Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Oct 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2775394)   #426
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway. In response to the last on topic post that I can recall reading I also don't think that we should totally dismiss VW from being the one that goes to F1. It has been mentioned in the past. As well as Audi. But now VAG has Porsche and the fact that it's Mueller that's talking up the possibility of an F1 effort (a little more so than LMP) and not any of others is what's prompting all of the "where is Porsche headed?" questions. The frustrating part is that nobody really seems to listen to us. Sports Car fans all over have been hoping for a Porsche prototype since the late 90s, and we have continually been denied. I can't ever recall hearing an F1 fan say that they wish Porsche would come back. In fact I can't recall them mentioning any manufacturer in that context. F1 fans don't care about that stuff. Even now with the possibility of Porsche going to F1 there is one thread about it in the F1 forum and it's not very active. Yet over here we are getting mad at each other over the possibility or not of a Porsche LMP project. I guess right now it's just a matter of fingers crossed for 2014. What Sports Car racing needs as a whole is for the ACO to get the 2014 regs locked down as soon as possible, and hope that the FIA and FOTA struggle with the 2013 regs.

I found this; http://www.0-60mag.com/news/2010/10/...er-microscope/ as well. I'm not sure how or if this may plan into their motorsports plans, but I think it might.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2775397)   #427
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jaguar in F1 was a disaster, Aston Martin would have been too.

VW/Audi would be logical for that series.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2775409)   #428
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope that VW/Audi agrees.

Ulrich Baretzky's design and pushing of the GRE for F1 could make for a good point in that argument.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2775422)   #429
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do not think either of those marques truly belong in that series! Of the VAG family I would think either Bugatti or Lamborghini a better entrant. Leaving Audi and Porsche to Sportscar racing.

L.P.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2775425)   #430
TRuss
Veteran

I agree. There are tons of a-holes and d-bags that drive those things.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2775428)   #431
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I do not think either of those marques truly belong in that series! Of the VAG family I would think either Bugatti or Lamborghini a better entrant. Leaving Audi and Porsche to Sportscar racing.
We had a discussion over dinner at PLM about the VAG family and a potential F1 entry. My conclusion was that the best nameplate for such an entry was VW itself. I believe that Audi and Porsche don't need the F1 exposure, having already built a very good reputation for themselves. An entry into F1 can only really damage their reputation, unless they were very successful, very quickly, which is a heck of a risk.

I don't think Bugatti or Lambo will ever sell enough cars to justify the expense of F1, and the halo marketing it brings.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2775434)   #432
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's odds-on VW will entrer the WRC.

One scenario is Porsche take over the Dakar program (re-body the Touareg) which was suggested in Autosport, after which they could go to F1 or take Audi's place in P1.

http://www.crash.net/world+rally/new...wrc_entry.html

Last edited by JAG; 15 Oct 2010 at 16:12.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2775435)   #433
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
I agree. There are tons of a-holes and d-bags that drive those things.

Hmm, so the implication is that Audi and Porsche drivers are a-holes and d-bags? What a wonderful perspective that is!

L.P.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2775436)   #434
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
We had a discussion over dinner at PLM about the VAG family and a potential F1 entry. My conclusion was that the best nameplate for such an entry was VW itself. I believe that Audi and Porsche don't need the F1 exposure, having already built a very good reputation for themselves. An entry into F1 can only really damage their reputation, unless they were very successful, very quickly, which is a heck of a risk.

I don't think Bugatti or Lambo will ever sell enough cars to justify the expense of F1, and the halo marketing it brings.

Probably so. Just thinking about the brand image/ing from the entrance into the series, not the accumulated image from being in it.

L.P.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2775443)   #435
TRuss
Veteran

Of course not. Well maybe some. I was referring to Bugatti and Lamborghini drivers. They also think that Lil' Wayne is talented so the they are the perfect audience for F1.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2775447)   #436
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Of course not. Well maybe some. I was referring to Bugatti and Lamborghini drivers. They also think that Lil' Wayne is talented so the they are the perfect audience for F1.
Thank you for that clarification.

