Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2003, 04:56 (Ref:719115)   #1
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tool Of The Week

The the winner goes to James Allen this week after claiming Montoya took the lead after Schumi's pitstop.

We all saw on the previous lap that Gene was well ahead of JPM, but James god bless him had another brain fade & thought Monty had made over 3 seconds on him & overtook him.
Either that or he was just trying to spice up what was a dull race.

Worst still was his attempted cover up by trying to blame his monitor for not showing him the details.

But even worst was he somehow convinced Martin to think the same.

There was no way in hell that Monty, with more fuel was ever going to catch the Schu!

So congratulations James on being a worthy winner & may you win many more.
Something tells me you will!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:18 (Ref:719119)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
He wins the award, but not for that.

After he realised his mistake, did you here is voice and excitment drop. Jesus James, hide you bias a little better from now on.

With supporters like James Allen and MrV, what chance does Montoya have?
Old 15 Sep 2003, 05:55 (Ref:719137)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I demand a public apology
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:05 (Ref:719143)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is so offensive........how can you compare Mr V( )and James Allen ( )together ??...

Last edited by Sato san; 15 Sep 2003 at 06:07.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:07 (Ref:719146)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it significant that Martin Brundle picked up on the blunder first and set the record straight.

Last edited by Mattracer; 15 Sep 2003 at 06:08.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:22 (Ref:719148)   #6
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like always....ITV commentators favours Montoya. nothing new
Old 15 Sep 2003, 06:29 (Ref:719156)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in saying that ....in the interview afterwards the TOOL of the Year 2003 ( Ross Brawn ) ...he said both him and Michael thought that Montoya had got head of him for about half a lap until they realised that it was Gene .
Old 15 Sep 2003, 08:58 (Ref:719279)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not like it's the first time James Allen has won Tool of the week.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 10:53 (Ref:719371)   #9
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
Give me a break! And this comment gets the most pathetic comment of the week award

Fair go guys, im sure all of you have made a mistake in each of your chosen proffesions. He made an error, BIG DEAL!!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:03 (Ref:719376)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
( Ross Brawn ) said both him and Michael thought that Montoya had got head of him for about half a lap until they realised that it was Gene .
Now THAT is an impressive bit of trivia,LOL!
Imagine the tension and confusion for that minute!!!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:06 (Ref:719380)   #11
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And, if you had bothered to listen to the post-race interview with Ross Brawn - and read Sato San's comments in this thread properly - Michael Schumacher and the Ferrari team thought that JPM was ahead!

I give you the following quotes:

Michael Schumacher answering the question "Q. At the second stop, you came out behind a Williams. Were you a bit worried about that for a moment?" MS: "I was indeed, because our team wasn't absolutely aware of who was who at that moment and initially they said 'you should be fine' and then suddenly they screamed in the radio 'watch out, he's coming' and I suddenly saw a Williams coming and I thought 'how did he do that?' (Laughter) Then I almost went off in one of the corners because I was pushing so hard to get a go at him, but then luckily it was Gene."

Ross Brawn: "“For about 10 seconds I was completely distraught. I thought Michael had come out behind Montoya. I just put my head in my hands because I couldn’t work out what had happened.”

Meanwhile, to all of you slating James Allen et al... may I congratulate you all on never having made any mistakes in your entire lives!!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:13 (Ref:719386)   #12
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was actually at the track this weekend and even the Italian commentator thought it was JPM. This is why almost 100 thousand people cheered and were jumping up and down as MS passed Gene.

So I wouldnt give ITV too much of a hard time.

What amazed me more though was the fact that the italian fans bought wire cutters with them in anticipation of a track invasion.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:15 (Ref:719389)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suzy, the difference between James Allen & all of us on this forum is that we're not paid to give accurate information to the viewing public, for someone who spends his life around the teams it is a big mistake not to tell the difference between the helmets.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 11:37 (Ref:719406)   #14
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Then the likes of Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn ought to be ashamed of themselves! Fancy somebody like Ross Brawn with all that telemetry and information (even more than ITV have got) not being able to tell the difference between the helmets!!!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 12:25 (Ref:719469)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now, I always thought James was biased, but towards Michael. He seems to get annoyed when Martin doesn't give that pointless driver of the day award to him.

Anyway.

I would have thought that Brawn etc... would have been watching the timing screens to see where Montoya and hence Michael would have come out on track. From the formula1.com live timing it was obviosu that Montoya came out a couple of seconds behind Gene and that Michael probably would too. At home we were talking about what Gene would do with Michael right behind and whether it would give Montoya a chance to get by.

