Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Jun 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2898359)   #1
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Five Great Memories of Le Mans 2011

We've had the "Five Things to Bring" and the "Five Things to Leave at Home," so now we can celebrate the Five Great Memories from this year's race. What will you remember about 2011 when you're in your dotage, sitting by the fire with grandchildren at your knee?

I'm still working out my Top Five, but maybe someone else wants to chime in?

Provisional possibilities for me might be:
- being friends with the one poste with a key to a private set of HOT showers;
- world-record speed grocery shopping;
- an orange feather boa (don't ask);
- keeping my fingers crossed for the Robertson's podium finish the entire last hour of the race;
- watching the Legends come down Les Hunaudieres on their first race lap, five wide (eek).

What are YOUR five greatest memories of this year's incredible Le Mans?
keke
Old 13 Jun 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2898361)   #2
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Provisional'.....'possibilities'....could you possibly be more unsure....?

As the thread starter maybe it would have been better to avoid posting your list until you had some 'definites'.....just a thought.....
Old 13 Jun 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2898406)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
seems a bit churlish hubble - especially as you don't offer any positive contribution yet
Old 13 Jun 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2898413)   #4
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
seems a bit churlish hubble - especially as you don't offer any positive contribution yet
I didn't go...nor did I watch it as I was away from home for the weekend....but I was interested to see what other people memories were.....

Not churlish at all really, just if you're going to start a thread at least say SOMETHING......
Old 13 Jun 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2898450)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
I didn't go...nor did I watch it as I was away from home for the weekend....but I was interested to see what other people memories were.....

Not churlish at all really, just if you're going to start a thread at least say SOMETHING......
Bad weekend?

racerkeke's post seems perfectly good to me. Well written, well constructed and suggests some events that might elicit suggestions from others rather than just making a statement.

I can't see how that can possibly be construed as some sort of set of negative attributes in what sets out to be a discussion forum.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2898452)   #6
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Bad weekend?
Not at all.....

All I said in my original post was that it might have been better to not list 'provisional possibilities', but wait until he had some 'definites'

What's wrong with that?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2898453)   #7
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
What's wrong with that?
Just a needless post. Much like this one.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 00:28 (Ref:2898494)   #8
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly, maybe, need-to-think-about-it-a-bit-more-but-probably-this, likely my 5 moments in no particular order:

- 18 hours in and being able to capture the top 3 in a single photo
- 6 hours later seeing the top 2 cross the line 15 seconds apart
- Round of applause from the crowd as McNish stepped out of his car unharmed
- Seeing the Robertson Ford cross the finish line on the podium
- Ford Chicane from the big wheel. Best 5€ I ever spent

Dishonourable mention
- Freezing and barely staying awake in the tribunes overnight despite plenty of caffeine, a fascinating lead battle and 600hp going past every 15 seconds to help
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:37 (Ref:2898654)   #9
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm... In no particular order.

- The start from the Dunlop Chicane, seeing 56 cars charge through as one.
- Sunrise at Mulsanne corner, sat on the bank with a croissant watching the cars pass.
- The final pit stops for the lead cars, Peugeot fans thinking they were going to lead it when the 908 left it's stall first then Audi fans taking over when the R18 left its pit a few seconds later.
- The round of applause when McNish left his car, it lasted for ages, coupled with the look on Wolfgang Ulrich's face, showed the wonderful human side.
- Watching the GTE Pro lead battle late in the race from Indianapolis, the two of us cheering as we saw the Corvette come through ahead of the Ferrari while all around us had not been following it.

And many, many more.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2898939)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
My top memories will be

The Audi pit visit, just how do they keep that garage so tidy
The ten tenths meeting
Standing at the dunlop bridge large screen side seeing the 3 cars go past and then hearing a noise looking up to see Mcnish flying into the barriers right where I was standing afew minutes earlier
Quick pop to the loo and on coming out, silence, missing the second audi crash
Holding my breath as the leading audi gets a tap from an LMP2 with minutes to go.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2898970)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Again, like Keke, my thoughts are very much provisional, as I haven't had time to fully take in what I enjoyed all last week - so no criticism from me for the way the thread was started....

Near the top of the list:-
  • Ten Tenths meeting - just superb!
  • Audi pit visit - hugely enjoyable
  • Spending the week in great company - thanks James, Tony and Tim
  • Foie gras nearly every day.....
  • A great race between two great teams

That'll do for starters!
Old 15 Jun 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2899626)   #12
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
less provisional as time goes on

Thanks, you guys, for sticking up for me!

I composed that first post after a week of commissaire duty in my second language, driving to Calais in the driving rain, 4 hours' sleep in the car waiting for our Chunnel train and then travelling back to a friend's house outside Bristol for my first wi fi in a week, but before a shower and real sleep. So I think I had good reason to call my Top Five provisional.

