Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Nov 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3477208)   #126
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AGU 587B is probably a clue but, yes, agree with David; if you want help, we need more info.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 Nov 2014, 10:31 (Ref:3477243)   #127
AGU 587B
Rookie

AGU 587B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

Really sorry! I was trying to upload a photo as well. The car was owned by Barrie Anderson and raced in Modsports in 1968/69. He raced at the following tracks with other drivers such as John Chatham and John Gott. The race tracks are as follows:

Brands Hatch
Snetterton
Oulton Park
Lydden Hill

I have some scrutineers passes and some plaques with the following info:

Scrutineers' Passes

Brands Hatch April 7th 1969 Scrutineer "Peter H Williams – a little faded"
Brands Hatch Sept 29th 1968
Brands Hatch Dec 27th 1969 Scrutineer "J J Marsh – a little faded"

Winners Plaques

1. Brands Hatch AHC (E.C.) SPRINT June 1967 1st Class A
2. Brands Hatch AHC (E.C.) SPRINT June 1967 1st Class B
3. Brands Hatch AHC (E.C.) SPRINT June 1967 1st Class C
4. Brands Hatch AHC (E.C.) SPRINT June 1967 1st Class D

I will try and upload a recent photo of the car.

Kind regards,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
AGU587B.jpeg  

Last edited by AGU 587B; 21 Nov 2014 at 10:46. Reason: photo to attach
Old 21 Nov 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3477254)   #128
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rob, no probs; will check old progs/photos but give us some time!!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 Nov 2014, 12:04 (Ref:3477260)   #129
AGU 587B
Rookie

Dear John,

Thank you! Fingers crossed.

Rob
Old 26 Nov 2014, 11:28 (Ref:3478864)   #130
AGU 587B
Rookie

Hi John,

just wondering if you've had any luck??

Kind regards,
Rob
Old 26 Nov 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3478869)   #131
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ermmmm.... haven't even started yet, Rob. When I said give us some time, I didn't mean a few hours, or even days!! I'll do my best as I hope will others but it takes time to research and comb through all the old mags/photos/programmes etc and it isn't all to hand!
Old 26 Nov 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3478886)   #132
AGU 587B
Rookie

Hi John,

My apologies, Just very excited at the prospect of you potentially finding a pic!

I will be patient.

Kind regards,
Rob
Old 26 Nov 2014, 13:14 (Ref:3478899)   #133
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I have an old Car & Car Conversions mag somewhere that features at least a pic if not a complete article on a Modports Healey but like John says I will need time to dig it out.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 28 Nov 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3479534)   #134
AGU 587B
Rookie

Dear Moosehead,

Many thanks, Much appreciated.
Rob
Old 24 Dec 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3487645)   #135
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
No joy yet, but to be fair have been so busy with next season stuff that haven't delved too deeply yet. Not forgotten though.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3487692)   #136
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John Chatham Cars
Wellinghouse Farm, Moorhouse Lane, Hallen, Bristol
BS10 7RT
tel: +44 (0)117 950 1836 +44 (0)7917 060 604
web: http://www.JohnChathamCars.co.uk

I do not know if this will help, I assume it is the John Chatham.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 21:13 (Ref:3490160)   #137
AGU 587B
Rookie

Dear Bauble, John and Moosehead,

Many thanks for your help.

Happy New Year,
Rob

Ps Bauble - thank you for the link to John Chatham. I have spoken to John who remembers Barry and the car but doesn't believe he has any photos
Old 6 Jan 2015, 02:06 (Ref:3490234)   #138
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the Christmas break I entered the 'No Go Zone' that is our loft, I've started going through my magazines with no luck so far, however, there are more on the 'dark side' so will don my adventurers cap and go forth, hopefully at the weekend.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 12 Jan 2015, 21:39 (Ref:3492176)   #139
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
most modsports cars are running with HTP's now aren't they
And the modifications made to these cars in period have not been removed in most cases, which goes to show how useless a regulation the HTP;s are
Old 13 Jan 2015, 07:24 (Ref:3492393)   #140
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Joking apart, if you look at AppK, there is a category called 'historic specials' that surely covers Modsports cars, so no reason why one shouldn't have HTP? As long as it is presented in period configuration, which is up to owner / applicant to prove. What that HTP doesn't do is allow that car to run against those from other categories- unless the race organiser deems it OK. Having said that, I can't see why you would want an expensive HTP on a Modsports car, as those that are racing now are doing so away from FIA interference!

