Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2017, 07:00 (Ref:3783375)   #31
F1Guy
Veteran
 
F1Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Posts: 736
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post race driver comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBe3rTnWu8w
F1Guy is offline  
__________________
When did I do dangerous driving???
Quote
Old 27 Nov 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3783410)   #32
Razzzor
Veteran
 
Razzzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
New Zealand
New Zealand
Posts: 1,039
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I wish Brundle and Croft would get it right about one thing.

It's not just the DRS zones or getting a better exit off the corner. That hairpin before the first back stretch is faster than the apex for the slowest part of that "chicane" between the two stretches. So, going onto the shorter, second stretch, the physical gap between cars actually opens up more than when coming off the hairpin.

Maybe just have the one DRS zone. Open up that left/right chicane. (The whole area is already paved, anyway.) And get rid of that silly chicane leading into the hairpin to give a real chance for something to happen there.

I gotta say, it's kind of a weird feeling watching a race at this track right after watching the Supercars at Newcastle.
Did anyone watch the Ted Kravitz walk after the race? To be honest it was more interesting than the race itself as he interviews Mika Hakkinen, Kovalainen, Carlos Sainz, and the great Hermann Tilke himself who came across like a complete t--t. He refused to admit there was something wrong with the track and that they're only looking at doing a very small change to it. When Ted suggested no one can get close enough pass he turned it around claiming that a slower car following a faster car shouldn't be able to pass anyway. Then just brushed it off with some excuse when Ted said what about when it's a faster car behind a slower car and they still can't even get close.

Instead of changing the logo, perhaps Liberty need to look for a new track designer to work with.

Ted can be irritating at times, he looks like an utter fool always wearing those shorts, Sky Sports should demand he wear appropriate professional attire. But his interviews are decent.
Razzzor is offline  
Quote
Old 27 Nov 2017, 11:06 (Ref:3783447)   #33
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,340
S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not a great way to end the season. Great win by Bottas, at least Hamilton kept him honest, but the cars just can't follow each other. Same with Max and Kimi

Shame for Danny, it doesn't seem right that Kimi finishes above him in the championship considering how underperforming Kimi has been this season, whereas Danny has been on it. And same Sainz had that problem, but at least it meant Felipe ended his F1 career with a point, it was quite a moment before and after the race for him and glad to see him joining the Mercs in post race donuts. And good to see Fred getting a couple of points too, showing he still has it. And well done Hulk getting Renault into 6th in the championship

Also thanks to Grosjean for providing the most action in the race.
S griffin is online now  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 27 Nov 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3783479)   #34
bella
Race Official
Veteran
 
bella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
France
Posts: 15,105
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Ted can be irritating at times, he looks like an utter fool always wearing those shorts, Sky Sports should demand he wear appropriate professional attire. But his interviews are decent.
he's not my cup of tea either but he kind of represents everyone's inner fanboy in a way

not really a classic was it?
bella is offline  
__________________
devils advocate in-chief and professional arguer of both sides
Quote
Old 27 Nov 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3783533)   #35
chillibowl
Veteran
 
chillibowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Canada
winnipeg, canada
Posts: 5,449
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
Bella you touched on this in the logo thread...but i really liked the donuts and the lining up on the straight line at the end of the race...was expecting to read about some post race penalties for them leaving their cars there but thankfully that didnt happen.

fireworks in the background, smoke from cars doing burnouts and donuts...almost as good as jet planes buzzing the complex pre race tradition you see at a lot of sporting events.

i may not be a kid anymore but i still love that sort of spectacle!

race was still not great though but spectacle wise Abu Dhabi still looks amazing and futuristic and i respect the aesthetics of the venue.

missed the interview with Tilke though...i wonder if he was just being defensive/trying to justify his position to the new owners in the post BE era?
chillibowl is online now  
__________________
What shall we use to fill the empty spaces, where waves of hunger roar?
Shall we set out across the sea of faces in search of more and more applause?
Shall we buy a new guitar? Shall we drive a more powerful car?
Quote
Old 27 Nov 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3783538)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,215
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've never liked Yas Marina as a track and as both the WDC and WCC had been decided, I thought I'd watch the first few laps and the end of the race. I haven't done that since the Ferrari/Schumacher days.

Looking at how people voted on the Official Rate the Grand Prix: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2017, with nine giving it 1 and eight giving it 3 and reading the various posts on the poll and this thread, I don't think I missed anything.

It was also interesting to read what Hamilton, http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/133294 and Raikkonen, http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/133294, had to say about the race.
bjohnsonsmith is online now  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3783730)   #37
wnut
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,323
wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
How did the stewards think that penalizing Hulkenberg 5 secs for cutting the track and overtaking Perez was fair?

The Mercedes engineers told Hamilton a car would have to be 1.4 secs a lap faster in order to overtake. http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/133294

Championship manipulation?

