Hydr0x
Rookie

United Kingdom
Little Hereford, UK
Hydr0x should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Racer. Where to start.

Hi everyone. Names Lawrence.

http://lawrenceselly.wix.com/sellydesign

I've always been a fan of Racing and Rallying, however my father is a Carpet Fitter (not a mechanic, marshal or race fan himself) none of my friends are into racing unless its infront of a TV whilst Holding an Xbox Controller. I'm just stuck with ambitions of Racing and fast Fords but no one to help and no ideas of where to start.

Now i understand i will need a race licence and appropriate attire (helmet, gloves, boots, overalls, Fireproof undies ect..) and I plan to buy and achieve all this at some point but i don't want to start on this path untill i know there is a light at the end.

I'm just a bit stuck with what to do. I don't really want to race F1 or Karts as they don't seem like cars to me, they are just machines designed to go really fast around a track with no other purpose (you cant take it to the shops) and I really really want to Race fords as I have been a fan since I first set my eyes on a Cosworth (YB) powered Capri when i was 12.

If you check out my Portfolio you can see my previous attempts, and I'm currently looking for a new car as my Orion was recently Stolen and used as a getaway car for a series of Burglaries. (I was planning to turning it into a Street Sleeper with a Cosworth 24v V6 under the bonnet)

Now I know money is a big part of racing, I'm not likely to get a sponsor and unless I win and keep on Winning I'm doubtful to earn any money from the sport. I just really want to get involved in any way i can.

To be quite honest I would be happy being a Wrench Monkey at the Track on Weekends, even an apprentice mechanic would be an amazing experience.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea on where to start. Anyone have any mates that need a monkey Wrench? anyone have a race team that could try me out for a day? Even someone with a Stripped out Fiesta so i could prove myself by setting a decent track time? I just want to take my first steps to becoming a race driver and I need someone to show me where to put my right foot!

=========================

I live near these postcodes: TS1 in the Winter, SY8 in the Summer.