Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 29 Jul 2012, 02:36 (Ref:3112995)   #51
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The current top 35 rule leave very little room for decent part-time entries, and award consistent backfielders too much.

But honestly, I think that the top 20 drivers in the standings should have a guaranteed spot in the races. Perhaps even the top 25.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 01:15 (Ref:3139775)   #52
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This as well as a story in Autoweek that said Phoenix Racing might close it's doors at the end of the year, makes me feel that this will happen.

Quote:
Smith expects to be out of the #78: Regan Smith, who piloted Furniture Row Racing to its breakthrough first victory on the Sprint Cup tour last season, has been told he won't be back in the organization's #78 car next year. Smith confirmed the news to NASCAR.com after qualifying Friday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. "I've been told it appears I won't be back here next year," Smith said. Furniture Row's general manager, Joe Garone, could not immediately be located for comment. Smith didn't want to speculate on the reasons behind the impending change and he said he's unsure if he will finish the season in the #78 Chevy (NASCAR.com).
AND Regan Smith does not believe he will return to Furniture Row Racing in 2013, possibly opening the door for much-maligned driver Kurt Busch. Furniture Row general manager Joe Garone has expressed interest in hiring Busch since January and the team has been seeking sponsorship to field a second car for him. Busch confirmed Friday that he has talked with Garone as well as other teams. "They've shown good interest and so have others," Busch said. "There's a handful of contracts sitting on my desk and it's just a matter of going through some detail with each of the teams." Furniture Row general manager Joe Garone said in an email Friday that his team is interested in Busch but that Busch has talked with other teams as well. Richard Petty Motorsports is among the organizations that has not signed its drivers for next season and also could be a candidate for Busch. When asked Friday if he would be back with Furniture Row next season, Smith said, "I don't believe so."
"There's a lot to it, is the best way I can put it," said Smith, who moved to Denver last year to be closer to the Colorado-based team. "It's a place where I've been for a while. I'm happy here. I like it here. But sometimes change isn't bad, either." Smith said he has been talking to other teams about 2013.(Sporting News)(9-21-2012)
Old 22 Sep 2012, 02:46 (Ref:3139790)   #53
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah. This was expected. Furniture Row made it blatantly obvious that they wanted Kurt Busch and not Regan Smith anymore. He will probably be signed within the next several days. Phoenix situation I doubt has anything to do with this.
Old 25 Sep 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3141186)   #54
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Yeah. This was expected. Furniture Row made it blatantly obvious that they wanted Kurt Busch and not Regan Smith anymore. He will probably be signed within the next several days. Phoenix situation I doubt has anything to do with this.
Confirmed today.

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cu...nascar-sprint/

Hmmm....maybe David Ragan and Regan Smith can join up......
Old 26 Sep 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3142072)   #55
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The 2013 schedule was announced. The only changes are the Eastern off weekend, and that the Kansas and Talladega Chase races get swapped again.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 04:26 (Ref:3143535)   #56
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
I don't understand why Finch (Phoenix Racing) would say he's closing down at the end of the season when what he's doing now (looking for drivers next year, so they're coming back) shows the complete opposite.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3143815)   #57
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don't understand why Finch (Phoenix Racing) would say he's closing down at the end of the season when what he's doing now (looking for drivers next year, so they're coming back) shows the complete opposite.
Maybe he's selling the team complete with secure driver contracts. I dunno though.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3144268)   #58
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Maybe he's selling the team complete with secure driver contracts. I dunno though.
Actually, I read a bit more of this on Jayski, it's likely he's doing what FAS lane did since their formation (#32 team); Put funded drivers in the car per race.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3144886)   #59
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anychance Dodge will change there mind if they win the title this year? Could Petty be holding out on this, waiting with fingers crossed?
Old 2 Oct 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3145284)   #60
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I don't see that happen.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3151855)   #61
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Markus Niemelä has already started negotiations with the future NASCAR series. probably Niemelä to run next year NASCAR K&N Pro Series West or Nationwide Series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urheiluviikko translate View Post
-well proceeded race because of BMR's, there are other NASCAR-teams, who are interested in me. It warms the mind Niemelä told.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3151901)   #62
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
I'm surprised noone mentioned this, but as of next year, it's official. No more top 35 rule.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3153065)   #63
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, it'll be replaced by a 36-6-1 rule:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103487

Not as catchy...
Old 16 Oct 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3153109)   #64
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not a big past champion's provisional fan (I don't think anyone really is).

If you're going to do a gimmick, just come out and do a gimmick. Have a promoter's option where Eddie Gossage bursts fireworks into the sky forming the likeness of whichever driver he wants in the show for all to see, declares it fate, and puts that driver in 43rd. Or have a fan vote...the fans were used to determine the fastest pit crew at one point, surely we can determine the fastest 43 qualifiers.

But seriously, the only way to get rid of the PCP is to make sure Jeremy Mayfield never gets back in the garage looking for scrap metal...

The only way to get rid of the other kind of PCP is to have it do something really awful. First race of the Chase. 44 cars entered. The 8 slowest are the top 7 in owner's points, who are also the top 7 in driver's points, and ol' Texas Terry Labonte on his #32 Hoveround. 7th place just so happens to be named Earnhardt. The provisionals page of the rulebook magically gets blacked out and Terry "decides" to retire immediately.