There should also be an investigation into the engine Renault supplied STR.
wnut is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Nov 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3783754)   #38
newlaprecord
Racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Switzerland
Feusisberg
Posts: 174
newlaprecord has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post

Instead of changing the logo, perhaps Liberty need to look for a new track designer to work with.

.
Thats a really good point actually. Liberty seem to be listening to classic fan complaints clearly a bit more than the previous management did, so how on earth Tilke is not blacklisted from every event is beyond me. They should literaly revoke his pass, get rid of all his tracks, all of them, and then of course put him in a German prison for what he did with Hockenheim... I mean that should go without saying really

Oh and bring back to only decent race track this guy has ever designed, the turkish gp, even if there are 5 people watching track-side, that circuit is a total gem. Much like "Cant Touch This" , a proper floor filler from anotherwise God-awful artist.
newlaprecord is offline  
Quote
Old 28 Nov 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3783841)   #39
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,340
S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
These new cars don't help either. We should be thankful for Hamilton backing Rosberg up last season, as it at least kept us more on edge
S griffin is online now  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 28 Nov 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3783858)   #40
Purist
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Posts: 5,582
Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!
Honestly, it's just the Mercedes that are really THAT bad at following other cars; this track is too much like a point-and-squirt street circuit, and so, it really favors the more powerful and/or less draggy cars.

Watching the pre-race lap comparison, Ricciardo's Red Bull can do the business in Turns 1-3, but the power of the Merc has Hamilton ahead by the approach to Turn 5. And although they talk about Sector 3 being good for the Red Bull, Turns 15-16 are flat-out, so the only high-speed corner in that section that's actually a real corner is Turn 20.

And I suppose Tilke would then need to go into an Austrian prison for what he did to the Osterreichring, and the same with the Japanese and Mexicans for what he did to Fuji and Hermanos Rodriguez.

Anyway, I'd also like to see Istanbul back, and wish Sepang wasn't disappearing for 2018. The one Tilke circuit they haven't visited that I'd be interested to see them have a go at is Buriram; I think the racing there could actually be pretty decent, and it's not just another 20 corners in 3.4 miles circuit.

Singapore came out pretty well, at least, though they should have left the circuit going across the right side of the Anderson Bridge. Baku is also quite good for the racing. Sochi is an odd one; I think a few minor tweaks could certainly help, and I do like the front stretch, Turn 3, and the back stretch. But yeah, parts of it are just too disjointed and point-and-squirt.

I know China's going to have a race one way or another; I just wish a better option existed besides Shanghai. Zhuhai isn't bad, but there's not much in my mind to particularly recommend it either. Ningbo might be decent, but is likely considered too short for F1. And Ordos is too short and too fiddly. Part of me would like to see F1 cas try to make it around Macau, well the hairpin anyway.

So yes, I'd like to see the back side of Yas Marina, Austin, Shanghai, and Bahrain, though the last one doesn't seem quite as bad to me now; I wonder though if Dubai would produce better racing, and I'm curious to see what Kuwait will look like when finished.

I'd love to see F1 have a go at Algarve, and really, I'm not terribly keen on any of the Spanish circuits, given the layouts they'd likely use for F1. I'd find Jerez quite nice, if not for the chicane. Catalunya would be alright also, if not for those two changes in the latter portion of the lap that came in about a decade ago. Heck, I think Aragon could be interesting, especially if they omitted that chicane and let them have the full 1,700+ meters of back stretch to work with.

It's a bit like Germany though, where the better-known options don't seem so great, and so the Sachsenring is looking more appealing, and in Spain, I'm looking more closely at Jarama.

If there's an opening for the track designer slot, I'd gladly throw my hat into the ring.
Purist is offline  
__________________
The only certainty is that nothing is certain.
Quote
Old 29 Nov 2017, 00:57 (Ref:3783903)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 15,215
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Honestly, it's just the Mercedes that are really THAT bad at following other cars; this track is too much like a point-and-squirt street circuit, and so, it really favors the more powerful and/or less draggy cars.

Watching the pre-race lap comparison, Ricciardo's Red Bull can do the business in Turns 1-3, but the power of the Merc has Hamilton ahead by the approach to Turn 5. And although they talk about Sector 3 being good for the Red Bull, Turns 15-16 are flat-out, so the only high-speed corner in that section that's actually a real corner is Turn 20.

And I suppose Tilke would then need to go into an Austrian prison for what he did to the Osterreichring, and the same with the Japanese and Mexicans for what he did to Fuji and Hermanos Rodriguez.

Anyway, I'd also like to see Istanbul back, and wish Sepang wasn't disappearing for 2018. The one Tilke circuit they haven't visited that I'd be interested to see them have a go at is Buriram; I think the racing there could actually be pretty decent, and it's not just another 20 corners in 3.4 miles circuit.

