Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 May 2002, 09:53 (Ref:280086)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
20 Years

RIP Gilles Vileneuve

Taken from us on the 8th May 1982

Last edited by f1manoz; 8 May 2002 at 09:53.
Old 8 May 2002, 10:38 (Ref:280113)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 8 May 2002, 10:50 (Ref:280124)   #3
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P.
You'll always be in our hearts!

Last edited by Miss Hardt; 8 May 2002 at 10:52.
Old 8 May 2002, 11:01 (Ref:280138)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some thoughts on this sombre occassion on why I love Gilles Villeneuve. In what was a relatively short grand prix career he won six times and almost took the WDC in '79.
But that is just a little of what made Enzo Ferrari's "little canadian" so special. What I will remember most is his battle with René Arnoux for of all things 2nd place at Dijon. Villeneuve fought for everything, some drivers will fight for points, Gilles fought for wins.
Another thing that makes me proud to be a Gilles fan, is his win at Zolder where he held back a train of five cars in his ill-handling Ferrari to take victory. Lafitte said that during that race he was able to get alongside Villeneuve many times but was never able to overtake, but never once did he feel ill-at-ease, because he trusted Gilles!
On this day I will imagine Gilles pounding around a circuit in the heavens with all the other great drivers who have left us with a smile from ear to ear!

RIP Gilles Villeneuve you are my WDC
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 May 2002, 11:04 (Ref:280141)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Nigel Roebuck's remberance:

"Ego is very important in motor racing, essential even. But Gilles enormous confidence came from within himself. He had no need of yes-men to tell him how good he was. He knew. And as a consequence, he was secure enough to admit his mistakes rather than blame the car, and he would look you straight in the eye as he did so. ... In a bland, commercial world, he loved [racing] for its sake. The jet set made him cringe, and he had an instinctive abhorrence of anything bogus. For me and for I suspect many thousands of others, the light has gone out in motor racing."

Gilles was everything I miss in Formula One today. He was quick, he was exciting, he was in love with racing, not with money, and he was honest.

Gilles, we miss you and we always will. I hope you're up there showing them how it's done.
Old 8 May 2002, 11:29 (Ref:280190)   #6
F1Babe
Rookie

F1Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Gilles

Yet another sad day in motorsport

Old 8 May 2002, 12:19 (Ref:280240)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I was 13 years old when that happened. As if it was yesterday, I remember the look on my father's face when I came home after having been out with my friends the day he died. I think my father was more uncomfortable giving me that bit of tragic news than speaking to me about girls/sex, etc.

RIP Gilles
Old 8 May 2002, 12:39 (Ref:280262)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How to explain the current state of F1 to Gilles

"Now, Gilles, in future you don't have to change gear any more, and you don't have to worry about throttle control, and software will take care of getting off the grid - oh, and, by the way, if someone's trying to pass you, it's now quite OK to swerve at them. The only thing we actively discourage is speaking your mind..."

It's from today's Nigel Roebuck on www.autosport.com. The direct link is

http://www.autosport.co.uk/asknigel....eries=5&type=f
Old 8 May 2002, 12:43 (Ref:280266)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.pitpass.com/features/feat...sid=298&page=1

Quite an emotive piece about Gilles.
Old 8 May 2002, 15:34 (Ref:280367)   #10
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
Another thing that makes me proud to be a Gilles fan, is his win at Zolder where he held back a train of five cars in his ill-handling Ferrari to take victory. Lafitte said that during that race he was able to get alongside Villeneuve many times but was never able to overtake, but never once did he feel ill-at-ease, because he trusted Gilles!
On this day I will imagine Gilles pounding around a circuit in the heavens with all the other great drivers who have left us with a smile from ear to ear!

RIP Gilles Villeneuve you are my WDC

Yes enemy-ace, Gilles was truly something special. I should point out the victory you mention was at Jarama, Spain, in 1981. It was considered one of the greatest drives in racing history.

Gilles was a pure racer, no bull about him. He would be very disappointed with the state of the formula today, I think.

R.I.P. Gilles....
Old 8 May 2002, 15:45 (Ref:280373)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Put a ****ing wheel on there! Let me go out again!"

Kinda sums it up perfectly.

What I miss most isn't Gilles' fire.... It's the nostalgia for an era when that actually paid off! Where you could throw the car sideways thru corners, attack the guy in front of you at any sign of weakness... When the cars weren't so twichy and tempermental and automated that the driver did little more than point and shoot, when a skilled and determined driver could make up for a car's deficits. Alesi, Montoya, and of course, Jacques... They've all had that same fire... And it just doesn't pay off anymore.