Old 13 Jan 2015, 09:54 (Ref:3492425)   #141
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
surely the whole point of 70's modsports was that there were no rules other than silhouette.. if you think back to those wonderful skoda's etc in which case no spec would have been homologated and therefore no HTP - and that os why we love them so much!! It is a great shame that a F5000 or T70 and all the other cars that were used under the bodywork are now worth more than the modsport car and so they have largely been consigned to history..

btw I think the historic specials referred to were more like the one off jaguar engined sports racers which competed in the 50's

I know this is a long way from a modded up Healey so apologies for going off thread!
Old 13 Jan 2015, 15:52 (Ref:3492503)   #142
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
surely the whole point of 70's modsports was that there were no rules other than silhouette.. if you think back to those wonderful skoda's etc in which case no spec would have been homologated and therefore no HTP - and that os why we love them so much!! It is a great shame that a F5000 or T70 and all the other cars that were used under the bodywork are now worth more than the modsport car and so they have largely been consigned to history..

btw I think the historic specials referred to were more like the one off jaguar engined sports racers which competed in the 50's

I know this is a long way from a modded up Healey so apologies for going off thread!
Simon, Modsports were quite tightly regulated IIRC. It was Special/SuperSaloons that morphed into Donington GTs that were free spec and so great in the 70s/80s
Old 13 Jan 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3492556)   #143
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No.

Donington GT started as a series that embraced Special Saloons, and basically also permitted Modsports-eligible cars, but with regulations liberalised to match those applying to special Saloons.

The USP of the Donington series was that it offered what for the time was very generous prize money. The worm in the bud was that there were no proper regulations; I asked the series co-ordinator about this several times, but to no avail.

After a while, ridiculous mutant cars began to appear. Front bonnet/engine cover lowered between the headlights, silhouette chopped way below the wheel centres of the original car, extended front splitter, and worst of all, cars with central seating position which were no more than a single seater with a blob silhouette body on top.

Sadly, neither the Donington Racing Club, who ran the series, nor the useless RACSMA, took any action, and the series gradually sucked all the life out of the established Special Saloon and Modsports series. Both eventually withered on the vine.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 22:17 (Ref:3492602)   #144
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am i correct in thinking the CSCC run something for these type cars ?

Modsports, special saloons, & old thunder saloons.

I'm sure it ran in 2014.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 00:41 (Ref:3492635)   #145
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post

I'm sure it ran in 2014.
Indeed they do; am I allowed to link?

http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.u...nd%20Modsports
Old 15 Jan 2015, 13:11 (Ref:3493051)   #146
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
IIRC Modsports had to have the standard steel centre section, the wheels had to be in the right place and wings were limited within the original silhouette. Modsaloons and Supersaloons had similar rules I think.

Special saloons were the ones that just had to have the original windscreen, so there were Skoda screens grafted onto Tiga Group C cars etc. Combe had a lot of these, then did away with the pretence and allowed in sports racers and the series became "Special GT".

My Midgets were built under "Modsports" rules which did indeed have a lot of regulation regarding which engine, where it could be mounted etc. You couldn't put e.g. a transaxle in the MG. There was one guy who turned up with a Midget based on a Mallock which was a lot of fun but not legal!
Old 15 Jan 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3493113)   #147
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post

I'm sure it ran in 2014.
Much the same as the CNC Heads NW Championship. A mixture of Modsports, Modified Saloons, Caterham type cars and the odd DTM machine...and very good it is too

Old 16 Jan 2015, 20:18 (Ref:3493404)   #148
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
My Midgets were built under "Modsports" rules which did indeed have a lot of regulation regarding which engine, where it could be mounted etc. You couldn't put e.g. a transaxle in the MG. There was one guy who turned up with a Midget based on a Mallock which was a lot of fun but not legal!
Presumably that was Richard Ibrahim who was from the Bristol area. He raced a Midget with little success and then built in 1983 a Midget on a Mallock chassis with a 1594 Lotus twin cam for the Donington GT series. It was built as an open car but the Donington rules required closed cars.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 21:24 (Ref:3691882)   #149
smudge2031
Rookie

smudge2031 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a gt6 modsports car just now...does anyone recognise it...would good to get some history...It used to be red then black I think.....thanks
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg  
Old 28 Nov 2016, 22:39 (Ref:3691909)   #150
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Smudge. You now own my very first race car. Took me and my mates two years to build and I raced it in Modsport's way back in 1976.