Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 4 May 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2455018)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING

"KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING" that's what the signs say an Australian Freeways and Motorways. So why do so many Australian drivers have trouble understanding it? Maybe it is my limited mentality but to me it is pretty self explanatory
Old 4 May 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2455028)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
"KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING" that's what the signs say an Australian Freeways and Motorways. So why do so many Australian drivers have trouble understanding it? Maybe it is my limited mentality but to me it is pretty self explanatory
Its simple...you pay 100K+ for your 4WD soft roader or luxury car and it comes with cruise...you get on the Freeway and set it.

Now

Its too much effort to travel on the left because you have to be aware of other roads users coming up on the right and it takes more effort working that power steering and indicator switch...

So

You set the speed you think you are comfortable with and stick to the right lane...

no matter what!!!
Old 5 May 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2455608)   #3
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Your right 275..

There would also seem to be an outbreak of neck problems with the above mentioned too. They seem to be completely incapable to move there heads a few degrees either way from straight ahead
Old 5 May 2009, 07:39 (Ref:2455631)   #4
xr8
Racer

Australia
sydney
xr8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NAH! I wish everybodt would stay in the right lane! That way as I always keep left I will have a clear run.
Old 5 May 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2455791)   #5
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's the same here - but I can understand why some people don't want to - prime example on Saturday when on a motorway, happily doing the speed limit in the inside lane because cars in front were doing same speed, junction [that I wanted] coming up, guy comes up to overtake me, realises he wants junction, starts pulling into the inside lane whilst alongside me - no indicating, nothing, just forced me to take avoiding action and then waved merrily after pulling in knowing what he'd done was taking the p. Drive in the inside lane as you should do, and you'll find yourself being cut up many times by people being impatient / wanting the junction and going from outside to inside lane, etc!
Old 6 May 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2456256)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I commute down the A34 everyday and its always the same. The 'overtaking lane' is full with cars doing 60mph, leaving the left lane free of traffic bar the odd lorry....

Maddens me.
Old 6 May 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2456349)   #7
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Overtaking in NZ on the left is legal, so here it is a real problem as too many drivers believe they don't need to keep left. At least the UK doesn't allow overtaking on the left or trucks in the right lane of a motorway, so generally, its a joy driving in the UK.

It's only when you drive overseas you realise just how good it is driving in England! Six weeks driving in the UK and you could probably strangle three or four bad drivers. In NZ, you only have to be on the road six minutes and you will have come across three or four total idiots.
Old 9 May 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2458844)   #8
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
I had the miss fortune of driving down the Hume Hwy late yesterday. Again they can't read signs. Maybe there should be literacy test when you go for a licence over here
Old 10 May 2009, 00:10 (Ref:2458854)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
This is a pet hate of mine - why can't everyone just keep to the left? It's not all that hard and makes a HUGE difference to traffic flow.

I know what you're saying with the cut in artists suze but to be honest, the same can happen in any lane.

Mind you, when I lived in Qld I didn't mind it so much as the left lane on motorways up there was so often completely empty. I used to refer to it as the "Queensland Fast Lane" and use it all the time. Then once people started keeping to the left it was filled up but there were still enough numbtys in the right lane to keep the rolling road blocks in place.

Ho hum, not much we can do about what other people are doing - just got ot grin an bear it.
Old 14 May 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2462677)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Depending on where you are in the world, in some countries it doesn't seem to matter what side of the road you drive on.
Several years ago I was in Grenada driving on a winding road and approaching a blind corner when I was confronted by a lorry completely on my side. I was told by the driver that everybody comes round that corner on that side because of a series of enormous pot holes on the proper side that had been there for years! After about a mile down the road there was a garage come breakers yard full up with written off wrecks, and I wondered if they were all hired holiday motors
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 May 2009, 01:00 (Ref:2462705)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Try living in Adelaide... In peak hour...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 May 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2462855)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!

