Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 12 Nov 2001, 17:30 (Ref:173672)   #51
pitbit
Rookie

pitbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the welcome Marshal... I think what people are failing to realise as well is that Lewis has gone from karts to FRenault. I'm sure if he had gone into FFord Zetecs he would have headed the field without any problems as Jenson did. He is not used to racing slicks and wings everyone should just give him a chance to prove his worth. He's only ickle.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 12:30 (Ref:174415)   #52
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just going back to the comment about Motaworld not being the best team out there because how many titles have Manor won in the recent past.

Bear in mind Motaworld only came into it in '99 and then when it was a very different formula - spaceframe chassis and very poor opposition. Things are a bit different now, equal (or as equal as you're going to get before the ranters start) cars and all of a sudden Motaworld have beaten Manor to the last two titles and are on course to make it a hat-trick with Robert Bell. I agreee, manor are exceptionally good (winning the F3 title at their first attempt is amazing) but Motaworld and very probably Falcon and Fortec are now doing just as good a job. Saxon are getting up there as well. A terrific formula, in all.

As for Hamilton. What a shame he's carrying this millstone around his neck. At just 16 years of age. All the kid is guilty of is being the one that McLaren want to support. People are going to argue about him whatever. He'll get his critics and supporters. If he's going to be to motor racing what Hear Say are to pop then of course he's a sitting duck for the more hysterical among us. All I'll say is he did do a solid job at the weekend, clearly much better in the 2nd race, but his team-mate Matt Howson was just as quick and perhaps the biggest surprise of the weekend. I see it says in MN today Hamiltons et the second fastest lap of the race - wrong, Howson actually lapped quicker than Hamilton by 2/10ths. No, he's probably not the next Senna, but nor is he the next Ed Redfern. I await Donington with great interest.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 12:40 (Ref:174420)   #53
Simon Pullan
Racer

Simon Pullan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Apex
and all of a sudden Motaworld have beaten Manor to the last two titles and are on course to make it a hat-trick with Robert Bell.
I don't understand. :confused:
I thought that Motorworld only won the last 1 championship, with Carl. If my memory serves me correctly, Manor won in 2000 with Kimi.

But I do agree with you. Motaworld are at least as good as Manor.

Last edited by Simon Pullan; 14 Nov 2001 at 12:42.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 13:06 (Ref:174426)   #54
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they won the 2000 Winter Series with McCloughlin. Not 100% sure though.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 13:17 (Ref:174427)   #55
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Correctomundo!
Old 14 Nov 2001, 13:50 (Ref:174434)   #56
Jonny Apex
Veteran

That's correct, they did.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 14:25 (Ref:174443)   #57
Simon Pullan
Racer

Simon Pullan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, yes. Sorry.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 14:27 (Ref:174444)   #58
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
isn't that guy who won the winter series last year in it this year?
or am i just going dense...
Old 14 Nov 2001, 16:04 (Ref:174484)   #59
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Very dense. Mark McLoughlin, you're thinking of. He was in Falcon's garage helping advise their drivers Alex Lloyd and Katherine Legge. Pretty talented too. Definitely quick but one of those drivers in whose favour the dice don't look as if they're going to roll. Shame.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 19:06 (Ref:174598)   #60
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks for rectifying my stupidity
Old 21 Nov 2001, 20:32 (Ref:177426)   #61
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Ron should be examining the adverse publicity his McLaren will receive for backing a driver whose family are unable to conduct themselves in a manner conducive with the slick marketing machine of the mighty McLaren and the mightier Mercedes Benz corporations.

The young Mr Hamilton drove a commendable race on Sunday at Donington, stuck fast to the back of a Motaworld car driven by an arguably less experienced driver (i.e. minus X amount of years in karts, and without the professional grooming and coaching of LH), who still managed to hold off the tenacious and well-funded youngster in their battle for the lowest step on the podium.

A podium finish was clearly of great importance to the Hamilton clan, having had to witness previous qualifying and race performances from LH which had hardly set the tarmac alight.

This was evident in the large Hamilton entourage which took root in the Renault hospitality awning, not letting any of the freebies go to waste.

I can appreciate they may have been hoping for a good result. I'm sure they were disappointed that the protege failed to pass this less talented/infamous/experienced/important/marketable driver.

But, considering he was in with no chance of making any impression on the oh-so-important Winter Series championship standings, did this huge, crushing blow to Lewis Hamilton's career development really warrant the grotesque behaviour of his father immediately after the race?

