Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2022, 16:50 (Ref:4131555)   #51
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Glad you and your son had a good time Richard. Sorry, but living in the UK, driving 1,300 miles to your 'home' GP seems a hell of a long way!
And yet we still only travelled through a fraction of the US. It's a big and not quite homogenous place. We saw a lot of diversity in geography, culture, etc.

I hate to say it as I know it's controversial, but the size of the US illustrates the arguments for the increase in number of races in the US. Even for me to drive to Miami (closest GP), it would be over 800 miles. Next closest would be almost 900 miles for Canadian GP.

But other geographically large counties can complain as well. I expect if you lived on the opposite side of Australia a road trip to Melbourne might be quite tough! And if you live elsewhere (South America, Africa, etc.) you have no choice but to travel internationally!

Richard
Old 26 Oct 2022, 17:45 (Ref:4131565)   #52
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me in Sweden, I would not only have to travel 480 km, but also back in time to 1978. I was there back then, and have not been to a race weekend since then.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 01:28 (Ref:4131586)   #53
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
curious to know which tenthers have the shortest and longest drive to their home GP?
I had about 15 miles to home GP back in UK, but it was quite in middle (by population, calm down pedant).

Not done a GP in the US, but I drove 950 to a sportscar race. Which was pretty much Le Mans and back from some places I lived in the UK. As Richard says it is more normal over here.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 01:33 (Ref:4131587)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
For me in Sweden, I would not only have to travel 480 km, but also back in time to 1978.

Quote:
I was there back then,
that’s cool - was it fun?
Quote:
and have not been to a race weekend since then.

You need to sort that
Old 27 Oct 2022, 02:16 (Ref:4131588)   #55
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
curious to know which tenthers have the shortest and longest drive to their home GP?
I walked home from the Melbourne GP this year was quicker than waiting for the tram, took 25mins by foot
Old 27 Oct 2022, 02:21 (Ref:4131589)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I walked home from the Melbourne GP this year was quicker than waiting for the tram, took 25mins by foot
Brilliant
Old 27 Oct 2022, 03:02 (Ref:4131591)   #57
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roughly 3776klm to Melb give or take a wrong turn
Old 27 Oct 2022, 05:13 (Ref:4131593)   #58
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Roughly 3776klm to Melb give or take a wrong turn
My 1st Australian GP was a 28hr, 2700km drive to Adelaide and 5th was still 2700km but far quicker flight to Melbourne. Was only an hour flight when I went to Sepang but I cheated and left from my home in Thailand.

Would be nice to have a few more "local" GPs within easy travelling distance.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 05:31 (Ref:4131594)   #59
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

that’s cool - was it fun?

I was quite young, being there with my aunt (who was one of the local medics), and don't remember much. I'm here, though, so it made an impression.
I remember it was LOUD!
Old 28 Oct 2022, 00:58 (Ref:4131694)   #60
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
I was quite young, being there with my aunt (who was one of the local medics), and don't remember much. I'm here, though, so it made an impression.
I remember it was LOUD!
Brilliant.

And kudos to your Aunt offering her services as a medic.

I was going to say that must have been either just before or after Sid Watkins started at GP. I decide to look it up and that was his first GP helping Bernie out. Wonderful.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 07:07 (Ref:4131716)   #61
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alpine have won their bid to overturn the penalty Fernando Alonso received in the United States Grand Prix.

'US GP stewards upheld a protest by the Haas team despite it being posted after the permitted time limit had expired.

However, FIA stewards have reversed the decision, meaning Alonso and Alpine retain the six points the Spanish driver won from the race.

Officials at this weekend's Mexican Grand Prix agreed with Alpine's argument that the protest by Haas was not submitted within the correct timeframe.'
Old 28 Oct 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4131725)   #62
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Should never have been a penalty in the first place. Thrown out on a technicality. The right result, but not for the right reasons.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 09:24 (Ref:4131731)   #63
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quite right too. If the officials thought it was dangerous, the black and orange meatball flag should have been shown. It was wrong to make him drive his heart out, only to decide it was all for nothing. Much less dangerous than what Stroll did.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 09:40 (Ref:4131739)   #64
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Alpine have won their bid to overturn the penalty Fernando Alonso received in the United States Grand Prix.

'US GP stewards upheld a protest by the Haas team despite it being posted after the permitted time limit had expired.

However, FIA stewards have reversed the decision, meaning Alonso and Alpine retain the six points the Spanish driver won from the race.

Officials at this weekend's Mexican Grand Prix agreed with Alpine's argument that the protest by Haas was not submitted within the correct timeframe.'
Glad - the time limit for submitting protests after a race is simply basic - the stewards at USGP must have been either asleep or not that competent (or both) to ignore something as fundamentally basic as that.

Personally, I completely understand Haas' frustration with the use of the meatball flag for damaged items on cars and the lack of consistency. Makes sense to push the issue to try and get some kind of ruling / consistency but submitting a protest out of time ain't all that professional - sorry Guenther!
Old 28 Oct 2022, 15:22 (Ref:4131809)   #65
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The FIA appear to share a strategy team with Ferrari, they make themselves look stupid at far to many races.