However the odd mistake is forgivable, everyone makes them, but it isn't just an odd mistake. Perhaps if James spent less time working out how much fuel went in for a x second stop (which is pretty unreliable anyway and can only be used as a guide) he might notice such things.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 13:45 (Ref:719552)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,its funny that so many people who should have known better, made the same mistake.You can add two more people to that list, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett from the Speed Channel broadcast here in the states. They made the same bad call, and I was as distraught as Brawn for a second, until they realized the mistake and corrected themselves.

The disappointment in Hobbs voice was apparent once he knew it wasn't Montoya. I can forgive the mistake, but not the bias.

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Sep 2003, 14:06 (Ref:719560)   #17
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Tool Of The Week

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
Either that or he was just trying to spice up what was a dull race.
Dull race ?!?..., for Ralf's Fans, maybe.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 14:23 (Ref:719573)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
And the Tool of the week award goes to.....
Old 15 Sep 2003, 14:26 (Ref:719576)   #19
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the highlights on ITV and they re-recorded it.
Mistakes are not to be dubbed over!!

Bring back Murray for the love of God.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 14:38 (Ref:719587)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Irv the Swerve
I watched the highlights on ITV and they re-recorded it.
Mistakes are not to be dubbed over!!
I shouldn't think that in itself will conceal the fact that James Allen can be a bit of a wally.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:58 (Ref:719671)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
Meanwhile, to all of you slating James Allen et al... may I congratulate you all on never having made any mistakes in your entire lives!!
Hmmm, yes. But do we make mistakes on such a regular basis? I am a huge F1 fan and knew immediately that that was Gene. The helmet kind of gave it away. I would imagine that this is the case for all the other ten tenthers. Now as James Allen is a supposed expert, he shouldn't do that really. And what is the shouting about?

It ain't just the mistakes that blot his copybook. He is a hideous commentator full-stop and should never, ever have got the job. Did ITV not realise how bad he was during 2000/2001? It was clear from the beginning that he didn't click with Martin and his moments of excruciating fake excitement at the start are really quite horrid. He is a real arsecake.

Phew. I need to lie down........
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:41 (Ref:719724)   #22
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Then Knowsley - you are probably one of only a few people who knew it was Gene!!

Ferrari thought it was Juan, the Italian commentators AT THE CIRCUIT thought it was Juan, a lot of the CROWD AT THE CIRCUIT thought it was Juan. Heck, even the FIA computer said it was Juan! And that computer is the official timekeeper for the weekend!!! If the FIA ain't got a clue who is leading, then who on earth can.

So, in a way, it stands to reason: the computer stated that JPM was ahead of Michael - that's why almost every commentator with access to that screen around the world immediately announced that Juan was ahead of Michael. Believe it or not Knowsley, it's impossible to see an entire track from a commentary box - that's why even commentators at the track use screens.

I'm not the biggest James Allen fan by quite a margin - but I do think he gets an awful lot of rubbish from a lot of people.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:44 (Ref:719730)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know, i must've been sleeping during that part or something.
Or taking a whizz, getting some more beer/food, kicking the cat for throwing up all over the place...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 15 Sep 2003 at 16:45.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:47 (Ref:719732)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
even the FIA computer said it was Juan! And that computer is the official timekeeper for the weekend!!! If the FIA ain't got a clue who is leading, then who on earth can.

So, in a way, it stands to reason: the computer stated that JPM was ahead of Michael - that's why almost every commentator with access to that screen around the world immediately announced that Juan was ahead of Michael. Believe it or not Knowsley, it's impossible to see an entire track from a commentary box - that's why even commentators at the track use screens.
er, sorry, but no it didn't, that is how I knew it was Gene. For the last lap and a bit (since Montoya stopped) it had been showing Gene ahead of Montoya. The timing screen (on formula1.com, the official one - it is the same apart from rounding to 1 decimal place for the sector times) never said Montoya was ahead of Michael or Gene.

And the caption said Gene, but that didn't immediately register with them either.

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Sep 2003 at 16:50.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:54 (Ref:719735)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Frankly a few mistakes are excusable as Suzy says, but it happens a lot.

However my main problem is the number of things that he cites as fact, but actually he has no idea what is going on. There is quite often a plain misunderstanding of what is going on. Things link saying DC must have x litres more fuel in Friday Q because of the time difference to Kimi! There is no realisation that there can be more than one reason for the same thing.

Martin in this respect is good. I liked it when he was talking about aspects of the race. He says what he thinks it could be, but points out that he doesn't know this, it is just the most likely explanation. Everything isn't just FACT.