Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Nov 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3163513)   #1
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Abu Dhabi - Young Driver Test

I know test times mean nothing a lot of the time, but they're interesting anyway.
A variety of drivers on show, some old hands at testing (looking at you Gary) while some are fresh as daisies.
Here are the times from day one:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104080
Old 6 Nov 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3163544)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Can we infer the McLaren is the best car on the grid?
Old 7 Nov 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3163573)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Either that or that Kevin Magnussen is really rather a good driver having set the time whilst completing the fewest number of laps.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 02:31 (Ref:3163582)   #4
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We can infer the McLaren is the fastest car at Abu Dhabi given Hamilton's performance, and given the fact that it carried Gary Paffett all the way up to the level of mediocre.

McLaren the best car in general? I don't think we can get there, and if we do, it's independent of Magnussen, who got a lot more out of it than his experienced partner.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3163677)   #5
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to see that the guy who will take Vettel's records was 2nd...
Old 7 Nov 2012, 10:29 (Ref:3163687)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
Interesting to see that the guy who will take Vettel's records was 2nd...
Really? That good?
Old 7 Nov 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3163690)   #7
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently! And P1 this morning I believe.

But hype has been known to be wrong....... (in my opinion, not in this case, but time will tell)
Old 7 Nov 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3163691)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Really? That good?
not really, he's just sucking up to him because he got schooled by the fella in the f3 race a couple of weeks ago
(sorry tristan )
Old 7 Nov 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3163701)   #9
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
Yup, he dominated completely. Several seconds per lap quicker. But then again, he should be!!!!!! I was quicker than the Kevin Korjus though (but he didn't know the circuit or the car, but that should only cost a few tenths)

But it's not just me that thinks he's that good!
Old 7 Nov 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3163734)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've watched him wipe the floor with everyone in 3.5 this season, he's definitely *really* good imo too. if he'd have been around all season i reckon he'd have been in the hunt, if not taking the title off the others. the step up between him and williamson before him was exaggerated by the car and he's got a lot more experience though. arguably his form this season in gp3 is a fine example of what red bull motivation can do for a driver.

but... he's really good. better than frijns, i think.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3163755)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
He is confirmed as fastest on the second day now, but Magnussen wasn't running. I think he is pretty exceptional, but probably not up to walking on water just yet. Although that's almost what he did at Snetterton, eh Tristan?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104095
Old 7 Nov 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3163785)   #12
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trevor Carlin says AFdC is the best driver he's ever had drive for him.

Yes, two professionals came to Snetterton in 2008-2011 era cars and showed club racers in older cars on a smaller budget how to do it. One of them went home after race 1, but AFdC took part in race 2.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3163789)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
In fairness, I understand he only went home due to budget constraints. He only did the race because it enabled him to get the Macau entry.

Off-topic, I think McLaren are abusing the system by using Gary Paffett more than any other driver. He's one of their designated test drivers, definitely not a Young Driver.

Last edited by strider; 7 Nov 2012 at 17:32.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 17:21 (Ref:3163793)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the only reason i'd disagree with that is that i guess it's important to make sure your simulator drivers can relate it to the real proper car. but it is totally and completely against the spirit of the test. at least kevin had a go though, when he's been quick this year he's been really quick
Old 8 Nov 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3164038)   #15
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Korjus must have been on an incredibly tight budget then as the team were already there, the car was there, he was there, the entry was paid for, so it would have been 20 minutes worth of fuel and whatever the cost is of 20 mins of Honda engine running vs the benefit of 20 mins more seat time.

If the fuel was an issue, the other teams would have had a whip round.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3164050)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i don't know why it's a problem that he didn't fancy the second race... anyone would think he hadn't earnt his f3 badge on his man card or something because of it

meanwhile, back in abu dhabi, robin frijns is thrashing a red bull, and alexander rossi is driving the caterham. gp2 champion davide valsecchi is having a go in a lotus.

see, that's a good line up. champions and young driver scheme guys.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3164126)   #17
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a slight aside, does anyone know if Razia and Cecotto Jr have any previous links to Toro Rosso?
Just wondering why STR chose those two guys.
Razia is definitely deserving of a run being GP2 runner-up, but still, he has/had links to Caterham (and Marussia as well I think) at one point.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3164130)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i don't believe it's anything more than having the right size wallet. they did the same thing last year and tested drivers for the sake of it (i want to say it was ceccon and coletti but i'm not sure if that's right), rather than to work out if they're worth having a future with.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3164233)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
see, that's a good line up. champions and young driver scheme guys.
Yes. I agree and the outcome was pleasing:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104114

But the basic problem remains:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104116

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104117
Old 9 Nov 2012, 02:13 (Ref:3164334)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Using these young driver tests as testing time for the remaining Grand Prix...
Old 9 Nov 2012, 02:35 (Ref:3164338)   #21
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i don't believe it's anything more than having the right size wallet. they did the same thing last year and tested drivers for the sake of it (i want to say it was ceccon and coletti but i'm not sure if that's right), rather than to work out if they're worth having a future with.
Coletti was one of them. Don't know about Ceccon. As far as Razia, I think he's linked with Arden and Christian Horner than either RBR or Caterham, and this is a treat for such a good season in GP2. Money is likely involved but had he been racing with Ocean or something I doubt he would have gotten the test.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3164869)   #22
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I'm aware Razia has been doing Red Bull sim work this year, and he has the links with Horner/Arden too.

Cecotto - probably money. I'm surprised they didn't give da Costa a day in the Toro Rosso the day Frijns was running in the Red Bull.

And I'm also surprised they didn't give Sainz or Kyvat a go.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3164992)   #23
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i've watched him wipe the floor with everyone in 3.5 this season, he's definitely *really* good imo too. if he'd have been around all season i reckon he'd have been in the hunt, if not taking the title off the others. the step up between him and williamson before him was exaggerated by the car and he's got a lot more experience though. arguably his form this season in gp3 is a fine example of what red bull motivation can do for a driver.

but... he's really good. better than frijns, i think.
My cousin raced in the VAG Trophy at the MSVR weekend at Snetterton a couple of weekend's ago in the same meet as Tristan's. (less said about my cousin's results the better sadly) I like to follow the other events too and his performances in the F3 cup (already mentioned I've just realised!) *ahem* sure got my attention! I agree that he is definatly one to watch.

Last edited by maximus; 10 Nov 2012 at 22:12. Reason: Just noticed that the F3 Cup had already been mentioned so changed to reflect that (MUST NOT SKIM READ!!)
Old 10 Nov 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3165022)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
the only reason i'd disagree with that is that i guess it's important to make sure your simulator drivers can relate it to the real proper car. but it is totally and completely against the spirit of the test.
As I said in the flexible wing thread, I don't believe the teams should be expected to care about the spirit of the rules.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:38 (Ref:3165064)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
As I said in the flexible wing thread, I don't believe the teams should be expected to care about the spirit of the rules.
You are correct!

If you designed a car with "the spirit of the rules" in mind. You would never win anything!

This is the legal and illegal business!