We've had some great battles since, but it's just not the same... The greatest days of racing died with Gilles, and maybe that is best... He'd be absolutely ashamed of F1 today.
Old 8 May 2002, 15:54 (Ref:280378)   #12
senna12
Veteran

A picture of the Spanish victory;

Old 8 May 2002, 15:58 (Ref:280381)   #13
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today there was a memorial for him at Zolder.They placed a memorial stone in the area of where he had his fatal crash.

RIP Gilles Villeneuve
Old 8 May 2002, 16:29 (Ref:280397)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the part that needs to be posted over the paddock entrance of every track in the world.

"Not giving it your all, to Gilles' mind, was a sin, but for all that he was a clean pure racer never putting his fellow racers in danger just for a win . Lauda wrote of him, "He was the craziest devil I ever came across in Formula 1. The fact that, for all this, he was a sensitive and lovable character rather than an out-and-out hell-raiser made him such a unique human being". Flying, snowmobiling or driving, he was a risk-taker of classic proportions. Yet his fellow drivers said that on the track he was scrupulously fair and did not put anyone's safety other than his own in jeopardy. "

===============

Incidentally, there's not one single word about him in any of our newspapers, even the Montreal Gazette.

Last edited by Liz; 8 May 2002 at 16:33.
Old 8 May 2002, 16:46 (Ref:280418)   #15
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12

Yes enemy-ace, Gilles was truly something special. I should point out the victory you mention was at Jarama, Spain, in 1981. It was considered one of the greatest drives in racing history.
Whoops! I knew that,my mistake, I'm afraid I have Zolder on the brain today!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 May 2002, 17:18 (Ref:280437)   #16
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll never forget. Even if I was just over 5 months old at the time.
Old 8 May 2002, 17:40 (Ref:280457)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is frustating...

Seeing the current situation of F1, and remembering those times.

Gilles, wherever you are, make a prayer and beg to GOD to bring you back... You must teach some guys down here.
Old 8 May 2002, 18:29 (Ref:280494)   #18
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles was taken long before I started following F1, but from all the things I've read about him, I think I can safely say that I would have supported him if I had followed F1 back in those days. He was a real racer, just the sort of driver that I would support, and Gilles' memory and legacy were also part of the reason why I became a big fan of his son.

Those of us who are not blinded by number of wins and championships know that there are so many other factors to take into consideration when comparing drivers. And Gilles was one of the best there ever was. We know he would have been World Champion. And in our hearts, he is.

And that's all that matters.

20 years ago today... RIP Gilles.
Old 8 May 2002, 18:55 (Ref:280510)   #19
senna12
Veteran

I was at work when I found out on the radio....as the pitpass article suggests, it was like getting slugged in the solar plexus. At least I have had the pleasure and honour of seeing him race, in person, during my lifetime.

Gilles would have been champion, there is no question. He was considered by his peers to be on a different level, his car control was a spectacle to witness at every race. He could take an ill-handling piece of crud, and achieve results out of all proportion to anyone's expectations.

If you were to take a poll amongst the most senior of the racing journalists fraternity, I think you would find Gilles in the top 3 or 5 of everyones list.

I wonder what Michael thinks when he walks by the statue of Gilles at Maranello? I know what I would think.....
Old 8 May 2002, 19:48 (Ref:280535)   #20
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched them both and for my money Gilles was better than Senna..too bad we never got to find out.
You ever notice that the very best were always a little naive and innocent?
Senna was in the beginning.......
Old 8 May 2002, 21:44 (Ref:280593)   #21
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Adam Ashmore, that Roebuck quote is wonderful. Pretty well sums it up doesn't, the differences that 20 odd years make.
Old 9 May 2002, 01:13 (Ref:280662)   #22
Liz
Veteran

I wonder what TGF, who imagines himself to be Mister Ferrari, is thinking today when even he has to realise that he will never be the man Gilles was ... or the driver either.

And I wonder if he ever compares himself to Pironi. Because I do.
Old 9 May 2002, 08:12 (Ref:280760)   #23
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I wonder what TGF, who imagines himself to be Mister Ferrari, is thinking today when even he has to realise that he will never be the man Gilles was ... or the driver either.
With Michael's talent for knowing racing history, he'd probably say Gilles who?
Old 9 May 2002, 10:28 (Ref:280837)   #24
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by strad
I watched them both and for my money Gilles was better than Senna..too bad we never got to find out.

Just a thought- if he'd lived, could you imagine F1 around 1985/6- Senna v Prost v Piquet v Mansell v Gilles.......
Old 9 May 2002, 17:01 (Ref:281126)   #25
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I think all has been said, . R.I.P Allez Gilles.