Singapore came out pretty well, at least, though they should have left the circuit going across the right side of the Anderson Bridge. Baku is also quite good for the racing. Sochi is an odd one; I think a few minor tweaks could certainly help, and I do like the front stretch, Turn 3, and the back stretch. But yeah, parts of it are just too disjointed and point-and-squirt.

I know China's going to have a race one way or another; I just wish a better option existed besides Shanghai. Zhuhai isn't bad, but there's not much in my mind to particularly recommend it either. Ningbo might be decent, but is likely considered too short for F1. And Ordos is too short and too fiddly. Part of me would like to see F1 cas try to make it around Macau, well the hairpin anyway.

So yes, I'd like to see the back side of Yas Marina, Austin, Shanghai, and Bahrain, though the last one doesn't seem quite as bad to me now; I wonder though if Dubai would produce better racing, and I'm curious to see what Kuwait will look like when finished.

I'd love to see F1 have a go at Algarve, and really, I'm not terribly keen on any of the Spanish circuits, given the layouts they'd likely use for F1. I'd find Jerez quite nice, if not for the chicane. Catalunya would be alright also, if not for those two changes in the latter portion of the lap that came in about a decade ago. Heck, I think Aragon could be interesting, especially if they omitted that chicane and let them have the full 1,700+ meters of back stretch to work with.

It's a bit like Germany though, where the better-known options don't seem so great, and so the Sachsenring is looking more appealing, and in Spain, I'm looking more closely at Jarama.

If there's an opening for the track designer slot, I'd gladly throw my hat into the ring.
If there is one person on Ten Tenths, who knows his race tracks, it's Purist. I've been hauled up quite a few times on intros to IndyCar races, about track lengths and layouts.
bjohnsonsmith is online now  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 29 Nov 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3784114)   #42
Purist
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Posts: 5,582
Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the endorsement.

(Now, if they could just get it sorted whether or not they're having that race in Mexico for 2018. Sheesh.)
Purist is offline  
__________________
The only certainty is that nothing is certain.
Quote
Old 29 Nov 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3784141)   #43
wnut
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,323
wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Did anyone watch the Ted Kravitz walk after the race? To be honest it was more interesting than the race itself as he interviews Mika Hakkinen, Kovalainen, Carlos Sainz, and the great Hermann Tilke himself who came across like a complete t--t. He refused to admit there was something wrong with the track and that they're only looking at doing a very small change to it. When Ted suggested no one can get close enough pass he turned it around claiming that a slower car following a faster car shouldn't be able to pass anyway. Then just brushed it off with some excuse when Ted said what about when it's a faster car behind a slower car and they still can't even get close.

Instead of changing the logo, perhaps Liberty need to look for a new track designer to work with.

Ted can be irritating at times, he looks like an utter fool always wearing those shorts, Sky Sports should demand he wear appropriate professional attire. But his interviews are decent.

"Ted can be irritating at times, he looks like an utter fool always wearing those shorts, Sky Sports should demand he wear appropriate professional attire. But his interviews are decent."

I really enjoy Ted, as you say his interviews are good, and his clothing style provides a relief from the stuffy formality that has descended on the rest of the paddock. Ted puts a little fun back into F1, and provides very good insights into what is happening, and who is who in the zoo.
wnut is offline  
Quote
Old 30 Nov 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3784269)   #44
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Greem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Posts: 2,636
Greem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGreem will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I really enjoy Ted, as you say his interviews are good, and his clothing style provides a relief from the stuffy formality that has descended on the rest of the paddock. Ted puts a little fun back into F1, and provides very good insights into what is happening, and who is who in the zoo.
I think there's more than one enthusiast who looks at Ted and wishes they could do that. He's the F1 Nerd's Nerd.

More power to his deck shoes!
Greem is online now  
__________________
Unconsciously incompetent since 1970.
Quote
Old 30 Nov 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3784288)   #45
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran
 
ScotsBrutesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Scotland
West Lothian
Posts: 4,658
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
Ted's fashion sense is a massive counter point to the various "uniforms" of the paddock. Not just the sponsor covered teams but the FIA and FOM official shirts and not forgetting many of the TV crews behind the camera, as well as some of the presenters wearing their TV companies logos.

I'd like to hope the same could be said for outfits that Kia Eble wears too.
ScotsBrutesFan is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Official] Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Predictions Contest 2017 - Round 20 of 20 - Entries Born Racer Predictions Contest & Fun 8 25 Nov 2017 13:00
[Official] Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2016: Grand Prix Weekend Thread Born Racer Formula One 290 8 Dec 2016 14:03
[Official] Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2015: Weekend Thread Born Racer Formula One 78 21 Dec 2015 20:20
[Official] Team of the Grand Prix: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2015 Born Racer Formula One 12 13 Dec 2015 19:05
[Official] Driver of the Grand Prix: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2015 Born Racer Formula One 17 9 Dec 2015 22:41


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 17:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.