Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Aug 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1693113)   #26
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Right now it is what we have to offer..So we should make the best of it, stop moaning and groaning and get on with giving the fans a good show..
Old 26 Aug 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1693153)   #27
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
One name for "Turn 8" could be "Max" because it turns and turns endlessly always in the same direction (anticlockwise).
Old 26 Aug 2006, 23:56 (Ref:1693168)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
Not in any particular order, but:
  • 130R at Suzuka
  • Corkscrew at Lagua Seca
  • the original Eau Rouge at Spa
  • Turkey Turn 8.

Other nominees for great turns?
130R and Corkscrew have both been emasculated. And Eau Rouge is no longer the challenge it was.

Turkey's "Turn 8" is probably the biggest challenge in F1 now.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1693169)   #29
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
One name for "Turn 8" could be "Max" because it turns and turns endlessly always in the same direction (anticlockwise).
Nice suggestion !
Old 27 Aug 2006, 01:29 (Ref:1693209)   #30
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
And Eau Rouge is no longer the challenge it was.
Thanks for the support. That is precisely why I specified the original Eau Rouge.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 01:30 (Ref:1693210)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And your point is?
Old 27 Aug 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1693216)   #32
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And your point is?
A small white point exactly in the middle of Eau Rouge...
Old 27 Aug 2006, 01:42 (Ref:1693217)   #33
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
And your point is?
Can you elaborate on your question?
Old 27 Aug 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1693747)   #34
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No argument then about the other newer tracks. 1/4 or 2/5 venues, not bad Bernie. Keep up the mediocre work.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 02:03 (Ref:1694229)   #35
Obi Offiah
Rookie

Obi Offiah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Tilke still screwed up with the last three corners though.
Hi Peter

Originally I would have agreed with you. I've seen noticed that that last Mickey Mouse complex provides quite a good overtaking opportunity. After a good slipstream down the fast straight, if your opponent defends their position there's an opportunity in that complex to get underneath them at the left hand last corner.

Obi
Old 28 Aug 2006, 04:21 (Ref:1694251)   #36
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I say we call it the Centrifuge.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1695363)   #37
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't they give a larger banking around the outside of more corners. I'm sure it could be constructed so that a wide line and the tranditional line can be taken at the same speed.

The different lines would mean that their would be less "dirty air" for the following driver as they could take the alternative line.

Hope that makes sense (it does in my head).
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1695374)   #38
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Turn 8 should be known as 'Kebab Corner'
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1695379)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Offiah
Hi Peter

Originally I would have agreed with you. I've seen noticed that that last Mickey Mouse complex provides quite a good overtaking opportunity. After a good slipstream down the fast straight, if your opponent defends their position there's an opportunity in that complex to get underneath them at the left hand last corner.

Obi
Agreed about the last corner, but the rest of that complex mitigates against a good slipstream into the first corner.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1695491)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattA1
Turn 8 should be known as 'Kebab Corner'
Is that because if you over do it with either,the consequences are pretty much the same?
Old 28 Aug 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1695533)   #41
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Precicely.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 02:57 (Ref:1695945)   #42
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
However Spa, if anything, is being dummed down with its tarmac run offs (once upon a time running wide at pouhon was scary - no longer).
Peter, that could almost be another thread on on its own. With the amount of tarmac in runoff areas now drivers are able to make mistakes and get away with it where once it wasa race over. Kubica and Webber on the weekend were a case in point. I think it was around turn 4 or 5, whilst Webber ran wide and rejoined almost straightaway Kubica ran most of the corner and part of the straight on the "green grass" before rejoining. I recall seeing a GP2 race I think it was at Hockenheim and half the field was using the tarmac outside the kerbing as part of the race track.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 04:01 (Ref:1695949)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Kubica Webber thing was quite interesting. It was clear to me the Webber was concentrating so much on hassling Kubica he forgot to turn into the corner. Had he done so he would have passed Kubica at that time.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1695954)   #44
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The Kubica Webber thing was quite interesting. It was clear to me the Webber was concentrating so much on hassling Kubica he forgot to turn into the corner. Had he done so he would have passed Kubica at that time.
I thought that as well but shortly after the commentators said Button and I think Fisi went off at turn 8 on the same lap so something else may have contributed.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 06:14 (Ref:1695978)   #45
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Besides, it is a most common mistake that you concentrate on your opponent and suddenly make the same errors he does. Of course that shouldn't happen in F1, but it does frequently. We normally just don't notice it in that extreme due to it being in slower corners with less consequences.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1696766)   #46
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi
Besides, it is a most common mistake that you concentrate on your opponent and suddenly make the same errors he does. Of course that shouldn't happen in F1, but it does frequently. We normally just don't notice it in that extreme due to it being in slower corners with less consequences.
Quite so. There is a tendency to watch the car ahead of you - and you instinctively have your car go where you look. The various driving schools focus on breaking drivers of this habbit, but I believe it is almost instinctive.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1698142)   #47
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Not sure what the cause was, but Webber actually had a moment there, and got quite sideways. Quite different to simply forgetting to turn into the corner. Look at the replay and you'll see him opposite-locking to save it.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 01:11 (Ref:1698146)   #48
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Given what happened with Kimi, all that tarmac isn't necessarily enough to preven crash. Thus, I'd also say having so much paved run-off is kind of pointless. Also, it doesn't help the spectator experience, the scenery around the track, or the track's atmosphere.

If you want, I'll start another thread about the emasculating corners. I will note a few things though. I don't think there is, as of yet, a prodigious amount of run-off at the Corkscrew, so if you go off, there is still a decent chance of being out of luck. And I don't believe the corner configuration itself has changed. As to Eau Rouge, except for that last bit of paved run-off to the right at the top of the hill, all that tarmac won't save you if you go off. And I'm pretty certain Eau Rouge proper hasn't changed in configuration either. It may appear that it has changed in certain camera shots, but most of the photos, old and new, that I have seen of Eau Rouge are taken from a rather head-on position, which foreshortens the appearance of the "straight" you are look down, and that will make deviations from that straight look particularly acute. Oh, and the truly original section at that hill hasn't been used since 1938.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1698432)   #49
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like the paved runoffs. I'd rather watch a guy goin around again for another shot at a pass than yellow flags waving and his car beached in the gravel somewhere.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 12:00 (Ref:1698437)   #50
gti5notrkt
Racer

gti5notrkt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about "Doner Spin" for Turkey T8?