By the way, I'm looking forward to Danica in a GoDaddy.com Toyota for Humphrey-Smith after her first DNQ. I say this as a Danica fan, but even more as a fan of amusing things, and I really want Lionel to be pressured into making 36 varieties of Danica die-cast to commemorate each different ride she bought in 2013.

Knowing NASCAR, and Danica, though, I suspect a new declaration will allow Tony Stewart to use the 2011 champion's provisional for himself and loan the 2005 and 2002 ones to Danica and Ryan respectively.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3153423)   #65
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I'm surprised that it's the top 7 that get a guaranteed spot, and not all 12 drivers in the Chase.
Old 27 Oct 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3158700)   #66
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
The #49 Cup team is up for auction, so they've closed down the operation and obviously won't be back next year.

For more significant news, Here's JR Motorsports' lineup for 2013:

Quote:
JR Motorsports hires Regan Smith for 2013 Nationwide Series: JR Motorsports announced it has reached an agreement with Regan Smith to drive the team's #5 NASCAR Nationwide Series entry full time in 2013. General Manager Kelley Earnhardt Miller said Smith will make his JRM debut this year, as the company will field three teams for the Nov. 17 race at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Smith will join teammates Cole Whitt and Danica Patrick in the season finale. Smith has not competed in the Nationwide Series since 2007 when he tallied three top-fives, five top-10s, and a pole award at Kentucky Speedway. Smith's #5 Chevy, to date, is the only JRM entry cemented for a full-season slate in 2013. Earnhardt Miller said the goal of the organization is still to run two full-time teams the #5 and #7 with addition to Earnhardt Jr. competing in select Nationwide Series races in the #88 car. "We feel it is important for our sponsors, our fans, and even Dale to keep his Nationwide Series number consistent with his Cup number," Earnhardt Miller said. "His brand is associated with the #88. That's what makes him distinguishable on the race track, so it's only natural that he drives the #88 all the time. To do that, we are making our #5 Chevy our full-time entry. We hope to have Cole in the #7 full time in 2013, and we are working hard on securing sponsorship for that.(JR Motorsports)(10-24-2012)
Lineup for the #55 MWR car:

Quote:
Martin, Vickers, Waltrip continue to share #55 in 2013: UPDATE: Mark Martin, Brian Vickers and Michael Waltrip will continue to share the driving duties in Michael Waltrip Racing's #55 Toyota in 2013. MWR announced Friday that Martin will drive in 24 NASCAR Sprint Cup points races, plus the Budweiser Shootout in Daytona and the All-Star race in Charlotte. Waltrip's three races include the July Daytona race plus both Talladega races. Vickers' nine races include all the Bristol, Martinsville, New Hampshire and road course events, as well as the Kentucky Speedway race. "I love my schedule and I love our lineup," said 40-time winner Martin whose four poles in 2012 equal the most of any driver. "Brian has a tremendous amount of experience and talent for such a young driver and you saw at Talladega that Michael Waltrip is as good as anyone in a restrictor plate race." Martin and Waltrip will continue to drive the Aaron's Dream Machine paint scheme in 2013 while sponsorship for six of Vickers' nine races is available.(MWR)(10-26-2012)
UPDATE: Vickers, in negotiations to drive a full-time Nationwide Series schedule for Joe Gibbs Racing next year, has four top-10s in seven starts. He said there are no guarantees Martin will retire after next season and he'll get the #55 full-time in 2014. "(Am I) in the wings? Yes," he said. "I don't think I could be any closer to the wing. There's no contractual obligation to 2014, but that's my goal and that's their goal." Vickers said he had other opportunities to possibly drive full-time next year, but opted to stay with Michael Waltrip Racing because of the chemistry he has developed with crew chief Rodney Childers and the opportunity to win races. "For me, staying with MWR was a conscious decision to be in the best position to win races," Vickers said.(ESPN)(10-27-2012)
Old 27 Oct 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3158710)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The #49 Cup team is up for auction, so they've closed down the operation and obviously won't be back next year.

Its interesting to look at their auction Here and see what it takes to bring a smaller team to the grid.

Are the damaged cars theirs or gotten cheaply to supply parts to their own main ones? This is clearly a small 'Harry Hogge' style operation
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Oct 2012, 06:49 (Ref:3158836)   #68
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vickers must be a little disappointed that he only gets 9 Cup rides...
Old 28 Oct 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3159135)   #69
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Its interesting to look at their auction Here and see what it takes to bring a smaller team to the grid.

Are the damaged cars theirs or gotten cheaply to supply parts to their own main ones? This is clearly a small 'Harry Hogge' style operation
Damaged cars look like parts for spares, particularily the pic of the white ex ML Motorsports car. Kind of a shame as this team ran decently for the few sponsored races.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3159136)   #70
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Vickers must be a little disappointed that he only gets 9 Cup rides...

But full time in 2014, so it may be worth it.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3159137)   #71
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Probably
Old 28 Oct 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3159225)   #72
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Quote:
But full time in 2014, so it may be worth it.
Ah ok, didnt realize that...
Old 3 Nov 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3161860)   #73
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Ganassi switching Hendrick engines next year.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3162155)   #74
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
McMurray & Montoya signed for 2013?
Old 4 Nov 2012, 16:31 (Ref:3162444)   #75
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
McMurray & Montoya signed for 2013?
Yep. confirmed.