Awaiting the third placed driver's arrival in pitlane, Hamilton Senior, paced up and down, shaking his head. When Thompson pulled up, LH's father began gesturing at him - ****er is what I think he was trying to convey with his hand movements.

Not content with this display, he then proceeded, before the assembled press, cameramen, drivers, team members and the few freezing fans, to hurl a torrent of abuse at Thompson as he stood on the podium being presented with his trophy. The diatribe again included Anthony Hamilton's most favourite word..."****er".

Was this kind of outburst really necessary? In front of people who can clearly see who this sore loser is – McLaren’s most prominent representative at an Frenault meet - ironically because his colour draws attention to him in the pitlane. Did he genuinely believe his son was cheated out of a deserved third place?

Or was he more concerned that McLaren/Mercedes would withdraw the liberal use of a brand spanking new Mercedes, and other perks enjoyed by the Hamilton family, should his son fail to live up to the hype?

I wonder.

Either way. Mr Hamilton, this isn't karting, it's an expensive, high profile sport, for which the majority of drivers, rich or poor, must cobble together a budget from somewhere, anywhere, if they wish to race.

And it’s because they are each paying their way that they are ALL allowed a bite at the cherry, fair and square. Not just the ones that answer to Ron Dennis.
Old 21 Nov 2001, 21:11 (Ref:177450)   #62
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Tony should have kept his temper and this isn't meant to be an excuse for him, but Thompson wasn't exactly the safest of drivers on that day. No point making him out to be a saint just because of the behaviour of another.

Your comments about us in the Renault hospitality are quite amusing. Not sure what you mean by it though.

Quote:
Either way. Mr Hamilton, this isn't karting, it's an expensive, high profile sport,
?? what on earth do you think Lewis has been doing for the past couple of years? indoor funkarts?
Quote:
But, considering he was in with no chance of making any impression on the oh-so-important Winter Series championship standings, did this huge, crushing blow to Lewis Hamilton's career development really warrant the grotesque behaviour of his father immediately after the race?
Again, not an excuse but an explanation: when you're in a situation where you feel your son or whatever has been treated unfairly or put in danger on the track, it's not the particularly the position they've been denied you're annoyed about, it's more the injustice of it

Last edited by superbird; 21 Nov 2001 at 21:20.
Old 21 Nov 2001, 21:22 (Ref:177461)   #63
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
double post

Last edited by superbird; 21 Nov 2001 at 21:23.
Old 21 Nov 2001, 22:03 (Ref:177489)   #64
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher tips Hamilton as future ace

Sounds like Hamilton senior needs to take a lesson from other ex karting dads (like me and others), and take himself off to the grandstands to watch junior in action! When the boy gets older he wont thank dad for showing him up! The main problem is that Lewis is still to young to have made the move to race cars. Another two years in Super A and he would have come in as a maturer 'first time out' winner like Fizzy, Trulli, and Button etc, did. As it is NOW! a seasoned car racer with vital track knowledge like Bell will make his experience count more than a raw 'talented' novice can.
Old 21 Nov 2001, 22:12 (Ref:177500)   #65
Zingo
Rookie

Zingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are you Superbird?

Is anyone getting the feeling that "Superbird" might just be, Hmmm? -Lewis' father himself?
Old 21 Nov 2001, 22:40 (Ref:177522)   #66
sgrok
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by superbird
Yes, Tony should have kept his temper and this isn't meant to be an excuse for him, but Thompson wasn't exactly the safest of drivers on that day. No point making him out to be a saint just because of the behaviour of another.
I think it's up to the clerk of the course to pass judgement on the standards of driving on the track. If the 'danger' so perceived by the fearful Mr Hamilton Senior had been real, then would the relevant officials not perhaps taken action?
Quote:
Your comments about us in the Renault hospitality are quite amusing. Not sure what you mean by it though.
Having circa thirty people show up per driver, expecting to be fed and watered, may have Renault's hospitality bugeteers doing a rethink for future races. Was Manor's hospitality too sparse?

Quote:
?? what on earth do you think Lewis has been doing for the past couple of years? indoor funkarts? Again, not an excuse but an explanation: when you're in a situation where you feel your son or whatever has been treated unfairly or put in danger on the track, it's not the particularly the position they've been denied you're annoyed about, it's more the injustice of it

...I have just learned tonight after watching one of them 'indoor funkart' races you speak of, that Lewis Hamilton is in fact the nephew of Ron Dennis.

Nothing like a bit of nepotism, eh...

Mystery solved.

Old 22 Nov 2001, 09:21 (Ref:177619)   #67
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgrok

...I have just learned tonight after watching one of them 'indoor funkart' races you speak of, that Lewis Hamilton is in fact the nephew of Ron Dennis.

