Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 17 Sep 2003, 22:19 (Ref:722458)   #1
jadlamracing
Rookie

jadlamracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
National FF1600 Series

On October 22nd 2002 i sent a email to John Ward See Below with a idea for a national clubmans ff1600 series. They then organised a mini King of kents series for 2003 .Can all you FF1600 drivers who would be interested please contact BRSCC .

Hi John

Congratulations on a fantastic festival , especially the King Of Kent's which showed how much interest there is in Kent racing at club level.The Two heats and final provided the best racing with tremendous tussles all down the grid.Maybe next year we can have 3 heats and semi's as per the Zetec's ?
Having been at Brands from Thursday onwards I spent quite a bit of time talking to a number of competitors, the general view was that the Kent drivers want a chance to race at other circuits in a separate BRSCC organised championship.
They appear to not want, & cannot afford to make a costly & possibly short lived move to Zetec cars, preferring to run their more cost effective Kent cars.
Are you as competition manager prepared to consider the BRSCC organising a National championship for Kent's?
This must not interfere with the already successful local circuit championships but would give drivers the opportunity to race against other drivers from around the country.
I have taken the liberty to put together a basic plan based on 5 rounds, all double headers spaced out during the year, looking at this years calendar it would have been possible to race and not clash with any of the other Formula Ford 1600 Kent championships except at the circuit raced.
By only having 5 rounds , all double headers keeps the costs down , this would not stop drivers doing their local championships in addition to the national championship. There would be no problem filling the grids as many drivers who do not want to do the whole championship would race in their local championship and the national one . This format would also provide young drivers with the experience of good competition at all the circuits before moving on to something else.
Many Zetec teams also run Kent cars so this would also provide an added income for them & BRSCC in additional entry fees.
I am confident you would be able to attract the best Kent drivers and provide 30 plus grids and a excellent income for the BRSCC.
The proposed championship would fit in well with the successful Castle Combe Carnival and King Of Kent's.
I am confident that with Dominics help a sponsor could be found, & you are not looking for huge ammounts.
Now that there is no longer any serious problem with 1600 engine parts supplies and with many new cars being converted for next year the future for kents look a lot more healthier than Zetecs, & In view of Fords current attitude to motor sport in general and Zetec in particular their statements that there will be no money whatsoever forthcoming for Zetec ensures the slow and steady decline in interest in racing this far more expensive class of car.
Formula Ford 1600 Kent has in exactly the same time frame shown itself to be the junior formulae class of choice, for both old and newly emerging club competitors .
John, I am not privy to the number of entries that could have been accepted for the festival, but feel fairly sure that there was certainly a good number of other drivers who were not able to obtain an entry, this all represents a loss of revenue to BRSCC.
I know there was a super classic championship existing before, but this had too many rounds and clashed with all the other FF 1600 local championships .
I have spoken at length to Tony Broster for two reasons, firstly he is very heavily involved with the FFI people in manufacture & supply of parts, & secondly as ARP manager, Bros suggested you may wish to run the Kents alongside the ARP series & provide an excellent BRSCC single seater programme.
However if this Kent idea went ahead, I do not think we should let the dates clash with the local FF 1600 championships, could the dates be arranged as such?.
I realise the races will have to fitted in on the days but the suggested dates for this past year are below.
John, we all know that Kent went through a slow patch, & has emerged stronger than for many years, with 5 chassis manufacturers now turning their attention to the much needed production of new chassis, & with parts supplies now a thing of the past I do ask you & others in the senior levels of the "premier club" to give some serious thought & consideration to my proposal to re constitute a National Championship.

13th April Oulton park
3rd June Castle Combe
18th August Brands Hatch
22nd Sept Snetterton
26th October Donnington

I trust you may seriously consider this for for 2003 ?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 08:08 (Ref:722749)   #2
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any chance for 2004 then?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:22 (Ref:722980)   #3
jadlamracing
Rookie

jadlamracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ring up John Ward and ask him .
Old 18 Sep 2003, 13:45 (Ref:723058)   #4
JR Ewing
Veteran

gave me a load of ********. i've no idea what he meant!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 14:55 (Ref:723116)   #5
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ditto - not too sure what he was on about!! Another idea is why don;t they homogenize the classes (ie pre86 post 86 and post 95 or something along those lines) and make a national league table along the lines of the NFFC/SFFC champs this year. And then have a run off somewhere neutral like Rockingham.

Also, who remembers the old Irish vs English races at OUtlon many moons ago - surely something similar can be adopted by the regional series...
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:01 (Ref:723124)   #6
JR Ewing
Veteran

yeah, but what will they do with what is still by far the best supported single-seater class in the UK?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 18:12 (Ref:723298)   #7
dhart
Racer

dhart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The NW and Coombe series work because they do exactly what they say on the tin, they are regional and more affordable, the king of kents was great because it has just a handfull of rounds at great circuits and these are great away days.
I look after a car in the midland series as well and it doesnt work because it has too many rounds at too many circuits, 8 rounds at mallory used to be great add maybe a donnington and silverstone but no more than that.
The shame of it is that the midland series is the best run and has great support from its sponsor, make it affordable and it might work again-was great to see an 84 reynard blow off all the midland regulars at oulton though!
Forget a multi round national series though it wont get the regular support
Old 18 Sep 2003, 18:44 (Ref:723334)   #8
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at other threads on this forum makes me wonder whether we are talking to the right people, ie the BRSCC....OK Combe and SoM are run by respective centres, not from HQ. It will be interesting to see the turnout for the BRDC thrash at Silverstone in November...
Old 18 Sep 2003, 20:24 (Ref:723455)   #9
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My personal opinion is that the 750MC could run a sustainable and healthy Kent series, just look at the entries levels for their meetings and compare entry fees with the BRSCC............
Old 18 Sep 2003, 21:43 (Ref:723535)   #10
dhart
Racer

