Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Oct 2017, 15:49 (Ref:3773711)   #26
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
France and Germany in particular have sizeable motorsport industries and they know how to deal with such issues and will prevent any stupidity.
Peter, I just hope you're right but not sure.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3773718)   #27
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All member states already have (and do use) the ability to exclude any group of vehicles they like from any such directive.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3773719)   #28
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
All member states already have (and do use) the ability to exclude any group of vehicles they like from any such directive.
Could you quote a reliable or definitive source for that statement please?
Old 11 Oct 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3773720)   #29
Bob_Black
Rookie

Bob_Black should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The EU as a whole do not have a clear motorsport industry worth billions a year as we do, so our government can legitimately fight this corner.
...Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Oreca, the biggest chassis constructor globally Dallara, the innumerate small constructors and teams right the way down to club level, etc. etc. Fair bit over the 20 mile hop.

All buying a hell of lot of stuff from the UK.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3773756)   #30
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But they are not Mclaren, Ginetta, Red Bull, Williams, Renault, Cosworth and plenty of others linked to F1.

My point is not that there are not big firms in europe, just that there is a concentration on them in the UK and they contribute more probably to our GDP than in any other country and probably employ a higher percentage of the population than the others to in countries with similar populations
Old 11 Oct 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3773771)   #31
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Input was here:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/consultati...r-insurance_en

[PS Could a Moderator possibly assemble all the comments posted elsewhere under one banner?]
Old 12 Oct 2017, 05:52 (Ref:3773814)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi,

I cross posted it because it's of interest to various groups and not all of them visit this forum. The discussion is worth it from a thread POV but the important thing is that those who are interested follow the guidance and submit their thoughts.

It's not really worth combining all the discussions though.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 06:54 (Ref:3773820)   #33
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
My point is not that there are not big firms in europe, just that there is a concentration on them in the UK and they contribute more probably to our GDP than in any other country and probably employ a higher percentage of the population than the others to in countries with similar populations
Agreed, fully agreed. You can add that your country hosts a know how in classic certainly impossible to find elsewhere.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3773860)   #34
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=chunder;3773620]I would agree with Peter here.

People have enough experience with the EU to perhaps be very aware of what could happen here.

As a matter of academic, when we have finally rid ourselves of the EU burden round our necks, what are the chances of returning to less bureaucratic (F.I.A.) involvement........
Old 12 Oct 2017, 14:45 (Ref:3773875)   #35
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=p261brm;3773860]
Quote:

As a matter of academic, when we have finally rid ourselves of the EU burden round our necks, what are the chances of returning to less bureaucratic (F.I.A.) involvement........
None whatsoever! It will become MORE bureaucratic because we won't be able to race in "Europe" on a UK National A licence. And the FIA will still be in charge of motor sport, just hate us more......
Old 12 Oct 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3773877)   #36
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Midgetman, what kind of licence do you need to race at Spa for instance, when the race is held by a UK organiser? Cant you take a daily or weekend licence from Belgium in this case?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3773885)   #37
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Most of the races are on a National A licence under the NEAFP (National Event with Authorised Foreign Participation) which was a grudging scheme forced upon the FIA by the European Parliament. They really, really don't want cross-border racing without paying for over priced permits.

Bloody foreign racing drivers coming over here, stealing our grids. Still it will be a chance for the FIA to regain control of their borders and you can be sure that the exchange rate won't affect them, they just put their taxes up. :ROFL:

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 12 Oct 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3773890)   #38
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thank you for the clarification. I'm I right thinking it could affect pure amateur racing assuming the pro system will always find a way to fund the extra costs while coping with new assurance rules? In this case what is the official position of the different organizers?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3773894)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is nobody who can actually cover this. If you accept that the risk levels are based upon experience then any insurance company must necessarily use Le Mans 1955 as its benchmark. You see the problem?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 18:30 (Ref:3773898)   #40
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Crystal clear. Our rally buddies already experienced some troubles. If we can agree that F1 and pro-racing in general are different from pure amateur racing I doubt very much that we can race under different rules once accepted (or imposed) by the pro system. And again the car-to-car damage seems totally unrealistic.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 07:25 (Ref:3773945)   #41
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is why it is important to try and do as much as possible as early as possible.

UK stage rallying has been completely ruined in terms of spectators by a ruling, meaning you cant just wander round the stages as you once could.

You can see merit in their decision, but as usual the few ruin it for the many.

And that may be the case here, law is defined by new laws sometimes. So the vnuk case might define law against all off road vehicles.

And even more importantly, the insurance companies will be pushing like hell for it, and who are likely to be directors and honorary chairpersons of insurance companies? MP's MeP,s etc etc. You can see where I am heading lol!

Stark? Yes, cynical, clearly? But you have lived in the same world as me for decades and you know how the world works sometimes.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 09:42 (Ref:3773963)   #42
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
why would insurance companies be in favour of this proposed EU Directive? They stand to lose a lot of business if motorsport and all the other affected pastimes and activities wither and die out as a result.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3773970)   #43
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
David my bet is that they already made the calculation by now. As thunder says, its a rather cynical world we live in. If the EU directive has to be applied they will make a lot of additional business with all kind of vehicles concerned. May be a good question could be what is the real weight of non pro racers for whom it will be an additional cost hard to stand. Dont you feel some important clubs could assist in this matter?
Old 13 Oct 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3773977)   #44
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
David my bet is that they already made the calculation by now. As thunder says, its a rather cynical world we live in. If the EU directive has to be applied they will make a lot of additional business with all kind of vehicles concerned. May be a good question could be what is the real weight of non pro racers for whom it will be an additional cost hard to stand. Dont you feel some important clubs could assist in this matter?
You may be overlooking the fact that insurers need to be able to put a value against the potential costs of their exposure to any risks. And it is this requirement that they have that their actuaries to provide a cost to a client.

If, as seems to be suggested by this movement to incorporate it in to an EU directive, insurers are expected to offer unlimited damages in the event of a claim, then they will not be able to provide a realistic costing to potential policyholders.

This is why, I believe, that this will not be supported by the insurance industry.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3774016)   #45
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
You may be overlooking the fact that insurers need to be able to put a value against the potential costs of their exposure to any risks. And it is this requirement that they have that their actuaries to provide a cost to a client.

If, as seems to be suggested by this movement to incorporate it in to an EU directive, insurers are expected to offer unlimited damages in the event of a claim, then they will not be able to provide a realistic costing to potential policyholders.

This is why, I believe, that this will not be supported by the insurance industry.
Thanks Mike, my point exactly.
It seems that even now people have not read and understood the MIA's synopsis of the Directive's consequences, as it is currently drafted.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3774834)   #46
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did say it already in a previous post and when discussions were far from the state they are today but the governing body is working at it with the EU and as detailed here:

https://www.autosport.com/national/n...ance-directive
Old 18 Oct 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3774879)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed Louis and that also confirms my point that if it were to go ahead the FIAT would have to make circuits comply. Thus I hope you (The FIA) are siccessful.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3877334)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Reported in Autosport this week that the European Union vote on the proposed legislation is happening this coming Tuesday..... Then whatever is decided goes to parliament to be ratified.

Fingers crossed!
Old 22 Jan 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3877659)   #49
midgetman
Veteran

It's looking good. The specialist committee has approved exempting motor sport:

https://www.autosport.com/national/n...A_b7zxjS5cQlh0
Old 22 Jan 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3877660)   #50
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.autosport.com/national/n...QVFhJEb8S4vLTI
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang