Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:12 (Ref:4172685)   #26
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The last 19 posts have absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic.A new record!
Meanwhile question is why haven’t the usual motor racing web sites picked up on the sale -prospective or done deal?
Am not sure why they should pick up a story about an unsolicited bid?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:36 (Ref:4172692)   #27
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Am not sure why they should pick up a story about an unsolicited bid?
You have never read the Business pages of a newspaper?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 10:23 (Ref:4172701)   #28
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
You have never read the Business pages of a newspaper?
This isn't a business where hostile takeovers are possible, unlike traditional business or publicly traded companies.
Old 15 Aug 2023, 07:14 (Ref:4172837)   #29
Mixer
Veteran

Publicity stunt?

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/08/15...DfnsUlk83sx7ZE
Old 15 Aug 2023, 08:11 (Ref:4172846)   #30
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
So seems like the supposed bid (so far anyway) comprises of both smoke AND mirrors. Speedcafe has done good work in that article - thanks for sharing Mixer.

Some good investigation, clearly taking the trouble to speak to a number of stakeholders / interested parties and it appears that nothing happening at this stage or maybe ever.....
Old 15 Aug 2023, 10:40 (Ref:4172852)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Where is the quote from a Shahin’s family member?
One of them was a captive audience in the QR paddock all weekend
Are they scared to ask?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Aug 2023, 19:42 (Ref:4172910)   #32
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Are they scared to ask?
It's funny isn't it? In most cases you'd talk up a prospective buyer and what it implies for the series (ie. desirable to buy), but for some reason not this time...
Old 16 Aug 2023, 01:57 (Ref:4172937)   #33
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Are they scared to ask?
Given the number of "out there" statements that have come out of the Shahin stable (although to be fair, that was a while ago) with an alternate general propensity to not disclose much, maybe the thought was that there wasn't a whole lot of point approaching them, when approaching those who were spoken to would give a clear indication on whether it was "real" or not.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 02:23 (Ref:4172945)   #34
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’d hardly be taking a Speedcafe article as an impartial reporting of what’s going on here.

Not too say Supercars is being sold of course, but that article comes across shockingly biased.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 04:26 (Ref:4172950)   #35
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
7eleven was sold reently.
Its been for sale, I havent seen its new owner IF the deal is done.
Are you suggesting the Shahin family have bought it ?
Old 16 Aug 2023, 04:49 (Ref:4172951)   #36
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
The current, uh.... situation may be causing the new owners buyers remorse.

I'm all for it, but it has to be a clean house. No Skaife advisory positions please
I had my doubts when Craig Kelly left the scene to be CE0 at AFL club Collingwood. Jeff Browne is the Chairman there & still involved with Walkinshaws.

Last edited by cavvy; 16 Aug 2023 at 04:58.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 05:48 (Ref:4172954)   #37
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Its been for sale, I havent seen its new owner IF the deal is done.
Are you suggesting the Shahin family have bought it ?
Not at all, I just thought that it had been sold and that it might be what GTR was referring to.
Old 17 Aug 2023, 23:44 (Ref:4173166)   #38
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Shahin responds to Supercars buy-out rumour

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/08/17...uy-out-rumour/
Old 19 Aug 2023, 01:57 (Ref:4173281)   #39
Mixer
Veteran

Whether it's true or not I wish I had the good fortune to be born into the position they were, and the boardroom nous to grow their businesses the way they have, so I could invest so heavily into the sport I love, like they do.

We're lucky to have guys like the Shahins and Tony Quinn who do such a good job making money they can spend eye watering sums on things that we get to enjoy.

No doubt I'd love to have a beer with Tony Quinn.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 02:10 (Ref:4173283)   #40
Ares
Racer

Ares should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Whether it's true or not I wish I had the good fortune to be born into the position they were, and the boardroom nous to grow their businesses the way they have, so I could invest so heavily into the sport I love, like they do.