Good call ,if the centres are to loose their control of meetings and BRSCC HQ (who couldnt organise a whip round in an accountants practice) take over i think you will see the BARC and 750 mc becoming the competitors favorite. I stoped my BRSCC racing membership after 10+years when i witnesed them squander my membership on eurocars a pathetic non event , with no one taking the wrap for losing so much money. I hope the BRDC meeting in nov is well supported , i have at least 2 cars going and rooms booked in the green man already!
Old 22 Sep 2003, 07:24 (Ref:726061)   #11
JR Ewing
Veteran

Not the 750MC!
One of the best things about BRSCC Regional Champs is the regular crowd and support and good race slots.

The 750MC would have you as race 19 and the peak crowd for the day would be 3 sheep and one old bloke with his dog who's got lost...
Old 22 Sep 2003, 12:43 (Ref:726361)   #12
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently asked if the BARC would consider a FF1600 championship, and was told that they will be running the Classic FF championshp next year instead of jointly with the BRSCC. But no plans for a championship for later cars.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 15:07 (Ref:726538)   #13
dhart
Racer

JR, You need to get out of southfork more often,there aint no crowds at oulton! and when the 750mc come they run a slick operation, perhaps thats why their entry fees are so much cheaper - just as many laps,sometimes more on the same bit of tarmac,
Barny,i asked the BRSCC last year (John Ward) to open up the classic series to pre87 cars as the grids had been sparce. only 2 regular runners in class A(pre74), prehaps the BARC would consider it - would bring it more into line with europe and maintain full grids and hopefully the series would flourish. IE-class A for pre81 cars and classB for pre87 cars.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:18 (Ref:726617)   #14
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
One of the best things about BRSCC Regional Champs is the regular crowd and support and good race slots.

The 750MC would have you as race 19 and the peak crowd for the day would be 3 sheep and one old bloke with his dog who's got lost...
I assume you don't get to Oulton very often? 750MC gets as good a crowd as any club.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:34 (Ref:726634)   #15
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The old "we're too big for the 750MC" attitude eh JR? What would you rather have, more track time for less dosh, or more people to wave at while you are racing?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:44 (Ref:726645)   #16
JR Ewing
Veteran

Well bugger me. I'm not a regular at Oulton I must admit and, while crowds are by no means vital, they are enjoyable.

My experiences of the 750MC are full of over-promising and under-delivering. Notionally cheaper entries. Terrible timetabling, appalingly presented cars, shortened qualifiers, bad organisation and rude and arrogant management.

Noenetheless I do agree that the National FF1600 should be a series of 4 to 6 double headers or better 'Festival' formats and if the BRSCC won't do it maybe someone else (pref the BARC) should grasp the bull by the horns.

To not appear too vain, the crowd issue is mainly one of professionalism with sponsors and supporters. BRSCC feels like Division 2 and 3 football, while the 750MC feels like a reserve team runout...
Old 22 Sep 2003, 17:01 (Ref:726673)   #17
Barny
Racer

Quote:
IE-class A for pre81 cars and classB for pre87 cars.
Pre '90 would be good!

And on the subject off the 750MC v BARC, when I compared them a few years ago the 750MC worked out more expensive, not sure if that is still the case though?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 18:02 (Ref:726779)   #18
dhart
Racer

Yea pre 90 in its heyday was very competitive and i think a VD 86 or Reynard 84+can still give great racing even against the later VD"S etc
Old 22 Sep 2003, 18:53 (Ref:726850)   #19
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So can a VD89, an ideal pre 90 car as some talented people have proved in the past. Sorry to see that BARC are only interested in Classic FF1600, I suppose that it fits nicely with their Classic raceday package. It's probably only semantics, but the term Championship seems to be a bit of a turn off, however if you talk about a series then people become interested. I would far rather deal with BARC who seem to be far more professional when it comes to race organisation. If enough people were to lobby them is there any chance that they may re-consider? What do people think?

Last edited by verglas; 22 Sep 2003 at 18:55.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 11:41 (Ref:727581)   #20
Barny
Racer

Verglas,
I am sure if there is enough interest shown they would consider it, not only are they more proffessional but are nicer to deal with and cheaper.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 13:20 (Ref:727721)   #21
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
OK - so is someone going to make an approach to the BARC to set up a national mini series ..... Maybe they can have a meeting to guage support at either the FFest or the Silverston meet...
Old 23 Sep 2003, 14:11 (Ref:727771)   #22
Barny
Racer

I have already sent an e-mail to Dave Wells, Competion Manager at the BARC suggesting he considers FF1600, if others do the same he might listen, his address is dwells@barc.net
Old 23 Sep 2003, 16:01 (Ref:727847)   #23
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
Barny - emailed Dale - the reponse was that the BRSCC organise these events and will be put together by John Ward.
Old 24 Sep 2003, 16:20 (Ref:728846)   #24
Barny
Racer

Well the more of us who enquire the better, if enough people approach the BARC they may listen.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:52 (Ref:729637)   #25
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just emailed the wells meister.