Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Jun 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2237985)   #26
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Just wondered how a thread on Cortina shock absorber settings degenerated into "Larkins Ale". Its those Dutch nutters again, can't be serious for one minute like us sensible Brits !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Jun 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2238016)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
never a truer word spoken

I didn't realise your local was an internet cafe at lunchtime as well GOrdon ?
Old 26 Jun 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2238158)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Just wondered how a thread on Cortina shock absorber settings degenerated into "Larkins Ale". Its those Dutch nutters again, can't be serious for one minute like us sensible Brits !

Exactly,when I think back to how many times he's got me into trouble with a certain mod.............
Old 26 Jun 2008, 17:17 (Ref:2238169)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm here ..... and just wondering how you all intend to get this thread back on topic for our no doubt confused thread poster!
Old 26 Jun 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2238218)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
well gas dampers aren't allowed in historic racing . . .but liquids are 'free' . . . . . if only!
Old 26 Jun 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2238242)   #31
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Leo Landman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
our no doubt confused thread poster!
Not at all, John. It's inevitable really, isn't every topic in this section supposed to end on booze and meaningl... ehm, merry banter? I feel right at home here, and will bring this thread back on topic after I've tested some useful suggestions done by several gentlemen - for which I'm very grateful.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2238261)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope some of them work Leo,at least if they do,Esper wont appear to be toooo much of a bad influence on us.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2238379)   #33
national8
Rookie

national8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What should I do here?
Attached Thumbnails
cortina001.jpg  
Old 27 Jun 2008, 03:58 (Ref:2238487)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Pray ??
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:03 (Ref:2238525)   #35
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
That happened to me at Snett once. I turned the steering to the right and found it "landed perfectly" (good job there was a bit of run off)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Jun 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2238549)   #36
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
bit too much pug in the drivers side sill ?
Old 27 Jun 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2238698)   #37
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
bit too much pug in the drivers side sill ?
Funny you should say that but the P38 is in the roof ,as when we got the shell it was sitting under a couple of other cars. All that weight up high would do it ! Aluminium roof is next on the agenda

OK you Cortina owners now you know how to cure the problem I wont charge for that Leo

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 27 Jun 2008 at 12:15.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2238736)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
my Dad had a Dolly sprint once and someone cut out and stole the webasto !

he had an ally sheet pop rivetted on to cover the hole

only in winter like
Old 27 Jun 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2238797)   #39
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I have seen this before it is usually due to the shocker having insufficient travel in droop. Jack it up and make sure you have at least 4" of droop. If the shocker is so stiff in rebound that it holds the wheel up it will also normally cause what feels like axle tramp under heavy braking.

The other cause is the addition of anti-tramp bars that convert the axle into an anti-roll bar - a 2" anti-roll bar on the rear would make driving it... er... exciting!

And remember sideways is fun and crowd pleasing but slow.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2240258)   #40
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Time for an update.
Last Saturday I spent 5 20 mins sessions at Zandvoort to sort out the adjustable shock absorbers.
On a scale of 0 - 24 clicks (open - closed) the car had been running 12 front, 17 rear (i.e. medium front shocks and harder rear shocks) which hadn't felt right and the car occasionally lifted its inside rear wheel in corners.

Starting with 12 F / 1 R and changing only one end at a time, I finally arrived at 24 F / 10 R in the last session. It felt a LOT better. The handling was crisper and more predictable now. No more lurid slides. It still lifted the inside rear wheel, but only rarely.
Unfortunately my laptimer didn't work (electrical gremlins - another can of worms) so I can't say if the car was quicker as a result. But I have reason to believe that I found a few seconds, simply because I could keep up with cars that would usually drive away from me!

Not sure if 24/10 is the optimum ratio - I ran out of time. But does it look like an acceptable setting to you?

Now I'm coming back to what Zefarelly wrote:
'hard dampers in the dry, soft in the wet'.
If 24/10 is works well in the dry, how much should I turn the shocks down when the track is wet?
Since we're heading for the Nordschleife this weekend, the answer to that one could be very interesting.
Old 1 Jul 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2241377)   #41
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pom pom pom call burton for some new springs 500 pound at least And do something with the rake of the car first....it looks like a hotrod

Last edited by LC driver; 1 Jul 2008 at 12:16.
Old 1 Jul 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2241437)   #42
Leo Landman
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands

I know, I know, but first things first. The to-do list is growing every day. And somehow everything is twice as complicated, expensive and time-consuming as seems reasonable...
Old 1 Jul 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2241460)   #43
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
thats racing, it'd be that same if you tried racing a shopping trolley!

springs for the front are £40 or so, not an expensive upgrade
Old 1 Jul 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2241546)   #44
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Soime do race shopping trolleys - they're called 2CVs
Old 1 Jul 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2241651)   #45
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Landman
I know, I know, but first things first. The to-do list is growing every day. And somehow everything is twice as complicated, expensive and time-consuming as seems reasonable...
Maybe buying springs should be the first thing to do if you want to change the setup of the car. Also change as I said the rake of the car. Everything you are doing now must be done again after changing rake and springs.

Buy the way welcome in the world called racing, it's expensive.
Old 1 Jul 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2241666)   #46
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Hope some of them work Leo,at least if they do,Esper wont appear to be toooo much of a bad influence on us.
sensible brits i would say a sensible 3000 straight 6 and no -clicks- on the armstrongs , common! this is historic racing
Old 1 Jul 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2241726)   #47
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
And long may it be so Esper,but the way it seems to be going,I think we should be making the most of it before the FIA have us racing in straight lines !!
Old 2 Jul 2008, 06:20 (Ref:2241985)   #48
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
espers always wanted to get into drag . . . is that what your saying Terry ?
Old 2 Jul 2008, 06:57 (Ref:2241992)   #49
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
espers always wanted to get into drag . . . is that what your saying Terry ?
Dont put words into my mouth Zef.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2242004)   #50
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I remember when i started crcuit racing in Road Saloons in a Sunbeam Ti I read the rules to literally and raced with the standard springs cut down and try as I might and with a good engine I could not get on the pace in fact a report by some wag in MN said they had never seen a car oversteer and understeer at the same time. Then I caught one if the organisers of the series changing road springs on the sly behind the workshops at Snett so I though sod it I will do the same do for the next race I had 190 springs on the front and uprated at the rear and the thing became a front runner overnight so if it was me I would get those springs right first even miss an entry to pay for them if money is tight.