We're lucky to have guys like the Shahins and Tony Quinn who do such a good job making money they can spend eye watering sums on things that we get to enjoy.

No doubt I'd love to have a beer with Tony Quinn.
You will be buying
Old 19 Aug 2023, 04:20 (Ref:4173295)   #41
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
You will be buying
You ain't wrong with that but as a business owner myself I really admire these guys.

TQ has done it again and again.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 09:17 (Ref:4173313)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You ain't wrong with that but as a business owner myself I really admire these guys.

Mr Quinn & co built a whole category in chilled pet foods in supermarkets.. and brought the big retailers along on the journey to making it a strong profit centre for their retail stores.

And saved the Darrell Lea brand from extinction.

And built that beef jerky brand

Lucky 3 times.. or pretty bloody good?
Old 19 Aug 2023, 10:12 (Ref:4173328)   #43
Mixer
Veteran

Sold the Pet Food business for a huge profit, new owners destroyed it, bought it back cheap, fixed it up again, sold for another whopping profit.

Has done the same with pet food businesses in the US too.

Ruthless and smart.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 10:14 (Ref:4173330)   #44
Ares
Racer

Quote:

I had been around TQ a couple of times in the past. You wouldn't look twice at him in a room, you wouldn't really know he has money, not showy at all. One thing for sure, when he buys a track, getting in without a ticket or pass is a thing of the past. Everyone pays. I don't think even Jackie Stewart would get in for free, Tony would probably ask to sign a tee-shirt for him and then make him pay for it. If you are working at one of his facilities, best you treat it like it is his home. If you were to do something he didn't like, you would be sure you would hear about it. I'd say if you were to give him a pitch, you'd need to get him with the first two sentences.

I have had one conversation with TQ. That was with him screaming in my face, It's quite poetic that Scottish accent when every second word starts with F. He can string a few sentences together as well. Just the wrong place at the wrong time, considering I'd probably taken about twenty steps at his track, and been there about one minute. He spends the money, and the tracks and facilities always look top class.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 10:20 (Ref:4173332)   #45
Ares
Racer

Quote:
Sold the Pet Food business for a huge profit, new owners destroyed it, bought it back cheap, fixed it up again, sold for another whopping profit.

Has done the same with pet food businesses in the US too.

Ruthless and smart.
Yes, ruthless would be a very good word. You get that vibe for sure.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 10:27 (Ref:4173333)   #46
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
Yes, ruthless would be a very good word. You get that vibe for sure.
The Darrell Lea story is classic. Family ran it into the ground doing everything they had always done, but the world had changed.

TQ got rid of everything that was losing money, invested in new production facilities, streamlined route to market, and sold a chunk but not all of the business for $200m.

The best bit is that I still love Darrell Lea, it didn't have to die, and now you can get it at Coles on special!
Old 19 Aug 2023, 11:50 (Ref:4173345)   #47
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was there any word of this on the ten-hour telecast today?'

If there was, I didn't catch it. Perhaps the TV team ran out of time to mention it.
Old 19 Aug 2023, 13:46 (Ref:4173358)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post

If there was, I didn't catch it. Perhaps the TV team ran out of time to mention it.
V8Supercar Television is a business unit if the series…
Not likely…
Old 20 Aug 2023, 07:09 (Ref:4173435)   #49
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post

When you have state owned television coverage, you only have to tell people what you want them to know.

It’s surprising, given their coverage of AFL & NRL, that FOX Sports are happy with this angle of coverage. It’s embarrassing.

Quote:
V8Supercar Television is a business unit if the series…
Not likely…
Is Supercars Media wholly owned by Supercars or a separate entity? Is Airtime Media a sub-contractor or have a bigger role?
Old 31 Oct 2023, 10:47 (Ref:4183830)   #50
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry I can’t link it but there is an article in the business section of The Australian today that paints a very grim picture about the long and short term financial position of RACE.
Multi million dollar losses and the financial report casts a lot of doubt on their ability to service their near $50million of debt going forward.