Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3063504)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Help wanted - Current FIA oversized suit required for good cause!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-e21
FIA approved overalls

I have just had it brought to my attention that the Proban race suit I had made a few months ago is now obsolete and that I now need an FIA approved suit in time for Crystal Palace at the end of May.

As far as I can see, it will cost around £400+ to have a suit made as being of generous proportions an 'off the shelf' suit simply will not fit.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a budget suit or, better still, is there anyone who has a suit that might fit that they no longer need? I am using the Crystal Palace event to raise money for the Cornwall Air Ambulance and obviously cannot compete unless I find a suit.

I am 6' 2, 46'' waist and have very broad shoulders. Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Thank you chaps.
and:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-e21
If it's OK, I thought I would make a quick mention of why I wish to raise funds for Cornwalls Air Ambulance. In December 04' I was in a terrible accident on the A30. Unfortunately my car struck a lamp post and this resulted in my breaking my neck in 2 places, my back in 2 places, fractured skull and a shattered pelvis. I also suffered massive internal injuries and severed a blood vessel in my groin. Had it not been for the crew of the CAA pulling me from the burning wreckage and operating on me, at the roadside, in order to stem the blood loss, I would not be sat here today.
I spent a month in a coma and the following year in Treliske Hospital in Truro. The care I received was fantastic and after extensive surgeries, I am back to 80% mobility and able to achieve my goal of sprinting my old BMW at club level. I still have some medical issues and walk with a stick, but I try not to let those little things stop me doing the things I enjoy. Crystal Palace last year was my first ever event and a massive personal achievement. The journey from being bedridden and unable to move anything but my eyes and arms was slow and painful, but waiting for that first green light was fantastic and a feeling I will hold dear for a good few years. It hadn't been all that long ago that I had been fighting for my life.

So, a year later, I guess I just want to do a little something to say thank-you. If I can use my story, my car and an event like Crystal Palace to raise some much needed funds, then I am proud to be able to do so. I would also like to thank everyone who has made a positive remark and committed to making a donation on the day.
See here for full thread:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132826

Now, I've never met Mark, but we have exchanged messages over recent years since we both own one of the 3 TWR BMW E21 road cars built. I did not know of Mark's accident nor indeed that he had placed the above thread in the Sprint/Hillclimb forum until he sent me an e-mail recently. I've noted that one or two of our posters who visit our forum have already responded to Mark, but since I reckon it's for a good cause, I thought that I'd put it in here here for a wider audience to see.

Is there any way we can help Mark, here?

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Apr 2012 at 09:31. Reason: Additional notes.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3063619)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Got an out of date one but what use is that???? Damned silly rules its exactly the same as my current one lol!
Old 22 Apr 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3063625)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually Al, a Norme 86 is fine for speed events.

However, I've got Mark's sizes and they are a challenge which is why I can't help him, they don't match what he gave on Tenths. When I get in the office tomorrow I'll PM you his sizes and you can measure your old suit, but I'm not sure it'll be big enough.

Max
Old 22 Apr 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3063679)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
He must be a big old lad then, mine is the same size as the one you sold me Max and I think you let me have it for a good price as it was in stock awhile because of the size of the thing!
Old 22 Apr 2012, 15:33 (Ref:3063712)   #5
Mark-e21
Rookie

Mark-e21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi chaps, first off thank you for trying to help me with this. People have been very kind in trying to find a solution to this and it is appreciated. I should have done more research on proposed rule changes when I bought a Proban suit last Autumn.

I am a bit of a lump though and my vitals are as follows.

Height 6' 3'
Chest 54
Waist 50
Hips 54
Thigh 32
Bicep 19
Throat to waist 27
Inside leg 29

I spent a long time in a wheelchair and my shoulders / upper body are pretty big as a result. My thighs/ legs remain swollen after extensive surgery. I also put on some weight which has been hard to shift with limited mobility. Mind you, I am trying to lose weight though and mobility is getting better! They said I was unlikely to walk again so I'm pretty chuffed to be able to get by with a stick.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3063792)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Chest will fit you as I am the same size, I will measure up and get back on rest. I am only 6ft tall though so not sure about leg, I am not as big around waist but getting up there thats for sure. I am pretty sure it was the largest off shelf one they did.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3064053)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Mark if you can get over to Watford anytime you can try it on thats probably the best solution.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3064110)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll contra a years banner advertising on Tenths (~€400 worth) for anyone that can get a suit, new or used, that'll fit Mark.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3064128)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Generous gesture from the owners of this site. Many thanks, MagnetON.

Thread also copied to the Racers forum with permission.

Last edited by John Turner; 23 Apr 2012 at 09:58.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 05:12 (Ref:3064635)   #10
Mark-e21
Rookie

Thank you so much chaps. Thanks to your generosity here a solution has been offered and I should have the details confirmed later today. I really am extremely grateful to all of you, for your offers of help and you all have my sincere thanks.

Mark Brown
Old 24 Apr 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3064675)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Good luck Mark enjoy the event.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 18:51 (Ref:3065520)   #12
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are not yet sorted let me know, I bought a suit about 3 years ago but it was far too big for me (I am 6`5"....) and so is now redundant, Sure it will strill be in date. Yours if you want it. Alex
Old 7 May 2012, 07:48 (Ref:3070515)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Received from Mark, a few dyas ago, and with his permission, I post it here:-

'Hi John,

I went and saw Alex on Saturday. He kindly gave me a suit and although I could get it on, I couldn't sit down, In fact, it looked like it had been sprayed on and if nothing else, it gave my Mrs a laugh. Alex suggested I sell it and donate the money, which is what I have done.

All was not lost though. Thanks to the offer by the forum hosts, Mode Racewear just came up trumps for me and just informed me that Sabelt are making me a suit.

Thank you for your help John. It is much appreciated
.'

Thanks to all who offered help and it is pleasing to see a positive outcome.
Old 7 May 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3070544)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark, again amazing story and a great cause. Our farm borders the A30 and so I grew up seeing the carnage and the results of it. The Cornwall Air Ambulance has saved countless lives, both of our own people and visitors and is vital given the geographical nature of our home. When my Grandad fell off the barn roof they saved his life, with a road ambulance despite the fact we can see the lights of Treliske he wouldn't have survived, if not for the speed of CAA response.

Hadn't seen your reply in other thread with donation page, for others who haven't seen it, 'ere tis!
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund...rl=MarkBrown12
Old 29 May 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3081024)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How did it go on Sunday??
Old 6 Jun 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3086292)   #16
Mark-e21
Rookie

Hi guys,

Apologies for the late reply but have been in Cornwall.

The whole Crystal Palace event was terrific and hats off to the organisers who made both days run like clockwork. The weather could not have been better and there was a great mix of cars, both competing and showing.

My old BMW didn't miss a beat and thanks to the people here and at Mode, I was able to compete and managed a best of 5th in class. (race driver excuse number 1 - the other cars in my class were way more powerful so a 5th place was actually the best I could realistically have hoped for. )

There are still a few pledged donations to be collected and some cash I have to add to the current total here.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund...rl=MarkBrown12

I was able to go see the guys at Cornwall Air Ambulance Trust a few days ago and they asked me to pass my thanks on, to anyone making a donation.

Here are a few photos.

Old 7 Jun 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3086756)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Mark, well done. Thanks for update and pics. Car looks great, too.

Keep us posted on any further events that you are entered for.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3086767)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hear, hear.