Nothing like a bit of nepotism, eh...

Mystery solved.

Hi sgrok and welcome to 10-10ths, I hope you enjoy posting here.

As for the above - is that really true?? I've never heard it before, but if true its very interesting....
Old 22 Nov 2001, 10:39 (Ref:177638)   #68
sgrok
Racer

Hi Marshal,

I was watching the kart race that Schumacer and Hamilton were both in recently - I think it was on Eurosport. The commentator refered to Hamilton as the nephew of Ron Dennis. Maybe he has his facts wrong - commentators do from time to time - but if it is true it has certainly been kept quiet through all the rest of the media frenzy surrounding LH.

Last edited by sgrok; 22 Nov 2001 at 10:39.
Old 5 Sep 2002, 17:53 (Ref:373940)   #69
kn.
Rookie

kn. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it all rather amusing reading some of these old threads. This one is just an example of how ignorant some of you can be.
sgrok/danielclarke/rennen/tim555 and others i do think its time you tried to look at life in a mature way instead of behaving like spoilt brats.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 14:12 (Ref:374578)   #70
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True! And I think Lewis has proved that he IS unquestionably a talented driver, mega backing or not. No matter how much advice, driver training, simulators, etc you are getting behind the scenes, you still have to convert it to fast laps. And no, life isn't fair...Diddums !!! And finally, it doesn't happen straight away for everyone ... drivers develop at their own pace. Look at Raikonnen (meteoric) and Sato.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 6 Sep 2002, 14:24 (Ref:374584)   #71
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if anyone is Meteoric its Sato, isnt this his 6th or 7th season of racing? Kimi and Jenson entered F1 at something like 13-15
Old 6 Sep 2002, 15:02 (Ref:374603)   #72
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree kn, I just want to know one thing, if Daniel Clarke still posts on here, who pays for your racing?, it says your a student on your personal profile when I was a student I certainly didnt get paid 65K. Or do you have a part time job that pays well enough for racing! Something tells me its Daddy.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 16:09 (Ref:374657)   #73
danielclarke
Rookie

danielclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL you guys make me laugh. No amount of talking and theorizing and philosophy will convert into intelligence or actuial knowledge of what actually goes on in racing or the mind of a racer.

For the hundredth time, I don't have a rich daddy at all. I have a hard working daddy that paid for my karting, but I raced in CADETS and Jnr & Snr TKM (the cheapest classes). No racing in Europe since we couldn't afford it. Hell we even missed out on doing the British Champs, for a while, cos we didn't have enough money.

What I have now though, is the backing from a rich dood. I won't give you his name 'cos I know people will try and poach him. But he's got contacts in F1 and he's got money and most of all, he's got confidence in me to get there. He's seen me, he actually knows me and he's convinced I have what it takes, so much so that this year was all paid by him.

So please don't write me off as a rich daddy's boy. Call me **** if you will, I can tolerate that kind of nonsense. But calling me rich is different...

Regards

Daniel Clarke
http://www.DanielRacing.com
daniel@danielracing.com
Old 6 Sep 2002, 23:59 (Ref:374966)   #74
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A little practical advice for you Daniel.Some of your comments are right on the button but they won't change anything - actions speak louder than words.If you have total confidence in your ability look to fund your racing via a loan or enter into an agreement which allows a third party to enjoy the financial benefits of your success.Be warned though that you won't have very long to make an impression.Within your first two years maximum you must win a championship or at the very least be able to run right at the very front consistently. If you have the talent to do this you will discover that the 'right' people will start to approach you and the financial burden,whilst not yet solved,will become lighter.However,you must stand out as a real talent-running midfield is not an option.You will find the top 10 in any serious Formula are very good - the top 2 or 3 are bloody quick! I have seen people come into FFord and FRenault with reasonable track records from other categories only to find they can't qualify in the top 20.Make no mistake - Hamilton may have mega bucks from Mclaren but you don't win 2 FRenault races unless you have talent.Watts,Green,Hamilton and Bell are in the bloody quick category and talent is the key to their on-going success.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 11:44 (Ref:375213)   #75
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daniel is doing pretty well this season, hes come on a lot from the kid that approached our team sheepishly at the start of the season. He is currently 4th in the championship driving for a brand new team. Hes impressed me this season.

Hes not the only one 3 of the top four are struggling for money and I can imagine at least 2 of them not moving up next season, which is a real shame because they are all great talents and we would love them to drive for us next season.