Or India !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 May 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2462877)   #13
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Looks like Rose Bay on at Saturday morning
Old 16 May 2009, 07:15 (Ref:2463277)   #14
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Your move Gordon !
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 May 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2463484)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain

OK "TOUCHE"
Old 18 May 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2464322)   #16
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Try living in Adelaide... In peak hour...
... where peak hour only lasts an hour! (not 3)
Old 28 May 2009, 06:21 (Ref:2470694)   #17
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Subaru's seem to be a bit of a problem believing the out side lanes are for them
Old 12 Jun 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2481026)   #18
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back from Mauritius where I witnessed probably the worst driving I've ever seen. They drive on the left, but this seems to count for nothing on their dual carriageway. Under taking, hogging the right hand lane, unreal. Add into the mix overtaking on blind crests and tailgating at 70mph and I'm amazed I got to the airport in one piece...
Old 13 Jun 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2481482)   #19
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
Just got back from Mauritius where I witnessed probably the worst driving I've ever seen. They drive on the left, but this seems to count for nothing on their dual carriageway. Under taking, hogging the right hand lane, unreal. Add into the mix overtaking on blind crests and tailgating at 70mph and I'm amazed I got to the airport in one piece...
the man from Banbury is cross
Old 15 Jun 2009, 13:58 (Ref:2483779)   #20
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
this ****s me, i can do 100 with my P2 licence and stay left as much as possible, the otherday just after overtaking a P1 driver (restricted to 90 km/h doing the right thing mind you in the left lane) while i'm travelling along the M4 (one of Sydney's major motorway's) and there was a learner in the middle lane of 3 doing the 80 km/h learner's are restricted to i come up on the back of it and it still didn't move over and had plenty of opertunity to as i over took it by going into the left lane.

with learners in Aus they have to be accompanied by a fully licenced driver so obviously the numbnut teaching the learner is a useless driver unaware of the road rules so obviously the learner is definatly going to be a complete nuff nuff of a driver.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2483781)   #21
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
... where peak hour only lasts an hour! (not 3)
the other day i was in the city and it took me 2.5 hours to get home from the city to my house via Parramatta Rd M4 & M7, it usually takes about 45-50 mins in non-peak hour Parramatta road (along with Victoria Rd) has to be the worst in Aus it gets cloged and its horrible. then the M4 gets cloged and i don't think a day goes by without an accident on it.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 14:55 (Ref:2483813)   #22
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
the other day i was in the city and it took me 2.5 hours to get home from the city to my house via Parramatta Rd M4 & M7, it usually takes about 45-50 mins in non-peak hour Parramatta road (along with Victoria Rd) has to be the worst in Aus it gets cloged and its horrible. then the M4 gets cloged and i don't think a day goes by without an accident on it.
You could do with one of the trucks as in ur avatar pic
That would make "rush hour" fun
Old 16 Jun 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2484271)   #23
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
Isn't it always funny how there is nose to tail accidents in the right lane!!! Had to go to Sydney last thursday morning and there was over a dozen cars involved in a nose to tail in the right hand lane.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2484389)   #24
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
tell me about it mate. if half the dumbo's that have licences (how they get them is beyond me) used an ounce of common sense the accident figures would be cut dramatically IMO.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 03:56 (Ref:2488738)   #25
Speedislife
Rookie

United States
Nebraska
Speedislife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not just the Continent or Oz. We have more than our share in the US as well.

Of course, over here they'll give anyone 16 years of age who can drive around the block without crashing into something a license. I see plenty of blithering idiots out on the roadways...and my town isn't that large (250,000).

Try driving in a major US city, like Houston. On a GOOD day it would take me an hour to drive to work...on a BAD day..two to two and a half. Plenty of "left lane bandits" as we call them...people who drift along under the speed limit in the left lane and won't move over (we drive on the opposite side as the UK and Oz). Plenty who wait until the last minute and dash across 3 lanes of highway to make their exit, too.

I was driving in Chicago about 20 years ago and almost got run off the road by the same car three times on the highway.