Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Aug 2003, 21:04 (Ref:683856)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1983 Brabham BMW - did it use illegal fuel?

If it did, then those Brabham guys are even cleverer than the Benetton guys from 1994.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 00:15 (Ref:683927)   #2
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall they were the first to seriously try special fuel for turbo engines.I don't think it was in any way illegal at the time.
As i recall(could be wrong),prost and renault had the lead in the WDC but BMW overtook them.I do remember prost warning renault that BMW were getting ahead but renault didn't do much.
--I think it got him sacked at the end of the year...can't remember.
The fuels they started using at the time were simply to get more power from the engine.Later on in '85/86 when fuel tank sizes were reduced(no refueling back then)they started using special 'heavy' fuels.The weight of the fuel wasn't the intention-it was because they needed as much energy value per litre so they were made up of toluene+ other additives
Old 10 Aug 2003, 01:39 (Ref:683949)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
As it was 20 years ago, the question shouldn't be "did it use illegal fuel" as oppossed to "does it really matter anyway?"
Old 10 Aug 2003, 02:24 (Ref:683963)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You were allowed to use all sorts of weird blends for fuel in those days.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 02:35 (Ref:683966)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Shouldn't this thread be in historic?
Old 10 Aug 2003, 04:57 (Ref:684006)   #6
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then that thread about overtaking should be in historic too
Old 10 Aug 2003, 05:29 (Ref:684020)   #7
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Specifically, the fuel formulation was to prevent detonation at high boost levels. If you could run higher boost pressures, then you could make more horsepower. The best guess for the BMW 1.5L turbo was 1,430hp to 1,450. BMW was not exactly sure as their dyno could only absorb 1,400hp. Amazing! From only 91cu in and with a production based block. Stout. Very Stout!
Old 10 Aug 2003, 09:16 (Ref:684085)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The only rule concerning fuel in those days related to Octane rating. As such the highest marketed octane fuel was five star (105?) and therefore as long as you met that rating your fuel could be made up of just about any nasties you could think of.

I remeber the black smog that hung behind Piquet's Brabahm as it qualified at Brands Hatch. Also the Brabham team were the first to (re) introduce refuelling and therefore the first to give the pit crew breathing apparatus in case of leaks/spillage.