L.P.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2775456)   #437
TRuss
Veteran

You're welcome. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear to begin with.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 09:09 (Ref:2786874)   #438
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...and now it appears that VW will not be going into F1...in any capacity. (thank God!)
Old 8 Nov 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2786907)   #439
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
...and now it appears that VW will not be going into F1...in any capacity. (thank God!)
Ya know, I could never get my head around that story. VW and F1. The whole idea just never made any sense. And I owned a couple of VW's, great cars.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 23:53 (Ref:2787367)   #440
TRuss
Veteran

Spyderman. Do you mean that VW will not be entering F1? Or VAG will not be entering F1? Meaning neither VW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo or Bugatti will not enter F1. Please say it's the latter. Either way, where did you find this info?
Old 8 Nov 2010, 23:56 (Ref:2787368)   #441
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Spyderman. Do you mean that VW will not be entering F1? Or VAG will not be entering F1? Meaning neither VW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo or Bugatti will not enter F1. Please say it's the latter. Either way, where did you find this info?
VAG is not going to F1. It doesn't make the Porsche LMP1 all of the sudden back on track, but it's still good news for sports car fans.

It appears VAG now wants a VAG WRC campaign instead.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2787664)   #442
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
VAG is not going to F1. It doesn't make the Porsche LMP1 all of the sudden back on track, but it's still good news for sports car fans.

It appears VAG now wants a VAG WRC campaign instead.
Somebody posted this on the AudiSports Facebook page recently:

Yes, it's only fan concept art, but it's definitely a nice prospect.
If VAG were to enter the WRC, this would win my vote.

Although I tend to think it would more likely be VW, as others have already mentioned.

As for Porsche/F1 involvement, most of the articles I've read suggest it was Piech's vehemently opposed stance which played a deciding role in the decision. Obviously VAG agrees with the sentiment that Porsche and F1 don't sit right.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 9 Nov 2010 at 17:59.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2787668)   #443
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
Somebody posted this on the AudiSports Facebook page recently:

Yes, it's only fan concept art, but it's definitely a nice prospect.
If VAG were to enter the WRC, this would win my vote.

Although I tend to think it would more likely be VW, as others have already mentioned.
VW and Audi race in IRC and WRC (like Citroen and Peugeot).
But we should not be discussing VAG rally plans, unless it has anything to do with Porsches return.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2787722)   #444
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
VW and Audi race in IRC and WRC (like Citroen and Peugeot).
But we should not be discussing VAG rally plans, unless it has anything to do with Porsches return.
Am I missing something on the rallying side. VW and Audi don't compete in either rally series beyond a once private effort from Rene Georges Rally Sport who acquired some South African Polos for a short time.

VAG rally plans do have something to do with sportscars simply because everything is linked together. They want to spread the marques across different series and VW will be their rally representative. It just needs the green light.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2787737)   #445
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Am I missing something on the rallying side. VW and Audi don't compete in either rally series beyond a once private effort from Rene Georges Rally Sport who acquired some South African Polos for a short time.
Sorry forgot a "Could", what i mean is that VW and Audi Could race in IRC and WRC.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2787738)   #446
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a reminder then of the title of the thread.......
Old 9 Nov 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2787837)   #447
TRuss
Veteran

I understand that it doesn't mean a Porsche return to the top...but it can't hurt.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2819140)   #448
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matthias Muller, chief of Porsche, has declared they are not interested in Formula 1 debut.

http://www.stopandgo.tv/news/enduran...r-le-mans.html

They would prefer to come back in Le Mans, because Le Mans is near to Porsche story, and is more interesting under the technical point of view. So, I guess 918 RSR is just another step on the way for a future Porsche LMP1. 2012 is just around the corner, and they're experimenting to be on the starting grid. Muller has said is not a problem to race against Audi. So, it will be very interesting to follow the evolution of this long soap opera.
I'm sure Porsche is working to an LMP1 with hybrid technology. This could explain 918 RSR on the starting grid in next Nurburgring 24 hours. If this would not be the truth, it means that Porsche is wasting time and fund to produce a non-sense car, just like 918 RSR, wich is not eligible in any actual racing class.
Porsche has never wasted money and time, so...
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 22 Jan 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2819146)   #449
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
...They would prefer to come back in Le Mans, because Le Mans is near to Porsche story, and is more interesting under the technical point of view. So, I guess 918 RSR is just another step on the way for a future Porsche LMP1...
This reminds me the way Porsche came to the turbo technology in the prototype category :
The Carrera RSR 3.0l atmo at LM'73, then the Carrera Turbo in '74 with the 2.1 litres, then the 936 2.1 litres in '76.
I think you are close to what can happen : 911 Hybrid, then 918 hybrid with the 3.4 litres, and maybe a new LMP1 3.4 hybrid.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2819185)   #450
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
The 918 engine is the old Spyder V8, so we know the engine is good for 24hours, and fits well with the new regulations.
Could this be a reverse Carrera GT? (Porsche V10 Lmp,Carrera GT)