)   #2149
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Perhaps it's intended to shut the whiny drivers up who insist on reporting every single tiny little thing to their teams in a voice that then gets replayed all over the universe, resulting in everyone in race control being hounded for not taking action?

It's the rule equivalent of "shut up and race".

Could penalize them for "flopping" like they do in basketball, you whine without reason, you get a drive through!
Old 6 Feb 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3710534)   #2150
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Max Mosley has been talking about the 2017 rules and thinks they have gone in the wrong direction. He might have gone for for more mechanical grip but not more aero downforce as this is making the cars faster. He says you normally need to slow the cars down and make them safer.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mo...ection-871464/

I suspect he will be right about the 2017 cars. Also remember the person who wanted these changes will no longer be directly involved in the sport.