Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Jun 2002, 15:21 (Ref:323701)   #1
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Thomas is well prepared!

When wandering round the paddock at Mondello, I noticed that Mark Thomas had a Transit minibus as a support vehicle. The whole thing was full of yellow bumpers!

That's called being prepared!
Old 28 Jun 2002, 15:39 (Ref:323714)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Is that the same one that they were using to try and straighten his chassis after he bent it (yet again) ?

They lashed one side of the car to their truck and the other to the minibus and pulled like buggery with the minibus... not sure if it succeeded in straightening anything, but they did succeed in breaking a ratchet strap!

Good old Mark Thomas. Looking back through some photographs I've taken this season earlier made me realise just how much damage he has done to that poor Honda. Makes Boardman seem like an angel
Old 28 Jun 2002, 15:47 (Ref:323722)   #3
Vatanen
Racer

What a waste of the runner up car from last year's BTC-P.

I think he's taking his rallycross style of driving onto the track by the looks of it.

I wonder how much spare parts Mark Lemmer sold to Beacon?

Last edited by Vatanen; 28 Jun 2002 at 15:49.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 15:54 (Ref:323728)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
York City Racing were in the running for those two cars at the start of the year. Considering what they have achieved you can only wonder where they'd be in the title race if they had got them rather than an old 1999 car and a Syncro car that was never as close to the front as the Barwell cars.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 15:56 (Ref:323729)   #5
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just happy for Thomas' safety that he wasn't driving a Barwell Accord last year!
Mark Lemmer would have given him a bit of verbal GBH in the earhole!
Old 28 Jun 2002, 20:18 (Ref:323885)   #6
Vatanen
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by nicker less
I'm just happy for Thomas' safety that he wasn't driving a Barwell Accord last year!
Mark Lemmer would have given him a bit of verbal GBH in the earhole!
Yes, as I'm sure visitors to the first Oulton Park meeting last year could vouch.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 20:54 (Ref:323916)   #7
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
They lashed one side of the car to their truck and the other to the minibus and pulled like buggery with the minibus... not sure if it succeeded in straightening anything, but they did succeed in breaking a ratchet strap!
I don't suppose Spooner had his video handy at that point did he???? Sounds like it could have made entertaining viewing
Old 28 Jun 2002, 21:49 (Ref:323951)   #8
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good looking Thomas car

Mark Thomas has wrecked the car at every meeting, but Chris still says that he is happy with his work (he must own a demolition firm on the quiet or sommet)having spoke to Chris apparently that car is an Ex-Tarquini Belgian Touring car.

This was on the same day he was dissapoited that TC was not overall at the bac, just back of the tourers, as his race plan revolved around Chilton taking out atleast 5 proddies hopefully non of them beacon cars.

Well this is the best pic I could get of Mark Thomas's car after a race this year. Oh and it's too big to attach, and there is no such thing as a good looking Thomas car after the race.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 22:03 (Ref:323964)   #9
Vatanen
Racer

Spencer Marsh's car is an ex Tarquini Spa 24 Hours car which was driven by Graves last year.

Thomas has James Kaye's old car.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 08:18 (Ref:324126)   #10
pv27uk
Racer

pv27uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
York City Racing were in the running for those two cars at the start of the year. Considering what they have achieved you can only wonder where they'd be in the title race if they had got them rather than an old 1999 car and a Syncro car that was never as close to the front as the Barwell cars.
When comparing what York City Racing & Beacon have achieved, might it not help that York City Racing have more experience? They ran in the series last year, while Beacon are a brand new team full stop.

Jim has a year's advantage of having raced the Honda, while Spencer & Mark are totally new to the series, cars etc. OK Mark has had his moments, but Spencer is doing very well (fairly unnoticed in some ways).

Also, am I right in thinking Thomas is fresh from a year in the (sparsely supported) secondary class of the Lotus Elise series, and this is his only circuit racing ever, after rallycross? Sure he won't stop having moments over night, but he has considerably less track experience than, say, Jim Jr. Plus, it normally takes two to tango, and he can't be solely guilty in every incident.

Surely the experience etc. will have helped York City Racing to some extent, at least early on. There are arguments for both sides - yes York City Racing have the older machinery, but OTOH Beacon are a brand new team with drivers new to the series.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 17:44 (Ref:324279)   #11
Reido Rules
Veteran

Beacon's performance has gone unnoticed at the top of the teams championship for a while and with Marsh second in the Championship, sure B&Q have older cars, but lets ask Chris Boon if he is willing to swap his experiance and budget with B&Q's, I bet he'd jump at it. Beacons budget is comparitively small and the team is doing a great job this year. Not only has Jim been in the series before it was with that very Honda (and he won a race) Peter Cate was in the series last year in a Honda.

I wonder if Boon can buy a football team.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 10:13 (Ref:325005)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
My point was that, if York City Racing had got their hands on the ex-Barwell cars, what would they have achieved with them ? Considering what a brand new team with no experience has achieved would it be too much to hope for that they could be closer to the breadvan than Beacon are now ? They were clearly better cars when we started the year and it would have been interesting...
Old 1 Jul 2002, 17:39 (Ref:325297)   #13
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Reido Rules
Not only has Jim been in the series before it was with that very Honda (and he won a race) Peter Cate was in the series last year in a Honda.
Other than the first couple of races Jim has the ex-Syncro car and Pete has Jim's old car which also dates back to one of the 99 Honda endurance machines.

Pete's car is quite different to Jims (causing problems with swapping wheels etc in early rounds) and much heavier. They also have different suspensions which cant help "teamwork".

I think both teams have done very well considering finance and resources.

...anyway what about next year. York City Racing Honda Civic Type R, York City Racing Vauxhall Astra or York City Racing MG all sound quite nice
Old 1 Jul 2002, 18:38 (Ref:325312)   #14
Reido Rules
Veteran

It may sound stupid but why has Jim not got his car???
Old 1 Jul 2002, 18:52 (Ref:325324)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Because it is something like 60kg overweight (the car ) and, as Jim was always team leader, it makes sense for him to have the best equipment and support; similar to Nick Beaumont last season.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 20:29 (Ref:325381)   #16
Vatanen
Racer

What has happened to Nick this year? Just out of curiosity.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 23:00 (Ref:325495)   #17
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when did team b&q enter the renault clio championship???????? i was quite surprised by the newsletter i received!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 23:04 (Ref:325499)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
We are supporting Jo Kraemer who is making her motorsport debut this season. She will be running under the banner of the 'York City Ladies Racing Team' in a bid to promote the ladies football team part of the empire. (in case you'd not noticed, Jo is from York and is a lady... )
Old 2 Jul 2002, 06:10 (Ref:325602)   #19
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
(ignore duplicate post)

Last edited by andy_b; 2 Jul 2002 at 06:12.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 06:11 (Ref:325604)   #20
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
We are supporting Jo Kraemer who is making her motorsport debut this season. She will be running under the banner of the 'York City Ladies Racing Team' in a bid to promote the ladies football team part of the empire. (in case you'd not noticed, Jo is from York and is a lady... )
any piccys about?
Old 2 Jul 2002, 10:07 (Ref:325730)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Very few at the moment Andy, so if anyone has any they want to share, let me know!

I have added a small section to the YCR website but the photos I have will follow shortly.