Now back in Canada, but still in full-blown post Le Mans depression. Unpacking dirty laundry (still with French pine needles and heather attached, in some cases) and many little mementos (Pesca stickers, anyone?) is a contributing factor. I'm gonna HATE going back to work this afternoon.

And PS. Hubble, does my avatar look like a "he" to you?

A l'annee prochaine!
keke
Old 15 Jun 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2899657)   #13
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
- Having perfectly cleaned Toilets and showers at Houx campsite ( the French madam deserves a medal for that )
- The mix of good racing, a nice beer and meeting nice people.
- The Ford Gt crew on the podium.
- Seeing the reaction after the race in the pitlane of all the Peugeot people, they congratulated all the Audi men that came past them, specially the Dr Ullrich/Quesnel hug was good to see!
- Seeing the Audi drivers escape some nasty crashes, thank you Audi for giving them one hell of a solid car!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2899955)   #14
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Great weekend as always so many great memories:

- Audi Pit visit - very impressed with how open and accommodating they were
- Seeing the relief on the Audi Crews faces after the accidents when it was clear the drivers were OK and then the sheer joy when Lotterer crossed the line to win.
- Standing on the bank by the campsite on Sunday morning about 8.00am seeing Lotterer overtake the Pug going round the outside of a corvette, whilst the pug went through the inside.
- Many great memories of spending 6 days with some great friends and have a great time from the moment we met on Wednesday until we got home on Monday.
- The ten tenths meeting and the generosity of our French hosts for that event
Old 16 Jun 2011, 07:10 (Ref:2899983)   #15
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have watched from home but some great moments nontheless:

-the facial expressions in the Audi garages during the entire race and the great moment of relief when chequered flag dropped
-I have pulled my first all nighter since MotorsTV quit the full 24 hour of 24 hours coverage. Still I find the MotorsTV coverage way better as they even broadcasted from scrutineering and parade du mans live but this year came close
-our Ten Tenth Chatroom from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. Absolutely priceless entertainment for everyone who joined us there as well as a meeting of people you only ever see once a year and the quote of the race by fieldofdreams79 : "I am a pervert"
-again the facial expressions in the Team Pescarolo garage when the Pescarolo had to retire because it showed well how much heart goes into it
-the moment it became clear to me that it must have been some sort of food poisoning which kept me praying to the lord of the bowl and that the almost 2 liter of camomile and ginger tea I drank between the end of the yellow after Rockys crash and 6am have helped big time
Old 16 Jun 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2899984)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There seems to have been a little bit of the problematic tummy around this year - I didn't suffer at all, but I know others who did!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2900103)   #17
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
In no particular order:
-hearing the Mazda coming down Hunadieres while standing at Mulsanne
-arriving on Houx campsite on sunday afternoon. Le Mans 2011 had started for me!
-joining the ACO inner-circle guided tour at the scrutineering
-Saint Saturnin
-the final Peugeot/Audi pitstop. Hearing the applause when the Pug left the pits, and then when the Audi left it also, only 8 seconds in front of the Peugeot.

Cheers,

Vincent
Old 16 Jun 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2900212)   #18
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My Top 5
1: The start of the race
2: Watching sunrise over the Dunlop Bridge and Tertre Rouge
3: Meeting the Ten Tenths group
4: Watching the end of the race
5: Meeting Johnny Herbert - yes, really!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 13:53 (Ref:2900266)   #19
photopigg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dover, Kent
photopigg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmmmm, where do I start, to many great memories for 5 but here gose

1) the start, as some one said earlier see 56 cars going in to the Dunlop chicane on that first lap

2) the Mazda 787, standing at the Porsche curves you could hear the Mazda all round the curcuit (also brings back memories of 1989 for me, my 1st vist to LM)

3) meeting the RLM crew at the travel destinations camp site on friday lunch time

4) Dawn, again standing at Prosche curves & seeing the sun come up

5) that final hour, standing opisite the Peugeot pits & the crowd cheering

and many more that I could mention, just a AWSOME weekend
Old 16 Jun 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2900506)   #20
stylish
Rookie

England
United Kingdom
stylish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it was my first proper visit (went on a bus 18 years ago and left straight after the race) so found camping from thursday to monday great.
my top 5 have to be.

1. The Audi through the Porsche Curves, no noise but huge speed and grip....

2. The final hour, a real cliff hanger and awesome to watch it unfold..

3. The Audi drivers walking away from some huge impacts..

4. The laughs i had with my colleagues from work who i went with, never a dull moment.

5. The travel destinations team and the camp, really clean and great hosts.

see you next year...........
Old 16 Jun 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2900527)   #21
Mike007
Rookie

England
Orpington, Kent
Mike007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great racing
Great safety from the cars designs - notably the Audis
Great company
Great food
Great campsite IT and entertainment

Oh, and something about a goat, a car called Denis, a reliable TVR, a mad yorkshireman and a hot and steamy pink babe magnet!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2900650)   #22
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
St Saturnin.
Audi pit visit.
Driver parade.
The Race itself.
Sunday roast to top it all off !